BillyVance

America's BEST living actor

I don't think people are stupid - just 'Americocentric'.

I think Americans are "Americocentric"
I think French are "Francocentric"
I think Chinese are "Sinocentric"
I think Japanese are Japocentric"
I think Spanish are "Spanocentric"
I think South Africans are "SouthAfricocentric"

So what? He who protests most loudly and all that....It's amusing also.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

To a degree of course, but the phenomenon is a particularly strong American characteristic... but lets not bother these nice people in their actors thread hey.

Well, there is no good reason why the thread should only include "America's" BEST living actor, should it? I just answered the living and best parts, as that is all that I felt was truly important criteria for an actor in movies, today.

Most of your list involve actors with only one persona - their own.

John Travolta and Tom Hanks do a good job at playing most any personality type, but surely the master at this is Dustin Hoffman, and he isn't on the list at all.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

John Travolta and Tom Hanks do a good job at playing most any personality type, but surely the master at this is Dustin Hoffman, and he isn't on the list at all.

I can't believe I left Dustin off... with roles like Tootsie and Rainman, this guy is one of the very best... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was really hoping you'd be the one to come in with some dead guys too. I figured it would a decent addition. Dustin Hoffman is very versatile....

Doesn't anyone want to give credit to Don Knotts or Tim Conway?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was really hoping you'd be the one to come in with some dead guys too. I figured it would a decent addition. Dustin Hoffman is very versatile....

Doesn't anyone want to give credit to Don Knotts or Tim Conway?

In much the same way as John Wayne is the Greatest Living American?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Gene Hackman is an actor that always does a good job even when he is in a dog of a movie.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

One of my all time favorites is Kevin Kline. Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington and Ed Norton are up there too.

I loved Kevin Kline's performance in "A Fish Called Wanda". Classic! :ph34r:

Tom Hanks has had so many great movies I can't think of them all...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Come on! Lay off the Pitt man! He did suck a bit in Seven. But he rocked out in FIght Club. Plus he is hot. It's always good to see Brad with his shirt off.:)
I don't care if Bale is Welsh. He is fantastic. See The Machinist, and THAT is acting.

I agree, Robin Williams is annoying at best.
Jen

Edward Norton is a good actor, but he needs another great film besides "American History X" before he gets an upgrade to Great Actor.

Well I think Fight Club makes him worthy of the upgrade.

Damn it... you're right. He is one of the best ever... So many great movies, and in most genres too...

Ed Norton....yummm...

I also think Gary Oldman has sold his soul to satan, that man simply becomes his characters.
Because life is an adventure - it may not be the one you planned, but then it wouldn't be an adventure!

I voted for Morgan Freeman... I love that guy

But two other greats are.. John Cusack (not too mention he's yummy too ...;) and Billy Bob Thornton....

I try to watch anything that has all three of those guys in it.

Edit to add Joaquin Phoenix... He's a great actor too, he so nailed the part of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line, what a FANTASTIC movie!!!!

edward norton is just amazing - he has TONS of great flicks - you just need to go out there and watch them

christian bale is great as well - i've been a fan since the emperor of the sun - i still love newsies and swing kids - he's awesome

brad pitt is great - but i voted for johnny depp - he is one of the most diverse actors out there and is incredibly believable -

IMO tom hanks and john travolta are WAY over rated - yeah they had a coulple of good roles - are they good? sure, but are they the best - no way - i'm done with them -
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me