skymama

Need Book suggestions

I've printed this thread and started looking for my 10yr B| He is just getting into reading (sort of) and I think if I can keep his interest up it will lead to nothing but good things.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher was an amazing tale of a fictional (obviously) future on earth. I was enraptured by it as a kid. She might enjoy it.

Also, The Magic of Xanth series by Piers Anthony was good, starting with "A Spell For Chameleon". I've always had a soft spot in my heart for that series...and it's set in an alternate version of the Florida peninsula. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I liked A Wrinkle in Time when I was about her age....but what do I know?
I like murder myteries and war stories!:)

Holy CRAP! I was about to suggest the entire trilogy, including "A Wind in the Door" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet"! I LOVED those books!
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Well, I love stephen King, not all of his books are all that, but the Dark Tower series is awesome!!! There are seven in all. The series takes you accross parallel worlds where this gunslinger named Roland is on a quest to find the dark tower and fix what is wrong with it before all worlds that spin around it collapse onto eachother and fall into darkness where the crimson king will rule. I definately reccomend it, far better than the harry potter books and the lord of the rings books and it took something like 20 years in the makeing.
We die only once, but for such a very long time.

I'll believe in ghosts when I catch one in my teeth.

Fantasy: Just about anything that Misty Lackey has had a hand in. Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion is a good read, as are her other series (mostly space opera). I'd also strongly recommend anything by Anne McCaffrey.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series is a very good read, as well.

Sharon Lee and Steve Miller have the Liaden series, set in an alternate timeline that has been described as "a comedy of manners". I can't tell you exactly what it is about the series, but it definitely draws you in.

Both David Weber and John Ringo have some great science fiction collaborations (as well as their own, standalone series) and have branched out into some fantasy/alternate history series.

All of my books by the authors above (and others like Heinlein, Drake, Flint, etc) are on my "comfort shelf" - they are books I go back to year after year. It's always like coming back home and visiting old friends...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706