skymama

Need Book suggestions

If you want to get her something that falls into that category and might end up being on her college reading list, then get her the series of paperbacks written by Carlos Castaneda. They are quite suspenseful and hard to put down once you start into them and she might even learn a thing or two. Of course you could always get her the series by Kurt Vonnegut if she hasn't already read some of those as there is plenty of outlandish stuff in his works as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I read that book at about that age and was my favorite sci-fi book for a long time...

Dave is absolutely right! Enders Game is the best sci fi book Ive ever read. I read it as a senior in HS and now im a college student and its still one of my all time favorites. THe novel is also a part of a series so if she likes it then you can get her the whole set.

Ive read all of the LOTR and Harry Potters multiple times and Enders Game blows them all away.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Would she enjoy history?

The forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer
Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
Lincoln - David Herbert Donald
American Sphinx (The Character of Thomas Jefferson) - Joseph J. Ellis

The Reluctant Admiral (Yamamoto and the Imperial Navy) - Hiroyuki Agawa

Dutch - Edmund Morris

p.s I only looked at the pictures

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I read that book at about that age and was my favorite sci-fi book for a long time...

Dave is absolutely right! Enders Game is the best sci fi book Ive ever read. I read it as a senior in HS and now im a college student and its still one of my all time favorites. THe novel is also a part of a series so if she likes it then you can get her the whole set.

Ive read all of the LOTR and Harry Potters multiple times and Enders Game blows them all away.

I found Speaker for the Dead a slow and painful read even though I loved Enders Game
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I was just in Target and bought the 2 books in the alagaesia trilogy that are out. She'll probably like that a movie is coming out based on the first book next month. Keep the suggestions coming, she's a fast reader if she likes the book.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I really enjoyed "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" but she might not enjoy that as much...

This is from the UofF English Department's website for their sophomore level poetry class:

* Norton Anthology of Modern Poems
* Seamus Heaney, Field Work
* Elizabeth Bishop, Complete Poems
* Gjertrud Schnackenberg, Supernatural Love: Poems 1976–1992
* Anthony Hecht, Collected Earlier Poems
* James McAuley, Versification

Another UofF reading list. This one for a class that delves into the "American Novel."

Readings may include Samuel Richardson’s Pamela, Laurence Sterne’s Sentimental Journey, William Hill Brown’s The Power of Sympathy, Hannah Webster Foster’s The Coquette, Susanna Rowson’s Charlotte Temple, Royall Tyler’s The Algerine Captive, William Godwin’s Caleb Williams, and Charles Brockden Brown’s Edgar Huntly, as well as critical works by Michael McKeon, Nancy Armstrong, Mikhail Bakhtin, Fredric Jameson, and Franco Moretti. Assignments will include weekly responses, two short papers to be turned in during the course of the semester, and a final, longer paper.

I'm sure that the above list would be the best thing to go with, especially if she wants to go to college. I picked UofF for my searching for obvious reasons; however, it would not be hard to find the listings for other colleges.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

- George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series might be an idea (the first book is "A Game of Thrones")

- Roger Zelazny's "Amber" books (the first series at least)

- John Crowley's "Little Big"

- Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" series

- Pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov

- Maybe something by R.E. Feist, Julian May, or Gordon R. Dickson

In the UK there are two series, entitled "SF Masterworks" and "Fantasy Masterworks" that are (re-)publishing pretty much all of the classics (e.g., Olaf Stapledon, Alfred Bester, Cordwainer Smith, E.R. Eddison, Jack Vance)

In the "suspense/mystery" category, I love the Dave Robicheaux detective novels by James Lee Burke. He's one of the most vivid writers around, and the series definitely hits the dark side of New Orleans and southern Louisiana. And if she likes them, I think there are about 13 in the series...;)

There is a little sex in them, but nothing super graphic. :P
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Look into Neil Gaiman's American Gods It has mystery, sci fi, magic, pagans...

I thought Anansi Boys and Underworld were significantly better. His book with Terry Pratchett Good Omens is also excellent, as well as being damn funny.

Terry Pratchett has written a large number of very good books. She might enjoy one or more of the Discworld novels. Guards, Guards is a particular favorite of mine.

How about books by Anne McCaffrey? Dragon Riders of Pern series.

I loved those! I still remember summers passed sitting under a tree wishing I had my own dragon. Threadfire! Fardles!! Great suggestion, and definitely a group of books that will keep her occupied for a while. And the Crystal Singer trilogy, too...those were wayyyy cool. The Ship Who Sang as well. Lots of Anne McCaffrey books out there that are fantasy, sci-fi, and perfect for a high school girl.

You also might want to consider the first few Dune books. I love the whole series, but it gets rather intense and pretty complicated, so it's not light reading.

And I'd also echo the Wrinkle in Time group by M. L'Engle. It gets very interesting, especially the last book. Introduction to tesseracts and black holes and mitochondria as well as being a wonderful adventure story with a female heroine as the good guy. Madeleine L'Engle has a great additional group of books, too, entwining science fiction and fantasy in a real world setting. Great stuff, classics all.

And last note, 'Mama...my father gave me a gift card tucked into a great book last year. I didn't realize it was there until I was about 1/2 way through the book, and it was for Barnes and Noble. I had some great fun going there and choosing which book to read next - several times. Gift cards are great, especially for a young lady. That way, you can get the first book in a series, tuck the card into it, and let her choose to buy the rest of them in the group, or choose something else.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Im her age... I have recently read Jennifer Weiners "Little Earthquakes" Nicholas Sparks "The Guardian, Night in Rodanthe, and the Wedding." Jodi Picoult "The Tenth Circle." And my favorite, "The Devil Wears Prada."
hope that helps.....
"The most wasted day of all is that upon which we have not laughed..." Nicholas Chamfort.

Snowcrash by Neil Stephenson.

That is a very good Sci-Fi book,even if it is an oldie.Too bad the rest of Stephenson's books aren't as good.

I'll also add that the book Starship Troopers is another excellent read(too bad the movie blew chuncks). Armor is also another good book in the same vein worth checking out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I thought of it, because I had given it to my niece, who is in HS. She liked it. I wouldn't recommend any his other books (I have only read Zodiac, Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon).

I've have given her other SciFi books like Idoru by William Gibson and some Octavia Butler.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

'Eyes of the Dragon' it was originally released under a secondary pen name but now I believe it is reprint under the more famous of his monikers : Stephen King. EXCELLENT BOOK, originally released under different name because the story line is SO different, then the novel genre for which he is most famous for. This one is a fantasional type, with a great storyline, and plot. And it tends to keep you interested and guessing throughout. Nothing like the Gore he is more famous for, except in the respect of how well written it is. She should love it !B|
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Some of my all time and recent favorites:

Enders Game - Orson Scott Card
-this book is responsible for making me the ravenous reader I am today

Neuromancer - William Gibson
-classic sci-fi

Snow Crash - Neil Stephenson
-awesome, though slow at times. Cryptonomicon is more well rounded though missing the "oh my god that is awesome" factor

Cryptonomicon - Neil Stephenson
-really, I like just about everything I've read of Stephenson's

Dune - Frank Herbert
-absolute classic. An icon.

Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein
-same as above

Downbelow Station - C.J. Cherryh
-Cherryh has the most believable, strong woman characters I've ever read. Probably helps that the author is a Woman herself. She also has a very unique and interesting writing style

Lilith's Brood - Octavia Butler

Nathan's Run - John Gilstrap

Diaspora - Greg Egan
-I think about the contents of this book more often than just about anything else, except perhaps Dune.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Duglas Adams
-absolutely required reading for any goodfball/sci-fi fan

Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
-awesome, and I liked the movie too!

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories - H.P. Lovecraft

Tons more, but I think that should do for now! Any one (or five) of these books would make excellent presents.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.