daniel52587

Skydive helmets are useless

I WAS going to buy a bonehead mindwarp. I recently went to my dz to take the packing class and my rigger had a bonehead gunner (pretty much the same thing) sitting on the counter. So I hold it and I was shocked. It is so thin. That helmet offers NO protection what so ever. I will never buy a skydive helmet. $200...FOR THAT. HA. My rigger told me all skydive helmets are pretty much like that. He recommended a protec snowboard helmet. They have sxp multiple impact protection for maximum protection. And they have ear pads that are detachable. He even has an audible in his ear pad. And it is only $50. Why would you ever 4x the money for 100% less protection.

My factory diver saved my face and life on more than one occassion. but i agree that they offer little protection compared to the other "non" skydiving helmets. definitely use what works for you.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

>Why would you ever 4x the money for 100% less protection.

For face/chin protection, good visibility, lack of fogging, keeping the wind out of your eyes, good oxygen compatibility, and protection against basic bumps and thumps. I've used perhaps a dozen helmets over the years, from pro-tecs to Freezr 2's - and they've saved me from serious injury more than once.

If you really want basic impact protection for a low price, you can't beat a Pro-Tec.

Not me. I would like to know if someone collides with my canopy or I have a rough landing; at least my head will be ok.:S

I'm an idiot. In my mind I was thinking "people with that particular helmet maybe aren't as concerned with impact protection." I hate when not quite everything you're thinking to type makes it into the post window.

Have you ever been on a fast four way..., probably not. knees and elbows go by so fast. you have to trust the others who are with you. No matter how good they are, everyone screws up from time to time. You catch a knee an elbow or even a head butt from time to time. Without being to big and heavy, these helmets provide some protection. without these helmets, we would have lost several friends over the years. You should realy think about what you are saying before you say it. maybe get more then one instructors opinion before you nuke a whole section of the skydiving industry.

For me the factory diver provides a quiet place for my brain to work. when I am on a hot skydive or doing a great video I don't need any distractions. the noise level inside these helmets helps you shut out your environment a little. When you are operating at the top of your game every little bit helps. I don't jump without a helmet very often, unless I need to hear like CReW, Students,Ect..,

Give these expensive little trinkets a chance, you might be surprised.

Now how bout those stupid cypress things, now those are stupid. $1000 for something only your rigger ever gets to touch. I use my brain and save a lot. I will never buy a cypress.:P
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

One good note about hte bonehead it also provides some level of hearing protection. Most skydiving accidents are such that for the most part a crash rated helmet will protect your head, but what about the rest of your body? Skydiving helmets are really some cool bump caps. Most skydiving helmets are also designed to hold audible altimiters. Plus the reasion bone heads are so much is the fact they are carbon fiber.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I've been jumping a long time, in the old days with motorcycle helmets, protecs in between, and a good full face in recent years. I prefer the modern full-face skydiving helmet. I get fewer bloody noses. The protection is vastly better than with no helmet, better face protection than with a hockey helmet. And, if you want to try it, I am willing to hit you in the head with a baseball bat with and without a bonehead gunner, and you decide if it is worthless.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

If you read down the post, you'll see that someone hit the nail right on the head. You picked up a bonehead. Boneheads are Carbon Fiber. Now go pick up a FULLY CARBON FIBER motorcycle helmet and it will be no where NEAR as heavy as a regular helmet. I'm not saying that the bonehead is motorcycle friendly or offers more protection, but it's light b/c of the carbon fiber and you need to be able to move your head on a swivel. Put a heavy POS on your head and start dartin your head around, especially w/ all the other movement and you're liable to get a neck injury. Carbon fiber is strong as shit but light as hell...thus for all the carbon mods on my car and a lot of other gasoline junkies...though my gasoline junkin days pretty much ended w/ the beginning of my skydiving career.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I don't want to stir up a firestorm here, but as a noob, I have a couple of helmet questions.

First off, I'm very familiar with the Snell and DOT ratings. I can see how CF would be very desirable for those applications as well as a skydiving brainbucket.

Second, I really like the idea of full face coverage be it for protection in a RW gone amiss or something a bit worse like a tail strike. I know these are somewhat rare to rare, but all it takes is one pop to the noggin and you might be toasted.

Which brings me to the questions. Is there any system to rate the impact resistance, etc of any skydiving helmet? So far, it seems that everybody goes on what looks cool or what somebody likes, a over b. How do the closure systems differ on the face shields? One more reliable than another? What about the chin straps? One brand better than another?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I really, really, don't like the basic Protec.

One brand better than another?

That's like asking who you should date...!

It's a matter of personal choice.

Check out the stock at a good sized gear store, or ask around the DZ.
Heavier helmets usually have better protection, but the trade off is the weight and to many that's a consideration.

Some (like me) don't care for full face helmets, some reduce visibility slightly, and I like the wind noise...besides, they look like a fish bowl with beady eyes peering out at ya!

I like the way 'sky-system' helmets are made, and look....but still I prefer a frap hat.

Little or no protection, ugly as sin...but do offer a convenient way to carry the head after the crash!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"a crash rated helmet will protect your head, but what about the rest of your body?"

Protecting our brain is hugely important because:
-Our brain is who we are (unlike our tibias)
-Our brain tolerates injury quite poorly (unlike our muscle and skin)
-Surgeons can do little to repair our brains (unlike our femurs)

I spent a big hunk of my adult life caring for trauma patients. Generally, if the brain and spinal cord are intact... we can fix the rest. If the brain and or spinal cord are damaged, our ability to fix the damage is FAR more limited.

Protecting our brain makes really good sense even if we cannot afford similar protection to the rest of our body.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I really think about potential brain injury to what little brain I have (after all, I like jumping out of airplanes :P)

Reason being, I have a close relative that suffered a closed head injury. Looking at him, if I had to choose between a fashion statement or a wheelchair, well, I can't get too much further down the dorky scale according to my daughter. Sure beats drooling in a wheelchair long before I turn 80.

No helmet, of any kind, of any rating, will protect your head if you fall to earth. Most any helmet will keep your head protected against a knee, shoulder, hip, foot, or other body part hitting you in RW.
In my case, I'm a helmet-hater, never wear one on my motorcycle, and only wore one at the DZ because sub 100 jumpers were required to wear em'. Well...on a jump where I was fortunately wearing my Mindwarp, I had a premature deployment while waiting for another jumper to get set up for a horny gorilla. I slammed into his chest with my chest (I was front float), then was turned around and slammed the side of the aircraft with my head. My helmet has the scrapes and blue paint embedded, and the aircraft has nasty scrapes where my head hit. I was unconscious for about 4-5k, and damned lucky to be alive. Had I not been wearing my Mindwarp, there is little doubt in my mind that my head would have been severely injured.
I don't think helmets are there for anything super serious, but to guard against the "OH SHIT!" moments, kind of like insurance...there for when shit happens, but it won't protect you from much else.
All that said, I tried wearing my motorcycle helmet one day just for giggles. It worked fine, but it's much heavier, and was much harder on my neck. I don't know how the old guys used to do it with those heavy helmets.
then again, I jump a camera most of the time.:S:P

I jump at Cessna DZ and so my decision to get a helmet was based on factors a little different than most. Mainly I use it to protect against bumping my head in the plane when we are boarding and moving around getting ready to exit. A 182 is pretty small and there are many places to bump your head. Also I needed a place to put my audible. I know it wont do too much but it just makes the experience more enjoyable.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Have you ever been on a fast four way..., probably not. knees and elbows go by so fast. you have to trust the others who are with you. No matter how good they are, everyone screws up from time to time. You catch a knee an elbow or even a head butt from time to time.

Now how bout those stupid cypress things, now those are stupid. $1000 for something only your rigger ever gets to touch. I use my brain and save a lot. I will never buy a cypress.:P

??

You say that kicks and blows are a part of the game, but no chance they'll incapacitate you? Of course, with a reserve loaded @1.9, it probably wouldn't do you much good.

You say that kicks and blows are a part of the game, but no chance they'll incapacitate you? Of course, with a reserve loaded @1.9, it probably wouldn't do you much good.

W H O O S H ! :S

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"