skip

Is my reserve cable too short?

I have had a low profile reserve handle installed on my Javelin this weekend, with a repack, and I have a suspicion that the cable on the new handle/pin is too short. I ordered the handle from Sun Path and provided them with size of my container – so speculation is that it is sized to fit. Perhaps I have gotten a tab bit big for the rig?

Here are three pictures
1. The rig lying on the ground.
2. Me holding the rig up by the left shoulder strap.
3. The rig on standing straight up.

Thanks

np

Hey, you might find my thread interesting on this topic... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2499296;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

I believe mine looked pretty similar length to yours, maybe a tad shorter and people recommended I changed it, which I did. Have you thought of consulting the manufacturer or your rigger?

Thanks for the info and advice – the more I look at this the more uncomfortable I am with it. I have sent the pictures off to Sunpath and will see my rigger this week.

Is it possible to swap out this handle with my old handle without repacking the reserve? I am looking to get some skydives in on Wednesday after noon and am hoping this can be done quickly by my rigger.

Thanks again

np

Dave DeWolf was saying that there is a way to take the pin out without opening the container, and he was going to show it at PIA. Did anyone see this presentation? He sort of showed me once but I don't remember it. It involved several pull up cords, a temp pin, and a hemostat.

I think I could do it with just a temp pin.

I'll take that bet.

Skip: That type of harness "Stretches" under a load, especially a shock load. That cable is pretty short so you are being wise to have it replaced.

In agreement with Gravitygirl, the harness appears to be a bit tight which doesn't help matters either.

Good luck.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks for the advise all - Thanks for the advice all – I have grown a bit since buying this rig second hand. I will be having the old rip cord back on which had plenty of slack. Given this, other then being a bit uncomfortable is there any dangerous aspect of the short laterals. I would love to run out and buy a container built for me however that is going to have to wait a few months.

Thanks again

I have a little more time to extrapolate on the "too small" comment so here's another question for you.

Have you ever had bruised biceps from an opening?

It's already fairly common to get "mystery bruises" at the top of the bicep but if they're pretty big, it's due to the way your harness gets loaded.

The load on a harness should be pretty much inline. In front of the shoulders down the sides to the leg straps. Yours is taking a crooked path. The primary load is indicated by the red line. Look at how close the upper junction is to the bicep. Also look at the lower junction at the bottom of the ripcord. In the plane, a standard D-handle will tend to be pushed out.

The secondary load is marked in white. The Chest strap is the main part of the secondary load.

It's not necessarily a danger but the additional load is there. As already pointed out, the harness is spread out pretty wide due to the short laterals.

Here's the picture. Another kind dz.commer added the lines on the existing photo.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

This thread is very timely - I've recently got my new (custom) rig from Aerodyne and was wondering the same about my reserve cable. Pictures show me just wearing the rig in a normal standing position as well as arching, when the nipple nearly touches the D-ring (no movement of the pin on a number of jumps though).
I do have a soft reserve handle to be installed at the next reserve repack, so we shall see. There's also a pic of my laterals, which seem to have a similar kink. If the laterals were any longer, though, the main lift web would be coming round my front, which surely wouldn't be right?! However, the kink that is there does seem to be putting some strain on the stitching (last pic).
I've emailed all this info to Aerodyne and am awaiting their reply, but anyone else's input would be welcome...
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

This thread is very timely - I've recently got my new (custom) rig from Aerodyne and was wondering the same about my reserve cable. ........
I've emailed all this info to Aerodyne and am awaiting their reply, but anyone else's input would be welcome...

As far as the reserve cable goes, I would NOT do any hybrid jumps, as the added pressure of someone hanging from your harness would dislodge your pin some...If not all of the way...
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. Yes – I have experienced bruising on my biceps since the day I first jumped the rig, not huge but defiantly bruising,,, amazing. I will call sunpath today to see what we can do about making this rig fit me better. I noticed a Lateral adjustment option on their repair page.

Thanks again

np

What is the point of having hip rings when they don't prevent the 'kink' in the harness? Many, but not all, rigs show exactly the same 'kink'.

Your cable does seem too short, which brings up a point - It is difficult to check the amount of slack in a soft reserve handle.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What is the point of having hip rings when they don't prevent the 'kink' in the harness? Many, but not all, rigs show exactly the same 'kink'.

Your cable does seem too short, which brings up a point - It is difficult to check the amount of slack in a soft reserve handle.

Indeed, I have wondered whether the rings should be where the laterals meet the MLW as that's where the articulation needs to be. Having thought more about it, the hip rings need to be in-line with the hips (i.e. on the outer part of the leg) and the MLW comes from the chest at the front, so it's going to have to head round to the side of the body to some degree. It all seems to line up when I'm suspended from the canopy though...

I'd also thought about the slack in the soft reserve handle issue - I guess the only reliable way would be to remove the handle from the harness and see how much play it has.
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Grant,

I would advise against jumping that rig until you have a longer reserve cable. On most rigs the cable housing stretches on opening as the harness stretches and shifts and there's a very good chance that, with that little slack in your cable, it could easily deploy your reserve. Obviously no one here can see the rig on you, so take any advice with a grain of salt, but at the very least please have a rigger take a look at the rig while you're wearing it before you jump it.

Having your reserve deploy while your main is opening could really ruin your day.

Blue skies,

Amy