gontleman

When does it make sense to buy your gear?

Specifically I'm thinking about when it's appropriate to buy your harness/container. The issues I'm seeing in my mind are ordering a customer rig designed (according to the manufacturer) for lets say a 190 sq ft canopy (I assume there is a bit of packing bulk difference between 7-cell and 9-cell) and then a couple years later wanting to downsize to a 160-170. Where is the point at which a container is inappropriately large for your size canopy (after downsizing) and should that have a bearing on when you get your first harness?

Am I overcomplicating it or is it as simple as getting comfortable and proficient with a 1.0 WL (or whatever WL is determined by your instructor to be appropriate for your skill level) and ordering a rig based on a that WL with a size that would be fine with a downsize or two.

This isn't the most important thing nor the first thing I need to be thinking about but I'm a thinker and I like asking questions, hence my asking. :D

Hope this makes sense.

Any time after your graduate to solo status is appropriate. It does vary from person to person and situation to situation.

Keep a couple of things in mind.

A custom built container can handle at lease one downsize on the main parachute. Some even two depending on the manufacturer and canopy choices.

Secondly, when your time comes to downsize your container, it's not like you throw the container away and start from scratch. You can sell your container and use that money towards a new container.

Your main objective should be to get good, modern sport gear with the appropriate sized parachutes for your current skill level. The harness should fit you well for both safety and comfort reasons.

Depending on your budget, this could be all used gear, a combination of new and used components, or all new gear.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions, or just post them here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I agree wholeheartedly with Bonnie but i also like to advise newer jumpers to get about 50 or so jumps under their belts before they start looking to buy gear.

You see by the time you get to that number you *should* be at a canopy size on which you'll stay for the next few hundred jumps or so. Depending on your weight this is normally a canopy in the 190 to 170 range. Rent gear while making your way down through the 285's and 235's, etc and buy your peripheral gear in the mean time: alti, goggles, helmet, jumpsuit, etc.

As for buying new vs used gear, i am of the opinion that for your first 100 jumps your landings aren't always going to be perfect stand up landings so your gear will take a lot of wear, thus i advise people to buy used, that way when you get it dirty/ slide out landings and maybe trash a legstrap etc, it isn't so bad. It also allows you to spend less on gear and jump more - which was an issue for me.

Of course if money is no object, then the choice is yours :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I understand why, but depending on where you jump that is pretty tough. 40 jumps on rentals after AFF can run you a tab of over a thousand dollars.

I felt that for me the thousand dollars was better used on newer used gear. If I spent 40 jumps renting I wouldn't have been able to afford something that is freefly friendly, with a 2 year old AAD, and a nice main.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I've been thinking about the time to purchase gear as well. Here's a noob perspective on this. For what it costs to rent gear until I hit 100 jumps, I could put some more cash out and purchase a decent rig that

a)fits my carcass
b)has no unknown history (heat, storage, stuff spilled on it)
c)is correctly sized for at least one downsize without any mix/match
d)is gear that I will not have to unlearn any muscle memory to adapt to a newer rig
e)get a canopy (main/res) with lots of jumps

I've been watching the used gear classifieds, here and elsewhere. To see a used rig with the size main I'd like to fly coupled with a container/harness that fits me doesn't happen often. I'm 6'1 and 190. Most used gear I've seen is sized for shorter/lighter people. Most vendors I've spoken with are willing to work a package deal on a complete new rig that offers substantial savings over purchasing separately. For the moment, that's what I think I'm going to do. I only have to decide the actual wl to size the first main.

I'm 6'1 and 190. Most used gear I've seen is sized for shorter/lighter people.

1) You can get a harness resized for a few hundred dollars.

2) Weight (within reason) isn't too big of a deal. Harness size is a function of torso length which can be shared by people of wildly varying heights. At 5'10 with a 30.5" inseam I have 19-20" harnesses which would fit some one 6'1 with a 33.5" inseam, 6'3" at 36", or 5'8 at 28".

3) There's some wiggle room. An 18" harness isn't too bad for me. Smaller harnesses don't fit. I haven't run into one much too long.

I'll tell you what I did when I was off student status and why, and hopefully it helps.

I had enough cash and had a hard time finding a rig with a 210 canopy. After two months of searching I went for a complete new Icon with a pilot 210, cyp2 and smart. But, I ordered a container sized for a 190. Since most rigs allows one size up and down, i started at max, and now I'm useing a 170 in the same rig.

It not necessarily easy to find a single canopy when it's time to downsize, it depend on the market. Most canopies are sold with a rig(then I don't know how it's in the US, I live in norway)
Depending on the market, it might be wise to keep the original canopy. This way the rig might be worth more then if you sold the large canopy first, then the rig with the smallest possible canopy. Here in Norway, a 210 is rare, and therefore the market for a 210 is good. Good for me, since I kept my pilot 210 to sell it with the Icon when I'm ready for a new downsizeing.
Also, when you have invested approx $5000 in a new rig, you don't have to too pay much when buying a new rig. Of course, here are variables here as well(how old and well used to old one is, tie dye, embroideries blablabla), but still, the new rig might cost you less then a used one. Since I'm keeping my rigs( the next one, I don't think I'll sell for many years), to pay some more to have it built for me and to look the way I want it to be, is what I prefer. I don't pay thousands of $ for a uglybugly rig that'll stick with me for 4-5 years.

When I order my new rig, a Vector micron(with all the new stuff *drool* B|), I might have to add $1000 depending on what I get for my old rig.

But, I also experienced to have little money to jump for that season, and that sucked! I normally say that if you can afford 100 jumps that season and buy a new rig, go for it. But try to gain experience the first season, instead of having a new rig you can't use.

Hope this example helped you some.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no