Calvin19

Has anyone learned or taught to skydive in a very different way?

So, has anyone been taught to jump from a 'mentor'? or something like just being thrown out of an airplane?

so, as in, a very un-organised way, or an organised way, just never done before?

NOT-Static line, AFF, freefall progression, military stuff, etc.

So, has anyone been taught to jump from a 'mentor'? or something like just being thrown out of an airplane?

so, as in, a very un-organised way, or an organised way, just never done before?

Here we go again! :ph34r:

Didn't you cover this in a past hero story thread? ;)

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Here we go again! :ph34r:

Didn't you cover this in a past hero story thread? ;)

yeah, im just trying to get more than 15 minutes. sorry.

and im really wondering if it has been done, if at all. (i was lieing, remember?)

(i was lieing, remember?)

Yes I remember, you're getting quite a reputation for doing that. :|

Guess you ran out of "productive" or "real" things to talk about as far as you skydoiving, huh? :P

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

A couple of years ago, Greg Windmiller and I took Bill Jolly, D-26, up on his first skydive in over 30 years. He had over 4000 jumps when he quit, and came back to the sport briefly at 86 years old to go through the first jump course with his grandson, a Marine.

Bill told us about his first skydive. He bought a military surplus ("cheapo") main and harness/container, borrowed a chest mounted reserve from some Navy Rigger friends, and went looking for someone to take him up for a jump. He found a biplane cropduster pilot willing to let him perch on his wing for a ride to 3000 feet in exchange for $3.00.

Self-taught - not many of those around I would guess.
Arrive Safely

John

well sure... that sort of stuff happened 30 or 40 years ago...
usually after a night spent sitting on a barstool somewhere...:S
Too much booze mixed with too much machismo, mixed with a dare or two, and voila'
next morning somebody is 'lending' his protege'
his 4 pin pioneer and 28 foot 7 TU and up they go, and out the door...[:/]
tumble tumble tumble pull!!!!. the cheapo works as advertised, the newbie, hopefully doesn't break everything from his hips down, and the mentor..thanks his lucky stars that he danced around manslaughter charges...:o:(:P:)
But THAT was THEN !!!!!
and this is NOW,,, and stupid and irresponsible grandstanding is and SHOULD be frowned upon....>:(
this sport doesn't exist for the stroking of oversized egos,,,, It exists (hopefully) for the common good of all skydivers, and we should each bear the responsibility of sensible behavior and hold it foremost in our minds... right???...

that would be those of us who have normally functioning minds....
all others,,,, please take a raincheck, and step to the rear of the line. or else take up some other sport...;)
peace,,,:)

Only those that stir the pot with bulls**t stories !

Oh dude I call bullshit, my bad ass self was doing 14 hybrids as the stand at like 20 jumps , I learned old skool. :|

hybrid are sooooo 2003.. Old skool indeed :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hey man, fuck all the haters. Let's grab your casted leg, I'll tie my pull arm behind my back, and let's go make a 3 way with a supermodel that has no clue what she is getting themselves into.

We'll have the time of our fucking lives.

Hey man, fuck all the haters. Let's grab your casted leg, I'll tie my pull arm behind my back, and let's go make a 3 way with a supermodel that has no clue what she is getting themselves into.

We'll have the time of our fucking lives.

Oh sure, sarcasm is funny now, but when he gets his own religion named after him, you will be regretting it.
You will be saying, "Dude-arhma, I was only keeding."
You will not get a Bishop slot with this attitude.

I think it will be called Calvinism.
:)

About 20 years ago a student that had gotten to freefall a couple of years earlier at our little club returned. He made an IAD or two...whatever we felt was required before starting him back on a freefall progression. When he went up to do his first clear and pull from 3,000' , he smiled at the instructor, stepped off...perfectly stable...did a backloop, waved at the instructor and pulled. The instructor was pretty stunned by what he had just seen.:D:D

It turned out that this guy had bought himself a set of gear while still a student and taught himself to pack it from the manual. His family owned a farm and an aircraft and his brother would take him up for jumps. He had over 100 jumps like this before he came back to the dz.

He never came back to jump with us again after that day.....maybe he's still jumping over his farm:D:D
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey