ltdiver

How to get a dog to shut-up!

Okay, this is a true dilemma.

The neighbor behind my next door neighbor's house has a doberman pincher. They seem to ignore the poor beast most of the time and my neighbor has taken pity on him several times and kept him from starvation. She feeds him through the fence.

Her backyard neighbor has thanked her for helping them (genuinely) and seems to be a nice guy (so she doesn't want to turn him in).

However, this dog never ceases to bark! He's incessantly barking right now (loud, deep bark). How do we get him to stop! Is this a kind of breed that keeps on yapping, or does this signal something more wrong?

By contrast my dog -never- barks. She's an energetic Australian Shepherd/Siberian Huskey mix. All the neighbors love her and knows that if she -was- to bark that something must be -really- wrong in the neighborhood.

Not wanting to be a nosey neighbor, but this constant barking has got to stop!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Suggest to your noisy neighbor that they invest in one of those bark collars, and politely inform them that if the noise doesn't stop, or reduce to a tolerable level, that all the neighbors will be forced to begin making complaints to the police/animal control. Then follow up with the complaints and enlist your other neighbors to join the effort. Takes time, but it has worked for me.
Zing Lurks

Go straight to the police, you will be doing the dog a favor.

I fucking hate dog owners like that, they deserve to be chained up in the backyard and left to starve like the animals they neglect. >:(>:(>:(
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

well if you don't wanttotalk to the neighbor or take any lawful actions, you and can alwyas use a hot needle to spot the problem.....

tell you friend to put a needle on the stove til it's glowing red, then take said needle and shove it fast and furiously in and out of ear ear..
My photos

My Videos

By contrast my dog -never- barks. She's an energetic Australian Shepherd/Siberian Huskey mix. All the neighbors love her and knows that if she -was- to bark that something must be -really- wrong in the neighborhood.

Not to the thread topic...but if you have a female..and it has puppies....i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Not to the thread topic...but if you have a female..and it has puppies....i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

Sorry to say that she's fixed. Had to when she got a uterine infection and had to go into emergency surgery 5 years ago.

Shimano

ltdiver

If the police and animal control won't respond (and ASPCA should respond to "neglect"), then you can try peanut-butter. :P:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I fucking hate dog owners like that, they deserve to be chained up in the backyard and left to starve like the animals they neglect. >:(>:(>:(

I can't see the dog (fence and shrubbery between the houses), so mine would not be a first hand account of neglect. My next door neighbor would have to be the eye witness. I've encouraged her to file a report but she hesitates and tends to the dog through the fence instead. The dog is hungry, but not in ill health.

Another fact about animal abuse (here in CA, at least) is that it has to be going on for long periods of time, with numerous reports filed over that time against the owner, for it to count towards removal of the animal. Then, they have to prove that cruelty is happening (animal near demise) before they can physically step in. Horrible, I know. I have a close friend who's been on several horse rescue missions over the years and it turns the stomach to see the state a horse has to be in before it can be saved. B|

ltdiver

Well, it doesn't resolve ANYTHING if there is neglect involved, but a friend was telling me today about some sort of ultrasonic unit that she had purchased from PetSmart. It sounds like it operates on the same basic premise as the bark collar, but you just place it outside. Worked wonders for them with THEIR problem-dog-next-door. PetSmart might be able to tell you what product that is.
TPM Sister #102

some sort of ultrasonic unit that she had purchased from PetSmart. It sounds like it operates on the same basic premise as the bark collar, but you just place it outside. Worked wonders for them with THEIR problem-dog-next-door. PetSmart might be able to tell you what product that is.

Interesting. Have to check it out. Thanks.

-My- backyard neighbor has a little yappy chiuahua that yaps all the time they have it outdoors. Freakin' annoying (really don't like little yappy dogs). The only saving factor is that when the dog is outside, so are the owners and they stop the dog when it starts up. Maybe your device would work on this dog too.

Now to find a miracle device that stops my -other- neighbor's cats from pooping on my front lawn! (yeah, I know...it sounds like I live on a farm, huh?)

ltdiver

Now to find a miracle device that stops my -other- neighbor's cats from pooping on my front lawn!

Dogs. :D

I live on a dirt road. Right where the roads intersect is a triangle of sand. It is the local litter box. You can't turn that corner without some cat hunched over.
"Could you turn those headlights away? I'm poopin' over here."

If you go through it, you get cat poo in your tire treads.
It thumps on the underside of the wheel wells.

Kids at the school bus stop don't stand real close to the road.

Now to find a miracle device that stops my -other- neighbor's cats from pooping on my front lawn!

Dogs. :D

I live on a dirt road. Right where the roads intersect is a triangle of sand. It is the local litter box. You can't turn that corner without some cat hunched over.
"Could you turn those headlights away? I'm poopin' over here."

If you go through it, you get cat poo in your tire treads.
It thumps on the underside of the wheel wells.

Kids at the school bus stop don't stand real close to the road.

I can understand a 'sand box' for kitties, but why a neighbor's lawn? We can't figure it out. Don't cats like to bury their stuff?!? :|

btw, the back lawn is fine (where my dog is). It's the front lawn that is vulnerable. :S

ltdiver

My next door neighbor would have to be the eye witness. I've encouraged her to file a report but she hesitates and tends to the dog through the fence instead. The dog is hungry, but not in ill health.

IMO you neighbor is enableing her neighbor to continue to abuse the dog.

Another fact about animal abuse (here in CA, at least) is that it has to be going on for long periods of time, with numerous reports filed over that time against the owner, for it to count towards removal of the animal. Then, they have to prove that cruelty is happening (animal near demise) before they can physically step inIf Ca law requires Numerous reports filed

even more reason to start the paper trail ASAP. The clock isn't going to start counting down untill the first report gets filed. has anyone tried a audio record of the duration and time of day/night the dog is barking for documentation?

Not sure about you neighbor having to be the witness. If you can get permission to enter your neighbors property couldn't you take the pic's for documention. If you haven't seen the actual condition that the dog is living in , No water, shelter, dog poop never picked up exposed ribs etc.

Know anyone with a camera or even better video Cam that can compose the shot etc:DMaybe contact animal control to find out if pics and audio recording would be of any help.

Does the owner travel out of town overnight? who checks on the dog when he's gone.

We rescued two dogs from CL. Quick and easy the longer the dog is abused the harder it will take to corret the problem and find someone to adopt the animal if the owner decide to do the right thing without animal control having to remove the dog and the Dude has to register as a dog abuser.

This code of silence reminds me of the dr's not required to report child abuse and the cops to arrest a wife beater on the spot if there's visual evidence of abuse.

R.I.P.

cure for the cats and dogs...yum yum antifreeze

Joking?

Or you suggesting someone kill the dog by using a chemical that will cause the animal to suffer a long painful death as their organs shut down.

you've got a lot of info in your profile:S anyone live in his area know if theres been a problem of someone using anifreeze to posion animals, that the cops are trying to findB|

"15 yrs union pipe coverer" did you ever contact your BA if a contractor told you to work around asbestos with PPE or know any old farts in your occupation that died from asbestos exposure or accidently exposed their family to asbestos by not using proper safety procedures.

R.I.P.

all the neighbors can chip in and get the bark collar, "catch" the dog owner and put it on his neck

we used to have a neighbor that "allowed" their cat to do anything it wanted, usually late at night, any time we were disturbed by the cat we just called the neighbor, after a few of these calls at 2 AM the cat stopped, call this jerk at work and bug the hell out of him just like the dog is buggin you

or just post the address and phone number for the local police and animal control on this thread, i'm sure some folks would call
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Obviously the poor dog wants IN! You have to do the right thing and call animal control. Its not fair to the poor dog to be outside 24/7 and have insufficient food and basic necessities. At this point it would be a bad thing on your part to turn away and ignore the growing problem. Please help the dog live long enough to see the new year.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

You can purchase one of these units if you cannot get the owner to address the problem. Better yet, print that information out and leave it on the owners door with a note complaining about the dogs barking.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, it doesn't resolve ANYTHING if there is neglect involved, but a friend was telling me today about some sort of ultrasonic unit that she had purchased from PetSmart. It sounds like it operates on the same basic premise as the bark collar, but you just place it outside. Worked wonders for them with THEIR problem-dog-next-door. PetSmart might be able to tell you what product that is.

Do they have one for mother in laws, too?;)

Do they have one for mother in laws, too?;)

Ooooo--you're SO bad! :P Santa knows this stuff, you know. ;)

LouDiamond may have the right idea. I don't know the name of the gizmo (technical term) that my friend was talking about, but this sounds like the right idea. The one they bought worked wonders, within just a couple of days.
TPM Sister #102

Obviously the poor dog wants IN! You have to do the right thing and call animal control. Its not fair to the poor dog to be outside 24/7 and have insufficient food and basic necessities. At this point it would be a bad thing on your part to turn away and ignore the growing problem. Please help the dog live long enough to see the new year.

Bobbi

Bingo we have a winnerB|

This dog owner fits a certain PROFILE

Does the owner even have a liscense to own the dog? Has the dog had it's shots? That problem if it exists doesn't require a long list of complaints for animal control to take action. Thats a major source of their income. Address? owners name? computer search. :o

The dog owner wants to ignor that problem or is to busy. I don't know about Ca law but up here $$$$.

Of course good neighbors could help the owner out and pay the annual dog liscense fee etc & then they can complain complain among themselves about the neglect and having to pay annual liscense fee every year.:)

R.I.P.