ntrprnr

Anyone got any thoughts on the Blackberry Pearl?

I've got to bite the bullet and get a Berry, and let me Sidekick/Paris fanatsies go.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pearl? It's International, so that's a bonus...

Multiple email accounts to the same... Real time, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Peter

cNet does some pretty good reviews of the various cell phone/PDAs out there.

I'm guessing you're on T-Mobile service since you mentioned the "side-kick". You might compare the Pearl to this device too: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Detail.aspx?device=8802ddeb-1ee4-477a-9608-d9cd1e2a903f

In the event you're looking to switch carriers and keep some sense of seamless global-mobility, Cingular carries the Pearl too, plus this loaded item: http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?q_list=true&q_phoneName=Cingular+8525&q_sku=sku310005
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I haven't used a Pearl but they look very nice, main benefit is it looks like a normal phone rather than like your talking into a calculator. I got a Blackberry 7100x and I can vouch for their capabilities. They are really good, can set up 10 email accounts I think it is and you get all your emails 'pushed' to your handset more or less instantly. I think the Pearl got the same suretype keypad which takes a while to get used to but once you do you can knock out sms & emails fairly quickly . I've found the internet access to be very slow though so unless your just needing to look something up quickly, like erm, train timetable or something its pretty useless but great for keeping mobile.

If your going to use it for work its a great way of keeping yourself out the office I'd imagine.

The way mine works (Software is o2 network) is you have one huge message folder with all your emails/SMS and whatever else in there or you can look up your email accounts seperately using a different icon. If you look at the Blackberry website they got really good demonstration animations to show you how it works.

I like the way that if you receive a text off someone it will automtaically present the rest of the conversation between both parties so you can recall what the hell they are talking about. Which is handy when your dealing with lots of people and cant recall who they are or what they are on about.

I strongly suggest you check ebay unless your happy to get an expensive contract. I got mine for £30 and arranged a SIM only package with my provider and works out good deal :)
[/nerdyness]

I like the 811 Perl but the keyboard is a little small for my fingers. I prefer the 8700. If you do get the 8100, do software update to the 4.2.0.64 version. There are glitches in the 4.2.0.14. MDA & SDA are very nice Microsoft V5.0 smart phones that don’t need the additional Blackberry $19.99 a month features plus 19.99 for Blackberry International Roaming. MDA & SDA require 19.99 data feature only.

following other comments:

the pearl is a decent phone. Build quality is not as good as my old Nokia though and trackball is susceptible to getting dirt stuck in it.

as mentioned battery life is not so good but you can get more life out of the battery using it's automatic on and off mode (so that it switches off at night/weekends). I get an extra 2 or 3 days doing this.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

My only thought is that I think I might want one. But I've had my 7105t for less than a year now, and I'm just not one of those people who has to have the latest and greatest upgrade as soon as it becomes available. But if I were buying a BB for the first time today, I'd probably grab a Pearl.

I've been really happy with this newer generation of BlackBerrys. I had one of the older style and didn't like it at all. I won it at a conference and after the 3 free months that came with it were up, I sold it. I didn't find it effective as a phone, and at the time I wasn't traveling much. But now, of course, it's a lifeline.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you want the email capacity mostly, go with an actual blackberry. If you want a phone with a little easier texting and emailing get the pearl.

Interesting. Thanks to you and NW Flyer!