gontleman

Magnetic Riser Covers

Bill Booth has created a new company called Parachute Patents, Inc. It is owned by his two daughters. He said that he did this so that they could afford to get him into a good old folk's home someday. [:/]

He also said that UPT pays for the licensing from PP, Inc. just like any other company would.

Jerry

Well, according to the Secretary of State, this is not a Florida company...:P (Being a business owner I like to see how other companies structure themselves for the sake of learning, so ya I looked in the public records... But it could be any other state, and Delaware has like 60% of all business registrations because of their business friendly laws, so this is not saying you are incorrect.)

But anyway, if I owned a patent, and I also manufactured under that patent, I would certainly separate those two assets into separate entities, especially if one of those entities proudly proclaims ("Uninsured") in it's name.:P

Seriously, even if this was not the high risk sport of skydiving, good business says separate assets. (Intellectual assets vs manufacturing assets vs completed inventory vs real estate vs automobiles).

You don't want a lawsuit for one activity (selling intellectual rights) to have access to the assets of manufacturing unrelated items. Or, if you are a retailer, you don't want your drunk driving truck driver to cause a suit against your inventory and real estate, so for an example the assets in the Walmart trucks are not owned by the same entity as the Walmart stores, it gets sold upon delivery from one company to another (or at least the trucks and the drivers are owned/employed/leased to/something by a separate company). Just look at the side of a Walmart truck and see the DOT name and number... It is not going to be the same company that operates the stores or owns the real estate and buildings.

Awsome, so you're making money on someone elses ideas.

Hmmm not like it hasn't happened in Skydiving already.....harness rings anyone?

What are you getting at? It sounds like you're suggesting that Atair didn't develop the magnetic riser covers. Given the information at hand, that just doesn't seem to be the case. UPT may be the first to incorporate them into sport rigs, but it sounds like Atair had them in their military gear sometime before UPT started playing around with the idea.

This idea has been developped years ago but not for sale except Performance Variable who has installed it on their main toggles, paragliding has been using it too since years (99) . We did it on Advance rig as an equipment evolution end of 2002 but haven't time to redesign the rig. This will be available on our new rig within next month.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

These, I was told by Bill, will not lose their magneism. They are rare earth magnets, not metal ones. They are basically powder held together by epoxy and are said to hold their magnetic power for the life of the magnet.

mmm... what is the life of a magnet ?? ... aha! until it loses magnetism !!

BTW, the american patent system is a joke.

Gonza

mmm... what is the life of a magnet ?? ... aha! until it loses magnetism !!

Rare earth magnets are permanent magnets. Under normal circumstances, they will not lose their magnetism ever - ie. you have to try pretty hard to demagnetize them. Given the strength of their magnetic properties and the nature of the material, it's easier to physically destroy the magnets than it is to demagnetize them.

Bill said that "magnets come from about 1 gauss to 120." I work with magnetic fields on a daily basis. We have magnets that are 3.5k gauss. 1 gauss is roughly the strength of the earth's magnetic field. 35g is not much at my work. Certainly not enough to hold anything heavier than ferrous dust. Why the discrepancy? A fridge magnet has more gauss than 35.
Whats up?
take care,
space

Given the information at hand, that just doesn't seem to be the case. UPT may be the first to incorporate them into sport rigs, but it sounds like Atair had them in their military gear sometime before UPT started playing around with the idea.

False, there have been manufactures, riggers, and sport jumpers that have developed the use of magnets in skydiving equipment longe before Aitair and UPT.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Bill said that "magnets come from about 1 gauss to 120." I work with magnetic fields on a daily basis. We have magnets that are 3.5k gauss. 1 gauss is roughly the strength of the earth's magnetic field. 35g is not much at my work. Certainly not enough to hold anything heavier than ferrous dust. Why the discrepancy? A fridge magnet has more gauss than 35.
Whats up?
take care,
space

You know, this is one of the things I had been wondering myself. I am by no means an expert on magnetism or magnets but if I find something interesting I tend to google it. It seems to me that the magnets being used in the new riser covers are very similar to the magnets in which George Galloway had sent around with his paratelemetry devices. When I had asked George about the magnets he told me they were made from a powder and epoxy and then coated. That sounds similar to Bill's magnets. Upon further investigation I was informed that these were made of a Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) Material, which also coincides from what Bill's magnets are made out of. Digging even deeper, I found that most places that sell these magnets grade them as N40, one of the stronger readily available grade of magnets.

Still curious, and this is where the uncertainty begins, I began finding manufacturers websites that state numbers as high as a maximum of 40 MGOe (about 40,000,000 Gauss) for the material used to make a grade N40 Magnet. However, it seems that when measured, at the surface of the magnet you'll find numbers less than 13,000 Gauss. They tend to have about a 10lb pull force, obviously depends on the material tested with, and would make sense that they see around a 5lb pull force after sewn into a rig.

Bill has said he's tested these in all the scenario's he can think of and the only side effect so far was a variation in magnetic compass heading in the front position of a small jump plane. He's given his input on DV tapes, pace makers, etc. It just struck me as odd when he had mentioned such a low gauss with these magnets.

Whats up?
take care,
space

You know, this is one of the things I had been wondering myself. I am by no means an expert on magnetism or magnets but if I find something interesting I tend to google it. It seems to me that the magnets being used in the new riser covers are very similar to the magnets in which George Galloway had sent around with his paratelemetry devices. When I had asked George about the magnets he told me they were made from a powder and epoxy and then coated. That sounds similar to Bill's magnets. Upon further investigation I was informed that these were made of a Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) Material, which also coincides from what Bill's magnets are made out of. Digging even deeper, I found that most places that sell these magnets grade them as N40, one of the stronger readily available grade of magnets.

Still curious, and this is where the uncertainty begins, I began finding manufacturers websites that state numbers as high as a maximum of 40 MGOe (about 40,000,000 Gauss) for the material used to make a grade N40 Magnet. However, it seems that when measured, at the surface of the magnet you'll find numbers less than 13,000 Gauss. They tend to have about a 10lb pull force, obviously depends on the material tested with, and would make sense that they see around a 5lb pull force after sewn into a rig.

Bill has said he's tested these in all the scenario's he can think of and the only side effect so far was a variation in magnetic compass heading in the front position of a small jump plane. He's given his input on DV tapes, pace makers, etc. It just struck me as odd when he had mentioned such a low gauss with these magnets.

Sorry guys. What I referred to is surface Gauss mesurements of 35 HUNDRED Gauss. We just say "35 Gauss" around here to make it simple.

I will check this out with my local physicist. It is not that I am doubting the performance of the innovation. Just the measurement and related effects. And Bill, dividing things by a hundred in this case does not make it simpler. 35 x 100 are the mags I work with, Granted this is a surface measurement, these are quite strong. I would be quite interested in getting stronger mags but AFAIK we have the strongest (4kG), Maybe it is just a measuring diff.
Will let you know.
take care,
space

I'm confused myself, now...
I have a small bar magnet, a kids toy. It's marked as "100 Gauss."
I have a bulk tape eraser that allegedly measures at up to 280 Gauss.
Owners manual for bulk eraser claims 70-80 Gauss will scramble a tape, and 280 Gauss is required to "deep erase" a tape.
The eraser requires a cycle wherein it builds to maximum Gauss, then returns to zero, switches polarity, builds to maximum Gauss, returns to zero, switches polarity...you get the picture.

100 Gauss magnet is easy to pull from the stove or other metal object. So Bill, are your magnets perhaps 350 Gauss?
Even if that be the case, I'm not concerned about tape, simply because we passed two tapes over/under your riser covers, and nothing got erased nor scrambled.
Then again, I won't be buying a new rig with or without magnetic riser covers for a while.

Guys. All I know is what the magnet company rep tells me. I'll give you his number privately if you wish to talk. We tried a lot of different magnets, with the basic idea of producing riser covers which release with about 5 pounds of force. Whatever the "Gauss" of these magnets, that is what they do, and that is really all I care about.

Pheliex,

I like the idea of the covers so much, that i am thinking of getting a UPT rig as my next purchase.

I jump one now (not sponsored by them in any way) and I am most likely purchasing a 2nd one this summer with the magnetic goodies and the spacer foam. They are my favorite rig on the market.

You might find the back piece a little stiff when it's brand new (typical of most rigs but probably more so on the V3). It doesn't bother me at all before it breaks in, but when it does she's a beaut :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Guys. All I know is what the magnet company rep tells me. I'll give you his number privately if you wish to talk. We tried a lot of different magnets, with the basic idea of producing riser covers which release with about 5 pounds of force. Whatever the "Gauss" of these magnets, that is what they do, and that is really all I care about.

No, Bill, We don't want his number. We want you to sort it out. We know and trust you, but you are kinda scaring me now.
take care,
space

very interesting video from PIA.
High respect to B.Booth for all he discovered and invented in our sport but the magnets and primary reason why they are there now is to resolve the problem he created on RWS V3 and later Micron series of H/C.

Remember on 1996 when we were jumping for N. Kent movie using Kent's Vector3 rigs, we were highly recommended to leave the risers almost open due riser cover problems
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

No, Bill, We don't want his number. We want you to sort it out. We know and trust you, but you are kinda scaring me now.
take care,
space

Actually, I don't care at all what gauss number the magnets are. That to me doesn't matter and doesn't affect my ability to skydive. The things that matter to me are, does it affect an AAD (No) and does it affect my video equiptment (no) or altimeter (no)

Beyond that, I don't care and wouldn't consider wasting Bill's time to know. That gets a little too far "into" it for even me and I do take quite a bit of interest in how my rig is manufactured and developed.

For the record I own, recommend, and will continue to own a Vector3.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka