NickDG

STS-116 . . .

Everyone here at Z-hills just watched the takeoff. It lit up the sky very nicely! It was in full view for over three minutes.

TLML and I were on the deck on top of The Red Lion on the beach here at Flagler (About 55-60 mile north of the Cape). Had a nice cigar in one hand and a pint of Guiness in the other -- when they lit the candle on that thing I swear it looked like someone had turned on a small sun to the south!

We lost seeing the booster sep because of some clouds over Flagler Beach but were very impressed anywho.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Here's something I never understood, they run the main engines at 104 percent initially which sounds kind of Spinal Tapish – why not just call 104 percent one hundred percent?

T-41 . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

They tweaked the motors to get 4% more power out of it, and it's easier to call it 104% then re-calibrate everything else.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I hear ya' on the "sun" comment.

Dagny and I were parked out on the highway approx 10 miles from the pad. When it went up it was as bright as daylight around us.

I got to see STS-115 go up from 5 miles away, but there's something amazingly dramatic and beautiful about a night launch.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Dagny and I were parked out on the highway approx 10 miles from the pad. When it went up it was as bright as daylight around us.

I got to see STS-115 go up from 5 miles away, but there's something amazingly dramatic and beautiful about a night launch.B|

What did it SOUND like that far away??

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nice!!! That was my first view of a launch. The whole Z-Hills crew stood outside and watched. Definitely bright in the sky even where we were! I can't imagine how beautiful it was for you guys!B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

the launch looked beautiful here from the space coast! Night launches are just gorgeous from any brevard county beach if you get a chance to experience it. I don't have any pictures from this one though :(

anybody else get a chance to see it who isn't local? I heard people as farth north as virginia saw it last night.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Surprisingly, it wasn't that loud, per se, but when the rumble came, it was deep. You could feel it in your bones. It was more sense of feel than hearing.

It was a big difference from seeing STS-115 from 5 miles away.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Surprisingly, it wasn't that loud, per se, but when the rumble came, it was deep. You could feel it in your bones. It was more sense of feel than hearing.

It was a big difference from seeing STS-115 from 5 miles away.

:( I'm sad I missed it!

I was across the water in Titusville thursday night hoping I'd get to see and 'feel' it! B|

Maybe NEXT time! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I scratched a line off of my life to do list this weekend. My wife and I and a friend exited the Otter 13500 feet over Deland just as the shuttle was launching. We watched until 10500 then deployed and watched some more. There was a layer of clouds at 6000 feet that was comletely lit up orange from the glow of the engines. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Here's a picture I took, although it really doesn't do it justice.