billeisele

Picking out a laptop, suggestions?

The MacBooks and MacBook Pros are fairly good machines, I'll admit. I love the Sony TX series, but it's overpriced as all hell.

I'm personally wishing Apple would make a full-featured small (11-12" )notebook. They keep getting close, but not quite there.
cavete terrae.

I'm personally wishing Apple would make a full-featured small (11-12" )notebook. They keep getting close, but not quite there.

I was disappointed to see that Apple eliminated the 12" screen size from their notebook lineup. However, I was pleased to see they brought the Firewire 800 port back for the MacBook Pro. (IMO, it was a boneheaded decision to eliminate the port in the first place.)

All in all, I can't wait until I can upgrade my iBook.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I'm with you on the IBM/Lenovo thing. I've had three issued to me at various jobs and they have been nothing but reliable and pretty much bulletproof. My laptop bag has been accidentally dropped, bumped, and tossed more than I can remember and my ThinkPad just keeps on truckin'. Mine's pretty big since I run some heavy-duty software on it, but except for the fact that it's heavier to tote around, I kind of like that b/c it's got a big keyboard and monitor too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was disappointed to see that Apple eliminated the 12" screen size from their notebook lineup. However, I was pleased to see they brought the Firewire 800 port back for the MacBook Pro. (IMO, it was a boneheaded decision to eliminate the port in the first place.)

All in all, I can't wait until I can upgrade my iBook.

What I want:

Black case
11 or 12" screen (not the glossy
2 Ghz Core 2 Duo
a real GPU, not the integrated intel shit they use in the non-Pro model
bluetooth, 802.11 of course
ExpressCard/PCMCIA
Removable drive/expansion bay so I can use a second battery (I NEVER use my optical drive except for software install) *
2 button trackpad
backlit keyboard

That'd be the ultimate Apple notebook for me. Well, ultimate would include a tablet mode, but I KNOW I won't ever see that.

The MacBook Pro basically has the right specs for me (except for 2nd battery capability), but is WAY too big. The MacBook is only a little too big, but doesn't have a real graphics chip. I can't win!
cavete terrae.

What I want:

Black case
2 Ghz Core 2 Duo
ExpressCard/PCMCIA
Removable drive/expansion bay so I can use a second battery (I NEVER use my optical drive except for software install) *
2 button trackpad
backlit keyboard

That'd be the ultimate Apple notebook for me. Well, ultimate would include a tablet mode, but I KNOW I won't ever see that.

The MacBook Pro basically has the right specs for me (except for 2nd battery capability), but is WAY too big. The MacBook is only a little too big, but doesn't have a real graphics chip. I can't win!

I haven't had a chance to play with the MBPro, but I've played with the small (13"?) MB, and compared it dimensionally to my iBook 12.1" The MB has a larger screen aspect ratio. my 12" screen is taller than the 13" screen. I may actually have more screen real estate with my 12" screen. The point is, the 13" MB isn't really bigger than the 12" iBook; it's wide screen as opposed to ~4:3.

I like the removable drive idea. That would be handy. I don't use my optical drive much either. The extra battery life would be nice.

What kind of options does a separate graphics card open up?

I don't use my button on my trackpad. I would be content being able to make it a right click in preferences, while trackpad taps remain left clicks. CTRL click doesn't bother me, though.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

What I want:

Black case
2 Ghz Core 2 Duo
ExpressCard/PCMCIA
2 button trackpad
backlit keyboard

I haven't had a chance to play with the MBPro, but I've played with the small (13"?) MB, and compared it dimensionally to my iBook 12.1" The MB has a larger screen aspect ratio. my 12" screen is taller than the 13" screen. I may actually have more screen real estate with my 12" screen. The point is, the 13" MB isn't really bigger than the 12" iBook; it's wide screen as opposed to ~4:3.

I like the removable drive idea. That would be handy. I don't use my optical drive much either. The extra battery life would be nice.

What kind of options does a separate graphics card open up?

I don't use my button on my trackpad. I would be content being able to make it a right click in preferences, while trackpad taps remain left clicks. CTRL click doesn't bother me, though.

Sep graphics card is simply better when playing games and such. The Intel GPU is fine for watching videos and stuff but... I like to game on the road, too.

I don't use trackpad taps typically, btu the trackpad button on my dad's MacBook is so miserable I might be forced to when I get mine.

the 12" vs 13" thing isn't really a screen size issue, it's a physical size issue. The MacBook is wider, and takes up more space on a desk. That's my main concern.

As for the removable drive, Apple did it for years. I ran dual batteries in my PowerBook 550c, my 3400c, and both of my PowerBook G3s. Hell, I lost the DVD drive for one of my PowerBooks and never missed it until the time came to sell the machine :D
cavete terrae.

I'm with you on the IBM/Lenovo thing. I've had three issued to me at various jobs and they have been nothing but reliable and pretty much bulletproof. My laptop bag has been accidentally dropped, bumped, and tossed more than I can remember and my ThinkPad just keeps on truckin'. Mine's pretty big since I run some heavy-duty software on it, but except for the fact that it's heavier to tote around, I kind of like that b/c it's got a big keyboard and monitor too.

Definitely. Lenovo Thinkpads have been good to me for 6 years. The T60 is what I plan on getting next. Or a Zed series, depending on my whim.

Bottom line - every laptop will have some issues. Just like buying a car. Go with what has the features you want.

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Depends on the application.

For a desktop replacement, I have a Sager 9880. It's a great tool and a fun toy, but it's big, heavy and expensive.

If gaming isn't your bag, then it doesn't matter as much. If a decent GUI experience is important, Macs are peerless. If a top-end Windows machine is the most important, the Sony Vaio is a good choice.

I go back and forth about Dell. I've owned several, and some are good, some are not so good.

Product support is vital where a laptop is concerned, because you are working with fully proprietary hardware, and you are stuck with whatever the vendor has for you, for better or worse.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

About 6 months ago I made the switch to MAC. I will NEVER go back.

PS - I'm a computer geek for a living, so Windows was my world. I can't believe it took me so long to drop it like the bad habit it was.

Unless you're a serious gamer (get a life), you will adore a Mac.

~ topher
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

Whatever you do, never ever buy a Toshiba. Stay away from all Toshiba products. Specially the computer ones.

Totally agree. I'm trying to fight Toshiba to fix a charging circuit problem on a 6 month old laptop and they say its not there problem, where as the retailer we purchased it at is having to swallow the repair bills on them. They're getting screwed because of a faulty product. I will never buy another Toshiba Laptop.

I have a Dell 1750, or is 1705... anyway, its for my work and its awesome. I have a compaq for my personal use (I'm using it now) and the only problem I have with it is that the touch pad is annoyingly placed in relation to the keyboard. When we replace my husbands Toshiba next year he'll be getting a Dell.

I'm so mad for him that his Toshiba is a piece of shit - he saved up for months for that thing B|

Jen
Arianna Frances

Dell seems to be a good buy. Customer service kinda shitty.

Dell replacement parts are easy to find. I self-repaired my DELL using an ebay-purchased motherboard, when I accidentally short-circuited some electricity across some pins of its serial port. (Note to self: Never put an AC adaptor barrel near serial port pins. Although newer laptops are replacing serial ports 100% entirely with USB ports)

DELL's website even includes instructions on how to disassemble your DELL laptop! If you like being a computer technician or auto mechanic, and know how to self-repair things, DELL's for you. You can't as easily do that with an expensive broken SONY laptop. (You can, but it's not as easy nor as cheap to self-repair)

Mind you, I like Apple laptops too. Just too pricey for me. (Ever since Apple now uses UNIX, and I am also a Linux user...)