daniel52587

Gear recommendations please

I just completed my AFF, so now I have to rent gear. Could you guys please recommend me some good altimeters, flight suits, and helmets. I really like the full face helmet. But I want one that allows the best field of view. Also I would like to know whether the visor can come off. I ask because I may take off the visor on nice warm days and just put on some oakley's so I can feel the wind in my face. But please give me some advice.

isnt a B-license required for a full face? or is that just the UK?

Just the UK..

To the OP: I jump a Factory Diver, (the visor doesn't come off) and I like it. When the ground temp is below 15degrees F, I have to prop the helmet on my head under canopy. That would be the only downside, but I definately wouldn't jump an open face in winter like some of the crazy people I know do.
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

You can remove the visor from the factory diver- it just doesn't flip up. Your options there are ON or OFF. The visor is held in on the sides with velcro, and the rest of it is just held in tight under the edge of the helmet. Its not hard to remove or put back in at all. I've done plenty of jumps with it off, and throw it on when its a little chilly. If you make an effort to breathe out through the vent, I've noticed I can prevent major fogging, and maybe only have a little patch of fog that clears pretty quickly once you're out the door. Not putting on the helmet super early in the plane beofre jump run helps with fogging too, because there is simply less time to fog.

Then again, I don't jump when its SUPER cold, just cold. If its below freezing on the ground, I'm probably NOT going to be jumping.