freeflyboy24

Vigil V. Cypres ( Need help as to which one I buy )

I am having a hard time with weather I should get a Vigil AAD or a Cypres. Please help me.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=vigil%20cypres&sb=score&mh=25

Just a search, start there I guess. I, personally, would pick Cypres because they have been around longer. ;)
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I'm sure they both work fine, but at such a similar price the Vigil cannot compete with a Cypres. It does nothing better for most jumpers and does not have ~15 years behind it.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Speaking of which - It will be really interesting to see how the prices are affected now that there are 3 units (GOOD units) units on the market -

Also it'll be interesting to see which of the units offer a 2-pin cutter. A good Number of Tandem containers and even sport containers use a 2-pin system, I think It'll be necessary if they want to compete...
=========Shaun ==========

I choose the Vigil. Its cheaper initially + less planned downtime/maintenance. Although it hasn't been around as long as the Cypress it has still been proven effective (and I feel if its REALLY my time to go, then its my time to go anyway). I also think Vigil will continue to grow as a company and resale value will be higher than a used Cypress in the future.

I choose the Vigil. Its cheaper initially + less planned downtime/maintenance. Although it hasn't been around as long as the Cypress it has still been proven effective (and I feel if its REALLY my time to go, then its my time to go anyway). I also think Vigil will continue to grow as a company and resale value will be higher than a used Cypress in the future.

It should, with a 20 year life-span.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

vigil !!!
i ve actually met one of the directors of the company and i ve been impressed by their safe approach to the sport. thus, the vigil2 will be released in Marsh i believe.

i m getting one for sure

--------------------------------------------------
The tongue is NOT only a tool for speech!

Well we had some trouble with the vigils at our Dz today. Apperantly we had really high air pressure today, not sure what it was exactly but it is 1034mbar now, at 8:30 in the evening. This morning, 1 Vigil turned on after much prodding. 1 turned on then started looping through the settings and didn't stop, untill we figured out it stopped on Student or Tandem, no good obviously, we ended up setting it to pro+150ft that worked. Huh. Next vigil started up fine. Then two more with the looping problem and same "solution". Great :S

This problem has been known for over 1 1/2 years now, not sure why it still exists NOW, maybe these 3 units are different versions, if so why haven't they been updated.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am having a hard time with weather I should get a Vigil AAD or a Cypres. Please help me.

I was recently talking with a rep from Relative Workshop at my local boogie. He said that this year he switched from Cypress to Vigil.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Cypres, just because it has been around longer and the mfr has more AAD experience than the others. Also, the mfr test and tests and tests.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

vigil !!!
i ve actually met one of the directors of the company and i ve been impressed by their safe approach to the sport. thus, the vigil2 will be released in Marsh i believe.

Hmmm... My communications with them actually gave me the opposite impression. They were more interested in trying to convince me to not call it a misfire when a Vigil fires inside a pressurized aircraft cabin than they were in answering my question which was whether they were working on improvements to avoid such misfires in the future. Up until that point, I was impressed with the Vigil and planning to buy one, but that attitude switched me back to CYPRES.

I'm kinda curious as to what improvements this Vigil2 will include. One of the statements on their website suggests that the new model will deal with these kinds of situations better, among other things. I just wish they could have told me this when I asked, instead of wasting my time trying to convince me to not think of it as a misfire and telling me nothing of what they plan to do about it.

Does anybody have any details about this Vigil2 that's coming? Sounds like it might be worth a look.

If it fired as programmed in a pressurized aircraft I don't see it as a misfire. It is firing on an algorhythm. It can't tell the difference between dropping out of an airplane or whether you "dropped" in a pressurized aircraft that suddenly was unpressurized. it's the same thing in my book...but opinions are like..well you know.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

If it fired as programmed in a pressurized aircraft I don't see it as a misfire. It is firing on an algorhythm. It can't tell the difference between dropping out of an airplane or whether you "dropped" in a pressurized aircraft that suddenly was unpressurized. it's the same thing in my book...but opinions are like..well you know.

There were two points. One was that they failed and/or refused to answer my question. They were more interested in trying to convince me to not refer to it as a misfire.

As far as whether it's a misfire or not, I buy an AAD to deploy a canopy over my head when I am in freefall at a low altitude. Whether the device uses air pressure measurements, GPS, a pyrotechnic cutter or pixie dust towards fulfilling those requirements is immaterial. The skydivers were neither in freefall, nor at low altitude. The device fired when the user did not want it to do so, therefore, this would be a misfire.

CYPRES units, which also use airpressure measurements, were in the same aricraft at those times and did not fire, but instead detected it as an abnormal situation, shut down and were ready to go again after being restarted on the ground, so without needing to know what the exact air pressure readings were, it seems that there must be some way to distinguish this from a life-threatening freefall scenario.

I went away from Vigil not because of technical reasons. I wasn't overly concerned about these particular misfires, and it wasn't enough at that point to make me not buy Vigil, but their response suggested to me that they were more interested in marketing spin than either answering my question or technical improvements to their device. Their latest statement about some more recent misfires comes across much better.

It's a pretty exceptional situation, but something that points to the value of 15 years of experience.

Maybe. Or maybe Airtec was lucky with the C2 tolerating the event.

It feels a bit weird that Vigil is already going to their 2 model.

It's a pretty exceptional situation, but something that points to the value of 15 years of experience.

Maybe. Or maybe Airtec was lucky with the C2 tolerating the event.

In the event that I was referring to, there were both CYPRES and CYPRES-2 units in the plane. None of them fired. All of them determined that it was an abnormal situation and shut down, so I think it was more than just luck. The CYPRES units also made a decision. It was just a different one to that made by Vigil. I'm guessing that the CYPRES includes some limits on what are realistic altitude/velocity/acceleration values to deduce for a freefalling skydiver.

Yes, it is an exceptional situation and in fairness, I can't think of a situation that may be similar enough to what would have happened here and where a misfire would lead to any kinda of safety risk. It's mostly an annoyance because you have the cost and inconvenience of a reserve repack and replacing a cutter.