JWest

POV cameras and Jump number.

dorbie

Your signature is a real gem:

Jump numbers matter to people on the internet while ability matters to people you jump with.

Ability correlates with jump numbers and few skydivers overcompensate for their lack of skydiving by posting about their mad skillz on the internet as much as you do.

(shakes head and walks away)

He didn't say it was the only thing that it correlates with, but there is a correlation. Especially in the first fifteen hundred or so jumps, in my opinion. Because by then, you've settled on a discipline, and practiced it enough not only to have gotten fairly skilled, but also long enough to see for yourself where your weak points are.

You see people on winning teams at Nationals with jumps in the hundreds, but far more often in the thousands. Goes for all the disciplines. Practice makes perfect and all that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jumpsalot-2

***Due to the deserved warning from billvon, a moderator and extremely knowledgeable and respected skydiver I have ended all experiments/games/trolls. This is the real me, this is the type of post you should base your opinion of me on, not the 17 previous pages of nonsense.

Janet ...... this is the real you. Janet the game playing troll. See ya on the next page Jan ..... ;)

Heeds warning about trolling posts, ignores warning about not killing yourself with a distracting camera :-)

The signature undermines any attempt at distancing from earlier bullshit. Wants a do-over and still wants to claim mad skillz. Oh what a dilemma.

Re: the cypres 1 internals

uer16

Very unimpressive imho, which makes sense if you believe in KISS.

You mean unimpressive now, or for initial production in 1991? :)
(But I digress, as we do have other threads for AAD technology. Df8m1's thread on new AADs comes to mind.)

pchapman

Re: the cypres 1 internals
***Very unimpressive imho, which makes sense if you believe in KISS.

You mean unimpressive now, or for initial production in 1991? :)
(But I digress, as we do have other threads for AAD technology. Df8m1's thread on new AADs comes to mind.)

I sent him my Cypres 2, hopefully he'll tear that down. I hope it wasn't a waste sending it.

pchapman

You mean unimpressive now, or for initial production in 1991?

Unimpressive now, as in if something like that was made in 2015, it would raise a few eyebrows. Modern tech would probably make newer AADs look a bit different.

In any case, unimpressive doesn't mean bad in an application like this, less mystery is better.

..and how the hell did this get so far off topic :D
edit: misread question

have my daily gear check where I go over everything. My pre boarding gear check is: reserve pin, bridal, hacky, 3 ring, cut away handle, reserve handle, chest strap, leg straps, altimeter, audible, helmet (since I put it on last). My pre jump run check list is the one I provided earlier. If for any reason something isn't right during those checks I won't get on the plane/won't jump. I'm assuming that's what you met by affecting my decision.

FWIW, it's the guy that *thinks* their methods and thought processes are solid and infallible, that usually run into trouble.

Anyone can have anything happen to them. The reason for the recommended number of jumps has marginal relationship to awareness and attitude. It has everything to do with building up habits and no matter what you believe, all the mad skillz, all the internet videos, all the best buddies in the world, and all the cool kayaking skills where you can eskimo roll, spin, surf, rock launch, whatever...won't help you develop the muscle memory, instinctive behaviors, and safety attitudes that having more rather than fewer jumps.

I realize to you, jump numbers mean little, and in a way, you're right. The challenge is, you don't have enough experience under your belt to know the difference between a person that has 1000 of the same jump vs someone who has 1000 different jumps. One day, you'll come back to this thread (or some of the others) and realize you didn't know what you didn't know, and someone telling you isn't enough. You have to witness these stories yourself to properly understand why people care enough to try to help you see the folly of your ways.

Lose the attitude, people will bend over backwards to help you grow quickly and safely. I've been there (on this forum and in real life) and done that. Truly. Stand up, shut up, and if you do speak, put a question mark at the end of whatever you say.
Doesn't that seem reasonable?;)

JWest

This is the real me, this is the type of post you should base your opinion of me on, not the 17 previous pages of nonsense.

Still don't know who you are, where you jump, what you actually do or believe. You post what seems to be well reasoned input to some threads and yet post ignorant/arrogant garbage on others.

I would suggest backing off, taking a break from the social experiments, filling in your profile and being as careful in this environment as you claim to be in your jumping and other activities.

Please remember that there are newbies in this sport who are on the cusp of making decisions that will change or end their life. Your posted bravado may (have) given them the little nudge off the cliff without the proper gear and training.

Just my $.02,
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Guys I did it I finally jumped a camera and didn't die! Ok, that was sarcasm but I did jump a camera and figured I would report back now that I have experienced my first camera jump. I know many of you will be disappointed but I only made it to 181. As I was doing this believe it or not I was thinking about many of the things I read in here. Did my gear check before and after turning on the camera just to be on the safe side. It was all of an extra minute of filming, no big deal. It was an uneventful FF jump with a coach. I obviously minded the physicality of the camera for the 182 climb out but once I left the plane filming was not on my mind. Once stable I did have the thought that my head down coach with the scenery in the background would look pretty cool if the camera got it. Broke on time, pulled on time, Had to lift my slider up a bit higher than I was used to in order to get it in it's keeper but that wasn't a big deal.

Now the part you all want to know. Did it distract me? Yes it did but not in the way you probably think. I had no problem completing the tasks of the skydive or any of that. It just made me nervous because I didn't want to be "that idiot who everyone told not to do it" I knew that if anything went wrong on that jump it would instantly blamed on the camera. So I wouldn't say the camera or the filming distract me. It was more the communities possible reaction. Most will say thats semantics thus why I went with yes. As with most worries in life the nervousness left the second the door opened.

I jumped a camera, don't really have a reason to do it again and it won't matter anyway because I'll hit 200 before winter comes. Distracted by the thought of being "that idiot" not the actual camera.

once I left the plane filming was not on my mind. Once stable I did have the thought that my head down coach with the scenery in the background would look pretty cool if the camera got it

What is 2+2? OK, now forget what 2+2 is. What is 2+2? We are not capable of intentionally forgetting something.

Derek V

Hooknswoop

once I left the plane filming was not on my mind. Once stable I did have the thought that my head down coach with the scenery in the background would look pretty cool if the camera got it

What is 2+2? OK, now forget what 2+2 is. What is 2+2? We are not capable of intentionally forgetting something.

Derek V

Oh, Derek.

18 pages of bullshit and you still have not posted your name or home dz...or anything really.

And again I don't blame you I would not want my name associated with the horribly weak reasoning you have used in this thread.

Also, way to not be able to hold out for the last 19 jumps till you hit 200. I'm sure Teem has been pressuring you to send killer edits in :S.

yoink

Still trolling I see...

Good job jumping a camera a little ahead of the recommendations. I'm sure you got a hard-on by what you see as proving everyone wrong. Congrats.

Don't feed the troll, folks.

Not at all. I didn't really prove anyone wrong because no one was saying I will have an incident if I jump a camera. Besides it's calculated risk. I'm less experienced so there is a higher chance of something going wrong on each jump which could lead to a camera snag. By only doing it once I keep the risk lower. When I have more experience the risk will be lower on each jump so I can jump a camera more while maintaining the same or lower risk factor. Anyway I actually came back to say that many of the things people said in here helped and that the camera ended up making me nervous for entirely different reasons. i.e. not the filming or the physicality. Something you can add to the list of possible issues to tell new people jumpers.

I'm done trolling. It got a bit out of hand.

Yes, I would like a cookie. I love cookies.

My logic is pretty solid. It just goes against the norm. My coach was wearing my Gopro I figured it would be rude to say no when he asked me to wear his. I wasn't worried, my DZ wasn't worried, and still don't think it was a big deal.

But now that I jumped a camera I think I'm ready for a Vilo at 2.0! Kidding, kidding, I like being alive, not paralyzed, and walking. I'll be sticking to my docile canopy for a long while.

JWest

My logic is pretty solid.

My coach was wearing my Gopro I figured it would be rude to say no when he asked me to wear his.

I'd quite like to jump your rig next time, would you mine jumping mine? It'd be rude for you not to jump it, right?... don't worry about the crossbraced 105 that's in there. I'm not.
Solid logic, right?

You jumped a Go-Pro because you wanted to. That's all there is to it. You pushed the limit a little but that doesn't really bug me that much - we've all done it a time or two.

Coming back and bragging about it, while stating that the arguments on here are what were distracting you rather than the camera still shows that you've got a juvenile outlook to the whole thing though.

Let me ask you this. If someone with 80 jumps came up to you at your DZ and said they wanted and were ready to jump a camera, what would you say? Why?

yoink

I'd quite like to jump your rig next time, would you mine jumping mine? It'd be rude for you not to jump it, right?... don't worry about the crossbraced 105 that's in there. I'm not.
Solid logic, right?

Lol, no.

You jumped a Go-Pro because you wanted to. That's all there is to it. You pushed the limit a little but that doesn't really bug me that much - we've all done it a time or two.

I actually hesitated for a few seconds to decided if I was going to. Lets be honest If I wanted to I would have put one on around 100 jumps.

Coming back and bragging about it, while stating that the arguments on here are what were distracting you rather than the camera still shows that you've got a juvenile outlook to the whole thing though.

Not really bragging, can't exactly brag about something that basically everyone can/will/has done. I also never said that. Read what I said and the words I used carefully. I use them for a reason. Knowing you probably won't do that ill just tell you. I said that worrying about the communities reaction to an incident made me nervous way more than the camera or filming. But that all left when the door open.

Let me ask you this. If someone with 80 jumps came up to you at your DZ and said they wanted and were ready to jump a camera, what would you say? Why?

I would make sure they acknowledged the risks involved. If I had personally jumped with them I could give them more specific advice. After that I would tell them to talk to the DZO or lead instructor because they are the ones who decide that stuff. Why? Because I'm not authorized to give people permission to do such things.