GARYC24

Computer builders..

Antec P180B case
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (looking at the P5B as well)
Sapphire Radeon 1950XTX
Fortron 700W PS
Intel Core Duo E6600
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 (2 Gb)
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 250Gb SATA2 HD in Matrix RAID
Lite-on 16x DVD+/-R burner 5x DVD-RAM
Zalman 9700 cooler
Floppy drive (just in case)
Keyboard, mouse, OS

You've got almost the same setup I do.

Mine:

Antec P180 Case
Abit AW9D-Max mainboard
Radeon X1300 (looking at picking up an 8800GTO soon)
Antec Neo 500HE ps
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 running at 3.6
OCZ Platinum DDR2 900 PC7200 (2GB)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 300GB SATAII HD in RAID 0
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB SATAII HD
1x Maxtor 200GB SATAII
Samsung 16X DVD-R/RW drive
Thermaltake Big Typhoon CPU cooler with Silverstone 110cfm fan.

:)

I thought about the NEO ps... but had seen some REALLY bad reviews on them... how was the cable length? Any problems with the AUX PWR lead?

I'm currently using the AGP version of the X1300 in the machine that's dying... pretty nice board. I've not had any problems with it after a driver update.

3.6 is a nice little bump-up...how's your temps under load?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There are performance differences between AMD and Intel, but keep in mind, no matter what the commercials or people tell you, the difference is not that significant. An Intel system might perform 5% better in this type of application, but a comparable AMD processor might have a 5% performance difference in a different type of application. 5% isn't much and you won't ever notice it.

Not true with the release of the Core2 line from Intel. IIRC, the 300$ Core2 E6600 outperforms the top of the line AMD (which runs in the 1000$ range)

A power supply is important for stability and the possible destruction (or not) of your PC components. Don't buy a $5-15 power supply. Preferably go with a company such as Enermax. The PSU will cost you about $65-75, but it will last.

Yep. Stay away from "Ultra" brand power supplies.

The only things you really have to worry about when it comes to compatibility are:

1. AMD or Intel Processor? You must use an AMD or Intel motherboard. You can't use an AMD processor with an Intel motherboard.

I'd say to be sure to check to make sure the PS has the correct connections for the motherboard too. My board uses the EPS12V connectors (8 pin), and had I alot of trouble trying to find an adaptor. I ended up just getting a new power supply.

3. IDE or SATA hard drive? Most likely IDE. If your system has SATA connectors, odds are it does have IDE too. This isn't a big deal. You will probably go with an IDE hard drive, unless you want to spend some extra cash for a "faster" hard drive.

SATA and IDE prices are comparable now. I wouldn't think of an IDE drive with a new system.

I thought about the NEO ps... but had seen some REALLY bad reviews on them... how was the cable length? Any problems with the AUX PWR lead?

Had to use an extension for it due to the ps being at the bottom of the case. Other than that everything was ok.

3.6 is a nice little bump-up...how's your temps under load?

around 28C idle and 40-45C under load (with the fan turned all the way up on the CPU heatsink).

around 28C idle and 40-45C under load (with the fan turned all the way up on the CPU heatsink).

Not bad at all!! You could probably get a bit more, if you haven't hit the wall on your memory...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not bad at all!! You could probably get a bit more, if you haven't hit the wall on your memory...

The memory is doing fine, but I think I've hit the limit of the chipset. Most people aren't getting over 400fsb on the 975 chipset, and I have't bothered to try to hit more than that myself.

I've heard of a few people hitting 4.0ghz on the 6600 air cooled with the 965 chipset, but 3.6 is plenty fast for anything I've been doing with it.

I'm looking at a Intel Pentium D Processor 925 & ECS
RC410L/800-MGF mATX
bare CPU @ 3.ghz
DDR or DDR2 800/533
Radeon X300 Graphics
(x16) PCI-E Upgrade ready
6Ch. Audio + LAN
$139.99
However, I will be putting this together a peice or 2 per month.
But, I predict ~$600 in parts (not including OpSys and software) if it would be better than buying a $600 Dell computer or other store?
THANKS all for replies!
The end.

RC410L/800-MGF mATX
bare CPU @ 3.ghz
DDR or DDR2 800/533
Radeon X300 Graphics
6Ch. Audio + LAN
$139.99
But, I predict ~$600 in parts (not including OpSys and software) if it would be better than buying a $600 Dell computer or other store?
THANKS all for replies!
The end.

You can get a "big-market box" (Dell, etc) for less than you can build one. That's the good part... the bad part is you're stuck with their parts and proprietary drivers. Building your own machine, YOU'RE in complete control over the parts you use.

If you're looking at the Pentium D... check out this link. You obviously don't need to take it to that extreme...but gives you an idea of what's possible.

Good luck!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

RC410L/800-MGF mATX
bare CPU @ 3.ghz
DDR or DDR2 800/533
Radeon X300 Graphics
6Ch. Audio + LAN
$139.99
THANKS all for replies!
The end.

As you're looking for components, check Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com often, they're usually going to have the best prices on stuff.

Also, be sure to pick up a decent ($30+) heat sink/fan for the processor, but make sure it'll fit in the case. The Pentium D series processors tend to run pretty hot. I recommend Zalman. ;)