d_goldsmith

Oily salt water contamination

I landed a mainly F-111 but partly ZP canopy, dacron lines and I'm not sure what the container is made of in oily salt water. The salt content is probably pretty low because it is an inlet from a sound, but it is used for boat traffic and I could feel the oil on me and the canopy after climbing out. I have cold water running on it in the shower right now and I'm hoping someone can give me helpful info tonight if they see this. I won't be able to contact the manufacturer until tomorrow morning. I searched oil, salt and petroleum and read up, and from what I read clean oil is not a problem, but contaminated oil can be a huge problem and can degrade the nylon. I saw that I should use woolite naphta or rubbing alchohol to clean ZP, but it didn't say if that was ok to use on F-111? Thanks for any help you can give me. I know how to deal with salt water, but the oil is freaking me out.

This is a practially brand new canopy, about 40 jumps and I've been treating it good other than one previous water landing in fresh water.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

Best thing you can do for that is use Woolite. Just enough to get the oil broken up. It's the only thing I know that is gentle on Nylon. I had to use it on my rig once and it worked like a champ. I wasnt' rinsing forever and it didn't hurt the material at all. Just soak the canopy in the bath tub with a couple capfulls of Woolite and gentley massage the material. I was recommended Woolite on rigs and canopies by two different master riggors in Florida. I can't imagine you can't use it on F-111 but check with your local paraloft anyway.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

What kind of effects would that have on F111 or Zpo? I'm familiar with PD680 solvent for dry cleaning but that's been known to kill nylon. Not sure if they have the same properties which is why I ask. If you've used it then I will pick some up for myself if it works good.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Hookit...are you suggesting to clean the entire canopy and lines in the solvent?

Or is the solvent best used to spot clean?

The OP seems to have a problem where the entire canopy and lines may have been introduced to a "oily residue in salt water".......How would you suggest adressing this?

Well, if you're going to make me wake up and read the entire post ;)

It shouldn't hurt it but since it was immersed in salt water, he was already doing the right thing. The post regarding the woolite is a good one. It should be rinsed then washed and rinsed again since there was salt.

After drying the canopy, see that the oil is out of it and do a pull test in various places.

Canopy material is durable and the top front 1/3 of the canopy is ZP. Chances are there will be no noticeable degradation. No guarantees but I've seen many canopies go into salt water. Most times it did not have any oil in it though.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto