RastaRicanAir

Laptop: Macbook or Dell?

I have something of a choice to make between taking back my Dell 9100, which is being repaired (after harassing me for several months with constant Windows crashes), or getting a new Apple laptop.

-I'm constantly hearing how much better Apples are with media and creative stuff (great marketing staff they've got over there)
-90% of what I do on my computer is music related: downloading, editing, DJing, listening, IPoding(?), and I would love to be able to compose music on this thing.

-I've also heard Macbooks are still new, and therefore glitchy.
-My perception of Apples is still stuck in the 80's when they had those funny looking Macs with the tiny monitors

Please commence plugging or slamming.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Dell Dell Dell!

I don't know how MacBooks are with music.... but I do understand they are more media friendly. I am a programmer type, so it's Dell all the way.

I helped not at all, huh? That must be the Bailey's. :P

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

It's better to get a macbook pro, if you don't want to shed the stupid amount of money that apple wants (I wouldn't) go for the dell. I had one of their laptops a few years ago and it was great, I even got a free replacement hardisk (I called them Friday afternoon and I had the thing Monday morning!) when I was in Greece even though I bought it second hand from England.

Dell:)
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I recommend the Macbook. It's worth it just for OS X.

It will also come preloaded with Garage Band, with which you can compose music. Other, higher end software is available for the same purpose.

Your iPod will work well with the Macbook. Other MP3 players should work fine.

Viruses are nearly non-existant for Macs.

Should you need to use Windows, it can be run on the Mac in or out of OS X.

I know many people that have switched from Windows to Apple. I know of few, if any, that have gone the other way. There is a reason for that.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I switched over to Apple last Spring and wish I would have made the move sooner. It is more stable than Windows, far easier to use, and I love how it is set-up for music, photos, video, etc.

Simply put, Apple makes sense.

Bryan

I may be slightly biased as my family now owns 9 apple computers and about half a dozen ipods, but mac is by far the way to go. If you have an apple store near you, get the procare plan and you an go in for lessons on any program you want. Im in med school and it runs every single app i could possibly need, i edit video on final cut and imovie HD, use itunes, and garage band to compose music. I dont know who said dells are better for media, but thats pretty much what apples are designed for (aka inspiration for the apple vs. pc commercials). The new macbooks also have built in cameras for both stills and video conferencing which is more useful than you think. Apples are a little more expensive but i guess its the same thing as buying a 15 year old canopy with 800 jumps on a line set or a brand new one, you get what you pay for. Feel free to PM me if you want more details as ive switched many friends, and none have regretted it. Oh yes, and if you really love constantly crashing windows programs that much, the new intel macbooks will run windows too.

its the same thing as buying a 15 year old canopy with 800 jumps on a line set or a brand new one, you get what you pay for.

Oh come on, if there is one good application for OS X then there are ten as good for the PC, which you can easily get free, and (reffering to the previous posts) how is windows not stable? I haven't had a blue screen in more than 5 years, no hangups, no restarts, nothing.

I think you should just go over to a friend's place who has a macbook and play around with it to see if you like it, I had a look at a G4 and a macbook and it just felt weird.

But of course I'v never owned one, so I am as biased as the others!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

My biggest testimate to mac vs. pc is that i dropped my ibook and cracked the screen. Free of charge, i had a new screen installed and returned in less than 72 hours, including the shipping from illinois to california. My girlfriend had a brand new dell, which got a virus, crashed, and they kept for 3 months trying to fix. Two weeks after she got it back it crashed with the same problem. It seems like PCs just slow down over time because of viruses getting backlogged and spyware. Ive had my ibook for 5 years, which is eons in computer time, and it still runs all the software I need just as fast as when I got it. For anything that freezes, you will come to love the force quit option. My current desktop has been on for 37 days and I only have to restart it when I install new software updates. I will give PCs the fact that there are better games for windows, but im not really a gamer. So if you are an uber cool warcraft player, please get a dell.

I switched over to Apple last Spring and wish I would have made the move sooner. It is more stable than Windows, far easier to use, and I love how it is set-up for music, photos, video, etc.

Simply put, Apple makes sense.

Bryan

Me too. Switched in July. Wish I had sooner.
'Shell

Dell sucks ass!!!!

The LCD backlight on my inspiron 5150 (laptop) burn out a month after the warranty expired. Then I spent over 30 hours on the phone durring the next 3 months trying to get the replacement part.

They also put a faulty fan in it which has fried the mother board. They are fixing tat for free because of a class action against them over the bad fans.

I will never buy ANYTHING from Dell again.
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

If you are serious about composing music Apple offers you two options beyond Garageband which is included on every new Mac:Logic Express and Logic Pro....

Logic Express

Logic Pro

The above links have guided tours and in depth explanations of the features of both pieces of software.

I've heard some pretty amazing stuff done just with Garageband. There are several sites devoted to using GB such as icompositions.com.

I don't think you can go wrong buying a Mac laptop....but if you are serious about music, etc you might want to check out a MacBook Pro.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

MacBook. Best of both worlds.

You've got all the amazing music and video capabilities that macs are so well known for, plus a more secure operating system and no crashing or bluescreening or rebooting.

And, if you REALLY want to run windows (dunno why you'd want to do that, tho) you can run windows IN a window using Parallel, or just boot up the mac in windows mode using Boot Camp.

My biggest testimate to mac vs. pc is that i dropped my ibook and cracked the screen. Free of charge, i had a new screen installed and returned in less than 72 hours, including the shipping from illinois to california. My girlfriend had a brand new dell, which got a virus, crashed, and they kept for 3 months trying to fix. Two weeks after she got it back it crashed with the same problem. It seems like PCs just slow down over time because of viruses getting backlogged and spyware. Ive had my ibook for 5 years, which is eons in computer time, and it still runs all the software I need just as fast as when I got it. For anything that freezes, you will come to love the force quit option. My current desktop has been on for 37 days and I only have to restart it when I install new software updates. I will give PCs the fact that there are better games for windows, but im not really a gamer. So if you are an uber cool warcraft player, please get a dell.

Warcraft runs better on my ibook and imac than it does on my toshiba laptop and pc desktop systems.

I haven't shut down or rebooted my ibook in a year, at least. I've just never needed to.

not advocating mac, but don't get a Dell. They got started by building quality computers. Then once they had a good reputation, dropped the quality way down, which is why the prices are so low. Alot of Inspirons have a problem where the power socket breaks off of the mobo.

Now.. as far as the Mac vs PC thing goes, it all depends on you. Or more to the point, your general knowledge of computers and related software. If you REALLY know what you're doing, Linux is awesome. If you mostly know what you're doing, the versatility of Windows and the variety of software is great, if you don't really know alot and if you're just planning on doing some basic media editing/internet/etc then a Mac will work great for you.

Can't fault my Inpsiron 9300.... it's worked for a whole year now (pretty much always switched on).

We also use a LOT of Dells at work and I've never heard anyone grumble about them there.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

we have a lot of dells (thousands) at work and the joke is about how the mother boards always blow

If you must buy a PC buy a lenovo...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I made the Mac switch not too long ago thinking I would use it just for video editing. I now use my Mac book PRO for everything. I will second what everyone has said about Garage band and the whole music, media, graphics, etc part. With the addition of a cable, you can connect a guitar to your mac book pro and record your sessions or even add other instruments with Garage band.

Now, I will admit, if you've never used a Mac before it will be a bit backwards feeling at first but nothing that playing with it and picking up a copy of Mac specific magazine cannot fix.Once you learn the way it works, it will realy just make sense and you'll wonder how you got on without it.

-90% of what I do on my computer is music related: downloading, editing, DJing, listening, IPoding(?), and I would love to be able to compose music on this thing.

Since your primary uses are listed above, it is clear, your best choice is a Mac. You won't be disappointed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Apple all the way. I've said it before and will probably say it again. Macs basically do not get viruses. This is especially helpful if you plan on downloading a lot of stuff.

I've had my iBook G4 for a a year and a half and it is still as fast as the day I bought it. I can't say the same is true for my brother's laptop (a Dell), which is less than half as old as my Mac, and more than half as slow as it, too.

Mac has built a product loyality that just blows me away. But you know what? THEY DESERVE IT!!!

In a way, I always knew that I wanted a mac. I really did, but I was hampered by my work using PC specific programs. Yes I knew that there was VirtualPC and the like, but it still was not native, and thus I did not even want to touch it.

Thus, I could not wait until the Intel based macs came out!!! I bought my MacBook and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I would recomend however adding more memory to whatever mac you get, but that goes for any computer out there!

Also to all you Intel mac'ers out there. A great program that free's you from even needing a copy of windows, but still allows you to run windows programs is CrossOver

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Just a note on the power connections on the dell inspirons. I have a new 1505 inspiron in my hands and the connection has changed to a different type (round plug) and has been moved over to the corner so I'm hoping this problem is fixed. My last Inspiron 8100 had the connection go bad twice just as others have described:(