nate_1979

DITY Move

Ok, getting out of the Navy, and it's time for me to move... If anyone here has by chance done a military DITY move recently please PM me so that I can ask you some questions..

Also, If anyone knows of some good alternatives to renting a U-Haul to move I'd like to hear those as well.

Thanks

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

What the mind can percieve the body will achieve.

Who dares wins and only fools rush in.

Whoever wins, we loose.

;):)

:D:(

Ahh yes, ... I see...

Very helpful, thanks :S
;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not sure how much stuff you need to move, but if it could fit in a trailer check out the classifieds around base. On one of my previous moves I found it to be more cost effective to just buy an enclosed utility trailer to move and store my stuff in. I'm still using it for storage rather than renting a storage unit, but at any time I could sell it. Worth checking out!

I bought mine from a guy being sent overseas from Eglin AFB who just wanted to unload it quickly.
Killing threads since 2004.

Also, If anyone knows of some good alternatives to renting a U-Haul to move I'd like to hear those as well.

Sell everything everything but your clothes and buy new when you get there? You know the man's stuff all eventually ends up in a yard sale anyhow. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Been there, bro. The Navy is required to move you and your stuff to your home of record at no cost. I moved from WA to VA and setup my move online and it was surprisingly smooth. If you decide to let the Navy move you, don't pack up! The movers have to pack everything themselves to inventory and certify. I'm sure you've heard all of the horror stories, but mine went GREAT!

Here's the URL:
https://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/

Good luck and congrats!
"Ducks bite hard, and they don't feel bad..."

yes but a DITY move will make you money.

you'll only break even if the Military movesyou.

At a bare minimum he should do a partial DITY move.

I'm wondering if I'd even break even, shit the U-Haul alone is going to costs over $2k to get from San Diego to Austin... ?

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

At a bare minimum he should do a partial DITY move.

most people do at least a partial DITY move.

I did a full DITY move for my first move... but there are probably people that would be better suited to answer your questions. I had the AF move my stuff the last time... because the ammount of stuff I needed to move and the distance I was moving a full dity wasn't really worth it...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

i just moved my grandma from wva to tx. uhaul quotes were close to $1500, if i remember correctly.

i ended up using abf - (upack.com). they drop off an 18 ft trailer for you to load yourself. you can use as much space as you want. we paid a little over $1200 for 10sq ft of space. you load it, they pick up the trailer and drop it off at your location of choice, then you unload it. no gas costs! we saved SO much money. definately worth checking out...
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I'm lazy, and hate moving...I swear the next time I pcs, the Air Force is doing it for me.

That being said, the partial is probably best way to go....uhaul's are damn expensive, especially if you have to fill up on some diesel (do you also have to pay mileage on the vehicle???).

Good luck on getting out man, thank you for serving.
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil...For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
SR-71 hangar entrance sign at Kadena AFB, Japan

I did a DITY. Got paid but the biggest break is the tax writeoff I think.

We moved over 6000 lbs and got paid about $2800 after taxes. They pay 95% of what it would cost them to pay a mover and then tax you 30%.

For us, the cash was worth it. If you have your own trailer under a certain dimension, you can get reimbured for it's weight and anything inside (minus a car). IF you're single, you'll only get paid for one vehicle that you drive (gas and expenses are a tax writeoff). If you have big stuff like a motorcycle, golf cart or rec veh it's worth it. If it's just your personal shit - it probably won't be worth the hassle. We got our weight up with two motorcycles and a souped up golf cart - otherwise, it wouldn't have been worth it for us either.

Feel free to PM me wiht other questions!B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here