DougH

A request for a Sewing 101 primer...

I have been interested in learning some sewing skills. I figure in this sport it could come in handy.

Aside from a class at a local community college, or a apprenticeship under a rigger, what does a person need to start learning how to sew?

What type of an investment is needed for a level of sewing machine that could sew jumpsuits, and other non critical items?

What are the brand and models that some one should be looking for to start on something like a gear bag, or a jump suit.

A sewing for dummies primer would be awesome!!! :D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DH:Aside from a class at a local community college, or a apprenticeship under a rigger, what does a person need to start learning how to sew?

GP:You can start with anyone you know who knows how to sew. I started using my mother's machine when I was a kid. She sometimes got sore at me for breaking needles because I was sewing denim and such, but I persisted and made a lot of neat stuff, like some custom backpacks.

DH:What type of an investment is needed for a level of sewing machine that could sew jumpsuits, and other non critical items?

GP: Many "home" machines are quite suitable, especially if you get some of the larger needles and the type of thread used to sew parachutes, #69 nylon, or "E" thread. Some adjustments need to be made for the larger thread, so if you find a rigger or someone knowledgeable about machines in general this would be easier.

People throw away a lot of machines like this simply because they are old, but sewing machines are one of those things where old might be a good thing.

I currently use my late grandmothers 1958 Singer home machine for almost everything, including making jumpsuits and repairing canopies.

Hi DougH,

Like Peek, I started out on my mother's rather lightweight home machine. It taught me quite a lot.

A couple of 'heavy-duty' home machines are Singer 401A & Singer 500A. They are about as heavy duty as you will find in a home machine. They both take cams for different stitch patterns.

They both are hard to find. [:/] But try to see if you can find one.

I would suggest you get a 'jeans' needle if you find one of them; it will take 'E' thread.

Good luck; I built a lot of stuff (even my first container) on a 401A,

Jerry

get a machine and a ton of scrap material and start sewing! that's about it...you need stick time so to speak. start by sticking two pieces of fabric together with a home machine and get some of the basics and then find a rigger with some scrap and get a pile of cordura and parapack and start sticking that together, then ask questions... I know we throw away 50 pounds of scrap a week and will happily give you a garbage bag if you ask for it... then look into getting a lightweight industrial such as the Consew 230 which is an industry standard among riggers. this is how I learned to sew and now I do it for a living... once you get the basics down, you'd be surprised how quickly you can pick up the more complex tricks of the trade.

Tom

[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

Minimal investment is required - find a sewing machine shop, and make it plain that you're looking for a basic, used zig-zag machine in working order. Also speak to friends and family who may have something in the back of a cupboard. I picked up a small Pfaff 1471 a few years ago, one of their early efforts in 'electronics'. Despite its small size, it will push a #18 needle and 'E' thread through a ridiculous amount of cloth. It needed a bit of assistance with 6 layers of denim-weight material, but who wouldn't?

FWIW, I subsequently got a Bernina 830, based on its reputation. I found that 'E' thread would jump out of the tension disks for some reason - there were no problems with the more usual size thread, but since I want to use 'E' thread, that was a bit of a deal breaker.

Put the word out that you're looking for a machine - they can show up from the most unlikely sources.

Regards
John