darwin143

Helmet for small head

I've searched through the forums and couldn't really come up with much...there are plenty of threads on helmets for BIG heads :)

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting all my gear together, and have had trouble finding a helmet (open-face) to fit my small head (about 21"). I've tried on whatever the gear stores have, but they usually don't carry many smalls or ANY extra smalls. I would like to try before I buy, but I'm afraid I'll have to just order something and hope it fits!

Anyone have any experience/recommendations?

Thanks!

I have a big head, but during my conversation about sizing with Linda at Bonehead, she said they can provide extra shims to help adjust the fit. Their helmets are also bakable to get it to fit even better as well.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I've got a small head too. Imagine my surprise when I bought my Factory Diver (from someone at my dz) and it was a medium. My nephews first hockey helmet was too big for me (he was 4 at the time).

I too have noticed that smalls very rarely pop up in the classifieds. You'll (and I) just need to be patient for something to come up, and check the classifieds regularily and snatch it up when something does come available.

Otherwise, if you want and can afford to go new, you should be able to order, and if it doesn't fit, return it to exchange for a different size. Or ask around at your dz to see if anyone has smaller sized helmets you could try on.

A cheap alternative to tide you over would be to find a used old Pro-tec (any size). You can order any size liners for about $15 (at least at Square 1 they're $15.

Good luck!

I have a big head, but during my conversation about sizing with Linda at Bonehead, she said they can provide extra shims to help adjust the fit. Their helmets are also bakable to get it to fit even better as well.

Yeah BH seems to be my #1 option right now (since the small Evo and Hurricane were too big). I'll just have to work with them to get the right fit! Wish they were located somewhere in FL :)
Thanks for the input :)

I too have noticed that smalls very rarely pop up in the classifieds. You'll (and I) just need to be patient for something to come up, and check the classifieds regularily and snatch it up when something does come available.

The problem is, even the smalls I've tried on are too big :( So even when I see a small pop up in the classifieds I'm a bit apprehensive to buy.

Otherwise, if you want and can afford to go new, you should be able to order, and if it doesn't fit, return it to exchange for a different size. Or ask around at your dz to see if anyone has smaller sized helmets you could try on.

Probably just end up buying new and returning until it fits. The initial price of the helmet isn't a problem, just don't want to spend too much on return shipping :)
Thanks!

Hey, I have a teeny noggin too, and I own one of the old style n-vertigo from sky systems. Fits great - but I'm not sure where you might get a hold of one.

Let me know if you want to try it out :)

sky systems is based in Deland, right? I was thinking of swinging by there to try on their XS helmets while I'm in Deland picking up my new rig, but I keep a look out for the n-vertigo too! Thanks :P

Yeah, they are in DeLand - just right across from the DZ. I work at PD which is just half a mile down the road, so let me know when you are coming by and I'll bring my helmet to work.
As a matter of fact... I think I have my old green nVertigo somewhere... and I really don't need 2 helmets... well definitely come see me!
Blue Skies Magazine

Have you looked into a

"Total head coverage" helmet.

Open faced, looks very smart, I have a med with small pad inserts, nice and very tight.

The back neck part is high, good for head up stuff.

It will take small knocks, no probs.

Not sure who sells, so do a search on the net, try Empuriabrava.

Steve
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

cookie composites makes some nice small helmets as well. My head measures ~21.5 and I wear a small... I also have a medium oxygn but haven't worn it in the air yet... it's definately a bit looser than the cookie is though. I'd really love to try on a small oxygn to compare.

Hmmm...hadn't heard of them until now. A bit pricey, but I'll definitely look into it! Thanks!

Probably just differently shaped than mine but I will say that at first I thought the helmet was going to be too big but the more I used the helmet it kinda molded to my head better (if that makes any sense)

Hmmm...maybe I can demo it? Don't know if they do that for helmets.

2kcomposites helmets don't come in sizes (s,m,l,etc) they make it to fit your head size and shape. But they specialize in camera helmets. If you can't find anything that fits from the classifieds or local gear shops you could get a custom built Side -FX, then you'd have a platform for a camera later on.

2kcomposites helmets don't come in sizes (s,m,l,etc) they make it to fit your head size and shape. But they specialize in camera helmets. If you can't find anything that fits from the classifieds or local gear shops you could get a custom built Side -FX, then you'd have a platform for a camera later on.

I have a feeling that would be a bit out of my price range [:/] And its a BIT too early to be thinking of flying camera :)

Aaah... someone else with a tiny head! Welcome, sister.

Other posters have said it-- but I have a Cookie (Sm or XS); started with a Hurricane (Sm or XS), and also fly a Bonehead Optik for video. The Cookie is very snug, almost too tight. I love the Hurricane, but I've just about beaten it to death doing tandems.

Almost any one that you purchase should come with extra padding so that you can customize the fit. Most have sections in the top and then each side. That should help with whatever shape issues you might be having.

If you happen to swing through OH, you can try mine on;).

Good luck!

Aaah... someone else with a tiny head! Welcome, sister.

Other posters have said it-- but I have a Cookie (Sm or XS); started with a Hurricane (Sm or XS), and also fly a Bonehead Optik for video. The Cookie is very snug, almost too tight. I love the Hurricane, but I've just about beaten it to death doing tandems.

Almost any one that you purchase should come with extra padding so that you can customize the fit. Most have sections in the top and then each side. That should help with whatever shape issues you might be having.

If you happen to swing through OH, you can try mine on;).

Good luck!

Thanks for the input...

Don't see myself being anywhere near OH anytime soon, but thanks for the offer anyway :)