quinnian

1998 Stiletto -- Too Old?

Hi,

Looking at a '98 Stiletto with approx 450 jumps, 1st line set. Will have a rigger check the trim but generally seeking opinion on whether one thinks age has anything to do with it. Its now nine years of age so when do we say enough is enough?

Thanks all,

I think my Stilleto 107 is a 1998. The label is too worn to read, but I remember something like that when I bought it 2nd hand in 2003. Since then I've done close on 1000 dives on it, and relined it with 825lb spectra some 500 dives back.

I load it to 1.8 something and jump a DZ 5000ft AMSL and hot, and the canopy is still serving me well.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

as long as it was cared for properly and not heavily abused, the canopy being 10 years old is no problem. There are still alot of airworthy canopies around and being jumped that are 10+ years old.

My cobalt is a 98 or 99, about 400-450 jumps on it with the original lineset, still in great condition... A sabre 150 that I had was a 93 and it was also still in great condition (it had a new lineset though)

I have a jedei 105 made in 98 with about 2500 jumps on it, i put about 500 myself:P It had new line set installed about 500 jumps ago and now its really out of trim, also has couple really big patches too. I load it about 1.7-1.8 and this damn thing is still flying, in fact if everything is done right it takes me almost as far as brand new katana. My point is that age and number of jumps doesn’t mean much if canopy has been properly maintained. On the other hand usually its hard to tell how many times canopy has been jumped, I suspect that with 450 jumps it should still be slippery.

Hi,

Looking at a '98 Stiletto with approx 450 jumps, 1st line set. Will have a rigger check the trim but generally seeking opinion on whether one thinks age has anything to do with it. Its now nine years of age so when do we say enough is enough?

My Stiletto was made in 1994. I bought it with 600 jumps on it and added another 600 to bring the total to 1200.

Apart from needing its third lineset and the neon yellow center cell being somewhat dirty it's a fine canopy.

With only 450 jumps, unless the previous owner dragged it across runways you shouldn't have to worry about wear.

OTOH, you might want something a bit more broken in. 1000 jumps is enough so that the ZP slick is pretty much gone from the outside and for the stitching holes to open up enough that getting air out is easy - you get something which packs like F111 but flies like new.

Don't mean to sound...condescending or rude, but to me, someone asking a question like this probably shouldn't be jumping an elliptical canopy like a Stilletto. I don't jump anything elliptical myself.

Elisha,
Don't mean to sound rude myself but that was a bit of a smartass reply. By asking the question, it shows he's smart enough to question gear with age on it. Would you buy a ten year old car without asking someone's opinion?
How about a ten-year old gun? What model is it, how many rounds shot through it, others experience with it, etc.?
Mack The Knife
"IT IS SAID THAT THE WARRIOR'S IS THE TWOFOLD WAY OF PEN AND SWORD, AND HE SHOULD HAVE A TASTE FOR BOTH WAYS." MIYAMOTO MUSASHI, A BOOK OF FIVE RINGS.

Don't mean to sound...condescending or rude, but to me, someone asking a question like this probably shouldn't be jumping an elliptical canopy like a Stilletto. I don't jump anything elliptical myself.

Agree... somewhat...

Et all,

maybe consider not giving canopy advice to folks who don't fill out their profile?

the age doesn't matter, the number of jumps does... at 450 jumps you're right about ready for a new lineset... and besides, better safe than sorry, if you're buying a new (to you) canopy, go ahead and spend the extra 150 bucks and get a new lineset and start off on the right foot.. my 2 cents

Tom

[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com
What's YOUR Zombie Plan?

You may find that the proper climates add crazy life to canopies. I live in Maine. We jump April through October. Very low UV exposure. Cool summers at night. I just got rid of a 93 PD Sabre 1 170 with over 3600 jumps. I had just put a new line set on it. One very small patch. I still flew GREAT. I just partially traded some gear with the canopy to pick up an Icarus Xfire 1. Haven't jumped it yet though.

Blue Skies

I've got Stilletto #16, the oldest flying stilletto 120 in the world, and it still flys great. Granted it only has about 1200-1400 jumps on it.

Mark Klingelhoefer

Bonnie's been trying to seel my Mfg 3/91 Sabre1-150, but no buyer yet...and I think it has less jumps! C'mon people! I need the money to buy a Neptune....or jumpsuit...or blah blah....