fallin

Flat Vrs PRO

Hi all,
Can anyone enlighten me on the benfits of PRO packing. Almost every experienced jumper seems to PRO pack...but is it better, safer or just cooler. I fly a Sabre 150; would I notice any difference in pack volume or opening.
Thanx

I'd say "speed" is the diff.
I'm sure you'll get some great responses, but having been packing with flatpak (how I learned) Jack-Pack (sort of a combination Pro and Flat) and ProPacking, I don't notice anything different other than speed. I'd *guess* that the flatpack is probably the most conscious and "safest" pack job of the different methods, but for me anyway, it's by far the slowest.
As far as pack volume, I've got a 190 that just simply packs large no matter what method I used, I've tried all three and can't seen any discernable difference between any of the pack styles.

However, I'm still pretty new in the game too.

I would say the main difference was the orientation going into the bag. As someone pointed out, the flat pack comes out at 90 deg, the pro-pack (standing for Proper Ram-Air Orientation) comes out on heading.
Flat packing is generally neater and so perhaps gives more confidence that you've done it correctly! It's also easier for larger canopies (such as a student or tandem canopy) as you're not trying to hold the weight of 290+ square feet of fabric!
I'd also say it probably gives students a better idea of the 'anatomy' of the canopy and allows it to be left at the various check stages while they run off to find someone to check it!
I think most modern canopies are designed to be Pro-packed (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Pilot certainly comes with colour coded line attachments so you can easily separate the line groups.
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

Flat packing is good but it means your canopy comes out of the bag at a 90 degree angle. pro packing comes out on heading

That is wrong. Prior to bagging they are in the same orientation, no matter which method you use.

If you dont understand why then get your local packer to show you.

The only difference I have found between the two is time. Some newer, and usually smaller sized, canopies dont have packing tabs. Which makes it more difficult to flat pack and some manufacturers recommend how best to pack them.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

I would say the main difference was the orientation going into the bag. As someone pointed out, the flat pack comes out at 90 deg, the pro-pack (standing for Proper Ram-Air Orientation) comes out on heading.
Flat packing is generally neater and so perhaps gives more confidence that you've done it correctly! It's also easier for larger canopies (such as a student or tandem canopy) as you're not trying to hold the weight of 290+ square feet of fabric!
I'd also say it probably gives students a better idea of the 'anatomy' of the canopy and allows it to be left at the various check stages while they run off to find someone to check it!
I think most modern canopies are designed to be Pro-packed (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Pilot certainly comes with colour coded line attachments so you can easily separate the line groups.

My stack pack/flat pack still has the nose pointed forward and the tail split around all of it just like a pro pack. I do not suffer from off heading openings.

I know a multi-time world RW champion that when he packs for himself (not often any more), still stack/flat packs (at the time it was a stilleto, don't know what he has now). It doesn't take longer than a pro pack.

I don't think it is right to say the canopies are "designed" to be pro packed. Just that the mfgs say that it is better. There are many different ways to flat pack, including what used to be called a roll pack, where both the nose and tail were simply folded/rolled toward the center. That method of flat packing has gone out of favor.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I find that with flat packing I can extract more air from it and can pack it smaller volume and this way it is easier to get into the bag as well as close the container. Flat packing is also a lot easier with larger canopies.

Hi all,
Can anyone enlighten me on the benfits of PRO packing. Almost every experienced jumper seems to PRO pack...but is it better, safer or just cooler. I fly a Sabre 150; would I notice any difference in pack volume or opening.
Thanx

Flat - much easier for a newbie to understand what is going on with the packjob (oh-boy am I going to get slammed for that...:P) Everything is laid out and orderly. Can be a quick as a PRO. If done correctly the canopy is packed in line, but often the nose (ONLY) is wrapped toward one side (this is the origin of the "90 degrees off heading" concept) and there is a way of handling the nose that "corrects" this, though I never found it necessary. In my experience this is a great way to start and is good for F111 canopies.

PRO - focuses on splitting the canopy left/right around the center cell and is easier to get the canopy to open on heading (IFF you also address the other 100 things that cause a bag to twist prior to canopy extraction). Easy to learn if you have a multicolored canopy, are familiar with the construction of the canopy and can picture what is going on while holding your head upside-down in a nylon bag ;). In my experience, this is a better technique for controlling ZP canopies.

(PRO - Reserve canopy techniques are very similar, but followed by additional dressing rarely done on mains and in my mind is a different method.)

Having travelled a bit, I have found that many DZ's do not have space for everyone to flat pack, so I finally learned to PRO pack... (besides who would trust a rigger who couldn't PRO pack their main...;))

About me -
Main Flat packs: ~800
Main Pro packs: ~400

Your experience will vary.

Better - neither
Safer - neither (IFF learned/used correctly)
Cooler - PRO is perceived so as you spend more of your time standing, but the proof is that packing yourself a mal is uncool if you mess up using either technique.

My guess is that the typical Sabre 150 jumper (who packes for themselves) PRO packs.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I find that with flat packing I can extract more air from it and can pack it smaller volume and this way it is easier to get into the bag as well as close the container. Flat packing is also a lot easier with larger canopies.

Oh, how I wish this were so for my Silhouette. I could have bought the next size down container and kept it for the next canopy progression. No one, using any packing method, could get any difference. Both in high altitude/cold, and Hawaii/warm.

I am not an expert and it took me a while to learn how to flat-pack my chute (I cannot even do my bed yet ;) ). This is is my experience:

Pro pack is a lot easier even for my PD210, it is a much more faster, needs less room to pack, openings are great and on heading (with flack packing you should expect some turn) if you pack it well. You can easily pack it for fast, slow and normal openings. Disadvantage: very difficult for bigger canopies.
It is cooler, too ;)
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

I would never PRO pack a canopy larger than 120 square feet. It's pointless, takes longer, and does not open any better. If you, when PRO packing, cannot lift the canopy off the ground and hold it at your hip while you flake it, you are wasting time. If you hold it over your shoulder or, GASP!, use a hook, you are really out of your mind.

Chuck

I forgot to mention that my PD Ram-Air Parachute Owner's Manual recommends Pro-packing for my PD210 (Page 13) and fully describes each step: pages 13 to 34.

Please check this link:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/MainUsersManual.pdf
Gonzalo

I think it happens because one side of the canopy gets air before the other side.

A kind of pin-wheel effect, then? Do you think it would turn more if it took longer to open? (I'm imagining a reefing system that holds the lines together at the base of the canopy for an extra 2, 3, or 4 seconds before letting the deployment continue normally.)

Also, I'm having a little trouble visualizing how one side of the canopy "gets air" before the other side does. Maybe you could draw a picture.

Mark

Well, as I said I am not an expert.

I think that as the right side of the nose is folded over the left side of the nose the right cells get air before the left cells, producing more lift on the right side and causing a left turn. I think it would turn more if it took longer to open because the asymmetrical lift would last longer.

But I am sure you know the answers a lot better than me :)
Gonzalo

Hi all,
Can anyone enlighten me on the benfits of PRO packing.

A standing pro-pack takes less space. When it's 90 degrees out, space is limited inside, and space outside isn't pro-packing means you won't have to choose between making people happy by not using too much room and drowning in your own sweat.

A standing pro-pack lets you reduce opening speed some by rolling the tail which will be more significant on your Sabre than more modern canopies.

Pro-packing makes symetrical reserve pack jobs which fit into molar bags.

The big downside is that a standing pro-pack doesn't offer positive control over the steering lines.