leonanderson

longterm rig storing advice

Hey all, I purchased a great almost new rig last year. But given work demands, I may not get to jump it for another 18 mos. Is it hard on a canopy and lines to stay packed for a couple years? Will that likely affect its performance? I guess reserves stay packed for ever if you're lucky, but still work when folks need them. Any advice appreciated. -Leon

Unpack them and place them in a tote. (preference to a dark color) then place the tote in a dry place like a closet. Do not place it in a area that could be subject to water damage, High heat temp. or changing temps or high humitity, etc..

Then when you are ready to use them have them inspected by your rigger (as the rigger will have too any way since the reserve will need repack)...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I thought you unpacked a rig for storage to insure there were no bugs currently in the canopies and to get the rubber bands away from the lines on the main (and/or reserve depending on the design). That way they don't decay and start to break down onto the lines.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Put it in a sealed plastic bag...

A sealed bag leads to mildew. The mildew doesn't affect the integrity of the nylon, but it does make the rig smell bad. If you must use a sealed container, then stick in some naphthelene flakes (moth balls). Your rig will smell like moth balls for a little while after it comes out of storage, but the smell will eventually go away. it is almost impossible to get rid of mildew smell.

A cotton bag works better for air circulation and will keep most insects out.

Creases in the fabric do not affect strength.

Rubber band deterioration is a bit of an issue, but unless you have a newer Racer, there are no rubber bands on the reserve. Also, if going to a 180-day repack cycle is going to be okay for a Racer equipped with a rubber-band freebag, I think you'll probably be okay going for 6 months without the rubber bands on your main rotting. Also, the issue with rubber bands going bad is line dump, not contamination of grommets or lines. Repacking your main (required if it's been more than 120 days) will allow you to check.

Mark

You need moisture to grow mildew so the storage area must be dry and the rig must be dry and completely moisture free before storage. Obviously it would not be a good idea to store damp gear in a plastic bag.

The plastic bag is to protect it from moisture, bugs, etc. not seal it in.

You need moisture to grow mildew so the storage area must be dry and the rig must be dry and completely moisture free before storage. Obviously it would not be a good idea to store damp gear in a plastic bag.

The gear does not have to be damp for there to be a problem with condensation inside a plastic bag. All you need is for the relative humidity to be high enough that a lower temperature will allow for condensation. Air circulation does not prevent humidity changes, but it does keep the humidity from becoming condensate.

Mark

Unpack main and reserve, shake out loosely, daisy-chain the lines and store in a cloth kit bag. Remove batteries from the AAD and store them separately. Store everything in a dark, cool place, preferably with air-conditioning. Zero-P canopies will stick together into a brick if left packed for long periods of time.

Zero-P canopies will stick together into a brick if left packed for long periods of time.***

I have the same issue.Can you define"long periods of time"?
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

>>>RE: Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have unpacked both canopies and stored them loosely in cloth bags in an air-conditioned room. Appreciate the advice. -Leon

That will work just fine but there is still no valid reason to unpack the rig. It will just take up more space.

As far as the "brick" effect so what? it will still be opened, shaken out, and inspected before the next jump cycle anyway. Leaving it packed will not hurt the equipment in any way. That is just silly.

Placing the gear in a cotton bag just means you are concerned with moisture and the cotton will absorb the moisture thus keeping the nylon dry.

I have a good friend that owns a very large loft with likely the largest inventory of new and used equipment in the country. He keeps all of his gear stored in a climate controlled loft in plastic bags.
No problem with midew ever. I have personally taken new canopies made in the '80s out of bags and they still appeared to be brand new.

I think some of the advice given comes from the old school with natural fibers and damp storage areas. Moth balls? Are you kidding?

You simply can not grow mildew without moisture and organic matter. It is not physically possible.

I have stored gear in dry closets in plastic bags for years with no condensation or mold, or mildew. Each time it comes out looking just like it did when it was stored.

But hey, if it makes you feel better........

Rubber band deterioration is a bit of an issue, but unless you have a newer Racer, there are no rubber bands on the reserve.

there are no grommets in the racer speed bag. Isn't the main issue of rubber band deterioration is when they are in contact with (brass) grommets?

rm

there are no grommets in the racer speed bag. Isn't the main issue of rubber band deterioration is when they are in contact with brass?

Whoops! My mistake. The only time it would be an issue would be if you were using rubber bands instead of a Safety Stow™ to close the pre-speedbag freebag.

Mark