jaybwise

which audible is best?

I like my Optima... the canopy alarms are nice (I don't use the guide tone swooper thing).

I just got an LED add on for it for xmas, but I haven't had a chance to jump with it yet.

My only complaint is that the user interface can be a pain in the ass, sometimes I have to repeatedly push buttons to get it to unlock or let me change settings. [:/]
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

but can the optima log jumps?

If you're looking for a device that I think does it all, and more features are in development, then consider the Neptune from Alti-2. What will the new features be? You'll have to wait to find out, Alti-2 isn't telling anyone. So you should probably only look at the current features to make your purchase decision.

I've had my Neptune since the beginning of 2004 and I am very happy with it after 3 seasons of usage.

For me the decision to buy a Neptune, based on ease of use and Alti-2's reputation, was easy.

Edit to add: http://www.alti-2.com/Neptune_product_pages/neptune_features.htm
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I've not heard of any problems and certainly it's not an issue with my Bonehead Mindwarp.
I've loaned my Neptune to a variety of friends with various helmets and its not been an issue.

First I've heard of any rumours at all on this.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The Neptune is a little thicker than the Pro-Track, but it's usually not a problem. You shouldn't have trouble fitting it into most helmets. As far as ease of use goes, the Neptune is also a hands-down winner. That's why I bought a Neptune. However, after going through four of them, none of them lasting as long as a hundred jumps, I got tired of sending them in and getting them repleaced. After Alti 2 sent my fifth one to me, I sold it, bought a Pro-Track, and haven't had a problem since. I had every problem you can imaginge, or it seems like it, with the Neptune. I just couldn't get one to last longer than a couple months. I will say that Alti 2 customer service was tremendous and I never had a problem getting resolution to the issues. I also know a lot of people that have never had a problem with theirs. Maybe it's just my dumb luck. Anyway, I'm happy with the Pro-Track, but I liked the Neptune better......when it worked.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Is there anything that the Pro track does that the Neptune doesn't?

Not feature-wise.

The Neptune has far more features - it can be used as a wrist-mounted visual alti, records freefall data past the 2min mark, is firmware upgradable, etc.

The downside is that despite quite a few revisions, it still suffers from a number of software bugs. The Pro-Track doesn't - it just works.

So, if you want an audible that works all the time, every time, I'd recommend the Pro-Track. If you want lots of cool features and can live with the possibility that the device may occasionally fail, then the Neptune is what you're after.

One other approach is to buy a simple audible, such as a Pro-Dytter, Solo, or Optima, and put all the logging on your wrist with a Neptune, Viso, or Altitrack. This is a more expensive route, but I'm mentioning it just in case you haven't thought of it.

As far as an audible goes, the one thing that the Protrack does that the Neptune does not do is give a "siren" (changing frequency) type of third warning. I believe that the Neptune just flat-lines.

My personal preferance is the siren type of signal as I think that would catch my attention faster than just a flatline. I also prefer the frequency range of the protrack and wish that they had not changed it for the optima. :(

Don't have a lot of jumps yet, but I do have a Solo. On a jump I have only heard the first two alarms, so far, and as long as things go right, I should never hear the third. I hear them very well and I have this mounted inside a Pro-Tec with the speaker facing out. I like the simple operation as well as the tones letting me know it's working that I get at about 1K.
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Well, I went ahead and got myself a Pro Track. Mainly because it has good reviews and it does everything I want it for. The neptune seems to have a lot of good features but also alot of problems. The reviews aren't the best either. Not having to worry about the headache of it not working and having to send it in for repair, to me is worth the not having the extra features.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I too looked at the pro-track. Around Christmas time, my girlfriend asked me for some stuff I wanted. I saw the new Alti-track and really liked that because it did the tracking the pro-track does except I get the analog display for the altimeter as well as the fact that it stores more jumps. I thought the Alti-track/Solo combination was a great fit. She, being the best girlfriend in the world, as well as the best friend a person could want, got me both! B|
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Some features like speed measurement are not reliable when the pro-track is used as an audible altimeter (I tried it several times)

I prefer using the Pro-Dytter as an audible altimeter and will purchase a Pro-Track to keep a log of my jumps conditions like speed, etc. I found the Pro-Dytter excellent, reliable and has not failed when it is raining while others stopped working.
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

I have an Optima, and a VISO (for my wrist, has a log book). I like them both. It took me a while to figure out how to get into them, but it's second nature now. I'll watch the altitude change on the way up, and they match almost exactly in their readings too.

L&B is an awesome company when it comes to customer service...