normiss

Bailing out low?

But a hands back and to the sides, and a squared shoulders and head high attitude relative to the prop(s), and feet and legs blowing back and up....works best for me....

Thanks for that lesson, Jimmy. It's been a long time since I've done a hop n' pop or exited in a position to where I'm squaring up at the door. It's a good refresher! B|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Popsjumper basically stood in the door and gave us an exit signal, so there was enough exit separation between jumpers. He yelled "GO!" and gestured with his arm. He did a great job, and it helped keep the exit nice and orderly....

Good job Andy !
... Marion

do you ever find that the P.C. , bridle, or D-Bag tend to bounce around and into your legs or feet, when you pitch so quickly after exit?????
..while using that technique??
just goes to show that there are many ways to do the same thing..
the trick...find something that works, and become comfortable with it
NOW.. If you are still jumping a strato Star !!!!
OMG !!! a strato star????:|:oB|;) as your profile indicates.... I'd be Damn concerned about that 30 feet of 'ropes' coming off your back...
UNLESS, or course it's "been modernized" to a slider!!!!!!!!:ph34r:B|

jt

I used to have a limit of 1800 for this type of situation. After doing several demos and seeing the sub-terminal opening characteristics of my canopy I would go for the main as long as I am above 1400' anything lower and I will go for reserve to avoid putting myself in Cypres range.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

. Not to mention the very real chance of having 2 out due to an AAD fire (I've heard they arm at 1200', fire around 750??? - not sure if this is true).

It's not true.... a Cypres or other AAD does not "arm" at all. It senses pressure to determine speed and altitiude and if that threshhold is crossed it fires. It is not as technical as many believe.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

no aad for me so no worries about two out. and old school sabres open quick. so anything above 1200 I'm going main. but that's just me ymmv. but I seem to be guessing from this thread that a full load of farm jumpers visited the asc landing area is that correct?B| howed that go over?

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

You're on an Otter, engine out at 1800 ft, which canopy do YOU go for and why?

I suspect that a significant fraction of those who voted for "reserve" would in fact go straight to their main on account of muscle memory taking over in a time of stress.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's not true.... a Cypres or other AAD does not "arm" at all. It senses pressure to determine speed and altitiude and if that threshhold is crossed it fires. It is not as technical as many believe.

Actually, the Cypres does "arm" on the way up. If you haven't ascended more than 1500' since take-off, the Cyres will not fire even if you otherwise meet the firing parameters.

In other words, if you exit the plane at less than 1500' AGL, your Cypres is essentially turned off. On the other hand, you really can't count on it being off either, because it might have "armed" early if it thought it was higher than it was. It's a tricky situation.

Read the manual. Everyone.

For me, anything below 1500' will be straight to reserve. I do a fair amount of hop and pops and am quite comfortable with how my canopy opens.

- Dan G

im a student jumper just off aff. this thread opens up a can of worms for me especially since i jump at the farm. popsjumper will have a bunch of questions from me the next time i get out there. glad everything worked out for everyone involved.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Different AAD's have different parameters for firing. It's important to know what combination of freefall speed and altitude causes your specific model to fire.

Edit: Whoops! I missed DanG's post before I wrote this. Oh well, I guess I'm like Ed McMahon now.

Actually, the Cypres does "arm" on the way up. If you haven't ascended more than 1500' since take-off, the Cyres will not fire even if you otherwise meet the firing parameters.

In other words, if you exit the plane at less than 1500' AGL, your Cypres is essentially turned off. On the other hand, you really can't count on it being off either, because it might have "armed" early if it thought it was higher than it was. It's a tricky situation.

Read the manual. Everyone.

For me, anything below 1500' will be straight to reserve. I do a fair amount of hop and pops and am quite comfortable with how my canopy opens.

Actually the expert and student arm at 1500 AGL on ascent and a tandem at 3000 AGL. This is true but the misconception that it is "arming", "thinking" or "loading" to fire on descent when approaching its fire altitude is incorrect. This is what I was addressing and it is a common misconception amoung the community. You are right about not counting on those hard numbers. ;)
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

Different AAD's have different parameters for firing. It's important to know what combination of freefall speed and altitude causes your specific model to fire.

True I am only speaking about Cypres units which is the only kind I jump with.

You're on an Otter, engine out at 1800 ft, which canopy do YOU go for and why?

I suspect that a significant fraction of those who voted for "reserve" would in fact go straight to their main on account of muscle memory taking over in a time of stress.

That's why I exited with my left hand already on my reserve handle, right hand nowhere near my pilot chute. ;) I saw a lot of people in front of me exiting with their hand already on their hackey.

Only thing I would have maybe done different?? Disconnected the RSL. I forgot to do that, but I'm really not sure what difference it would have made. :S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Only thing I would have maybe done different?? Disconnected the RSL. I forgot to do that, but I'm really not sure what difference it would have made.

Do you mean on the plane, or once under reserve canopy? Other than a quick handle check, I wouldn't recommend clawing at one's gear, on the plane with the door open, under the stress of a mass emergency exit.

I saw a lot of hands on hackies, too. I exited the same way, with the sort of track up jumprun exit that Jimmy T mentioned. Your hand is already right there with that exit and it allows you to pitch very quickly while stable. I just figured I'd have my hand already on that hackey for good measure ;)

If I was exiting reserve I would have had my hand in that handle as I bailed as well. How weird did that feel, stepping out of the plane and pulling silver instead of the usual?

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

If I was exiting reserve I would have had my hand in that handle as I bailed as well. How weird did that feel, stepping out of the plane and pulling silver instead of the usual?

Weird, but good, in a way. :S I was definitely nervous as I went out the door, but then I was relieved when I saw a perfect canopy over my head, and to have my 1st reserve ride over with. The pull was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. My wallet didn't feel lighter at all...I watched my freebag land and my husband is a rigger. :D

As for the RSL, I meant I would have disconnected it in the plane before exit. We had several minutes while we were sitting in the plane waiting for the spot and I was towards the back so I could have done it then. But it probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway, so I guess you're right, why bother messing with it under already stressful circumstances?? That's just the only thing I can think of that I might do differently if I ever find myself in the same situation again. But I might not. Just one more thing to think about.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

It would have felt like my wallet got $60 lighter.

Is it wrong that that actually entered my mind before I made the final decision on which canopy to use on bailout? ....... because it did.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251