seal_S49

Riggers, where do you get...?

some that are rig-specific (like the wings) you almost have to get from the rig manufacturer but for everything else I get them from Jump Shack (disclaimer - I work there sometimes too but when I rig in the field or the loft I get them from here). They are high quality, heavy duty spandex, bound with binding tape and about $15
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Hard to beat $15 per BOC.
The challenge is finding heavy-duty Spandex.
I usually buy heavy-duty Spandex from Al MacDonald at Flying High Manufacturing.
Hint: Flying High made most of our Student Sidewinder containers.
Sidewinder BOCs typically measure 4 inches by 9 inches.

Those guys at UPT or whatever they're called now were using a cross between spandex and cordura called Spandura, right?

I haven't checked it out on any rigs, can you say it is an improvement worth getting? Do you know if you have to buy it from them, or is a pocket made from that stuff more widely available now?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

...... but lasts longer when dragged across the airplane floor.

ah... the way we treat our shit :)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I've been buying mine from Mike Furry at Altico for the past several years. They are made out of the heavy duty spandex. Same material Sun Path uses. He carries just black, but I think I pay $12 per pouch...maybe its $15. It's been a few months since I've ordered them.

I get about 10 of two sizes with each order. 4 x 7.5" and 4 x 9.5".

If I need other colors, I usually order from Sun Path...a bit more expensive...can't recall the price.

I did buy several yards of the heavy duty black spandex from Sun Path a couple of years ago...and do have a double-needle machine setup to bind...but haven't taken the time to start making them myself yet. Will probably do that eventually...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I normally use the Spandex material from Rainbow. This company is manufacturing jumpsuits in Germany and that is the material they use for the forearms of their high speed FS jumpsuits.
That material is made of two layers of Spandex sticked back to back (with the shining side facing outside). It is elastic in both directions and by the way controls very efficiently the pilot chute, is VERY durable and does not permanently deform. That material is more expensive compared with the Spandex sold by e.g. Para Gear but, as it must not be replaced as often than normal pockets, that is still a good buy. I would add that it is easy to sew and bind.

Form and size of pockets differ from rig to rig and with the type (and size) of pilot chute used.

JP

Yikes - pretty old gear - or old jumper who still needs this mod. (snip) Is that old gear airwothy?

I hope a DPRE would agree that OEM pouches eventually wear out and need replacement, and that this doesn't constitute a "mod." (maybe you meant alteration). Regarding your question, I'm not going to comment on whether a rig is still airworthy when it's so "old" that it's main PC pouch is worn-out.:P