MagicGuy

Scuff On Container

I just bought a new-to-me container that is perfect in every way, except a quarter sized scuff on the main closing flap. I am very nit-picky about my gear and as ridiculous as it sounds almost didn't buy the container because of said scuff.

Anyways, was wondering if it would hurt the container to fill in the scuff with a Sharpie. The cordura is black so I'm guessing it will blend in fairly well. Any advice on this, other than not to be so anal about a scuff mark?

Any other tips are also welcome!

The generic response you will get from riggers is "don't do it" While sharpies would generally be considered benign, one of the rules in dealing with safety-related and officially certified equipment is don't mess with it, especially by putting chemicals on it that have not been thoroughally tested for their effects. People who have violated this guideline (although usually on a bigger scale, by dyeing their rigs) have had riggers refuse to pack it. I will admit that doing so on a main flap is much less likely to get you in trouble, but still, I say don't.

A better plan is to land in a ditch, and get dragged through the mud. Then the little scuff will seem insignificant.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Wear a blindfold while packing it, then you won't see it.
If it is just a scuff and not wearing through don't worry about it.
If it bothers you a lot get the flap replaced and then no worries.
It's your rig and your call.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Fish, the Talon is fine, but I bought a Wings container with reserve from the Classifieds. I have another canopy that needed a home and the Wings (besides the fucking scuff) fit the bill quite well.

I didn't know that the flap could be replaced. That puts my mind at ease a bit. I'll wait until it sees some more use and if it gets worse or I just can't take looking at it I'll give Sunrise Mfg. a call.

If you find some cool patch you could sew that on over the scuff. Like putting a picture on the wall to cover a hole.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I thought about a patch as well, but if coloring in the scuff with a Sharpie is a no-no, I doubt sewing a patch onto the flap would be any more acceptable.

I'm really not all that concerned about it. Like I said, besides the scuff the container is mint, and sitting in a Cessna with the rig against the back of the plane is bound to put it's wear and tear on the container. But I do what I can to minimize that shit and considering I'm not the one that put it on there, I wanted to try to disguise it as much as possible.

if coloring in the scuff with a Sharpie is a no-no, I doubt sewing a patch onto the flap would be any more acceptable.

Quite different than coloring with a sharpie, I think a sewn on patch would be OK, really.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Ok, check this out. My friend just bought a Javelin that is mostly black with pink and turqoise.. Myself and a different friend of mine have all red and black gear. He kept asking me the same thing over and over. When using a black permanent marker over the colored sections, it looked cheesy, but he found a special type of paint marker at a craft store (designed for cordura) and it worked GREAT. It isn't flaky. The colors are bold (all red and black now). The sun hasn't faded it. It doesn't rub off. As many have said, if you ask a rigger or an old timer they're going to tell you no. In fact, I would have never considered something like this until I saw the results. I would check into it if you want to save some money. The colors haven't faded at all in about 9 months of steady jumping and it only cost him 10 bucks!

Matt

It was some type of art supply store where you get canvas and paint and thinks. It's made by sharpie. Some type of paint marker they maker. You have to shake it a lot before you use it. They're like 5 bucks a piece. They don't produce the purpilish glare that regular sharpies do. He only used one coat. The store is a local store, so the name wouldn't really help you.

As many have said, if you ask a rigger or an old timer they're going to tell you no. In fact, I would have never considered something like this until I saw the results. I would check into it if you want to save some money.

Here is yet another rigger who is going to tell you no.

DIY coloring will not save you money. It reduces the value of your rig to $0.

You will take a chance by always need a, uh, creative rigger to repack your gear. You will not be able to count on selling it, because most riggers will tell prospective buyers to stay away from it. Your conscience will prevent you from foisting it off on some unknowing newbie.

Nylon does not take dye well, which is why tie-dye is such an expensive option. If there is a dye that sticks, many times it sticks because it etches the nylon first. That may be okay for craft-store projects, but why anyone would want to do that to life-support equipment baffles me.

Mark

Hey, I'm not saying I would do it to my own rig. But just curious, do you folks have any examples of real life events that would prove your beliefs? Maybe this is perfectly safe? 9 months everything has been great. No deterioration of the material at all. It worked great. I guess time will tell. Trial and error.

Lets also consider the fact that this jumper is only wanting to color a small area that has a slight scuff. I wouldn't encourage him to color the whole freaking rig. I still think my friend took a risk at damaging the material (for the same reason that you folks would advise against it). But once again, time will tell. So far so good.

Would you agree that as a rigger, you would have no problem with a DIY patch applied to the main closing flap?

Would you agree that as a rigger, you would have no problem with a DIY patch applied to the main closing flap?

Not necessarily.

Repairs do not have to be recorded on the data card, so many times I have no way of knowing if a repair was done by a rigger or no. If the DIY patch was nicely done, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.

However, if a rig with my name on the data card leaves my loft, then I have assumed responsibility for the repair; I have agreed the rig is airworthy.

Mark

speaking from my own view point as master rigger,i would not repack a gear where a person has tried to use a sharpie or tie-dyed there gear.the main reason is i would not know what chemicals are in the substance being used.and it is possible that it could interfere with the TSO label on it.some substances can be very corrosive and weaken the material.
i have come across this twice where someone tried to tie-dye there own gear,i send it back to the manufacture on both cases,and the manufacturer actually cut of the TSO label on it and grounded the rig.and in one of the cases the guy did it with the reserve inside and when i inspected it,there was stains all over the reserve.again i send it back to PD an they also grounded it.
the best option if you want o get ride of the scuff mark is to replace the main flap,this could be done by any master rigger,or if you are in florida i would send it back to wings.they do have an excellent customer service there.
my guess it would be around $60-100 tops.but that is what i wouls charge.
blue skies

I would check into it if you want to save some money. The colors haven't faded at all in about 9 months of steady jumping and it only cost him 10 bucks!

Matt

Reminds me of a lesson my father taught me a long time ago. Father asks "Hey J, why dont you where your helmet on takeoff?"
J "Hey dad its too hot!"
Father " Ok I just wanted to know what you thought your life was worth when this plane crashes on takeoff."
He jumped for 41 years starting in 1959. I now where my helmet on every takeoff.

If you can imagine it happening in skydiving...it can...

Hmmm? $10 to change a color on my rig that might eat up the fabric..... Well probably doesnt matter anyway if it was already faded....we all know the value of faded fabric.

Skydiving equipment is not the place to "cheat".

Be safe.

Why won't riggers pack it? Where is the logic behind that? I'm not trying to be arguementative, I'm just curious. I would like to know.

The reason is that we don't KNOW the long term effects of the treatment. Lack of proof that there will be a problem is not sufficient to convince me that there is no long term ill effect. If I am going to be wrong, I know which way I want my error to be--on the safe side.

Anyone reading this thread should pay close attention to what the riggers are saying....

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Maybe this is perfectly safe? 9 months everything has been great. No deterioration of the material at all. It worked great. I guess time will tell. Trial and error.

And maybe it is perfectly safe! The thing is, "Maybe" isn't enough to convince riggers and prospective buyers. Thankfully.

I seriously hope your words don't come back to haunt you