floridadiver81

Opinions on this set up?

ALright..i plan on running this kind of rig...your opinions from experiance are appreciated!

Javelin J4 Container=DOM 97
PD 218 7 cell Main=DOM 94(200 jumps)
Raven II 218 Reserve=No reserve rides, not sure of DOM

What do you think? Pros? Cons?
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

When thinking about gear as a new student, it's best to think about personal items 1st. Putting someone else's sweaty, ratty helmet on is no fun. Same with goggles. Having your own alti is nice too.

I think the gear's not right for you. Non - ZP canopies don't handle well at all beyond wing loadings of 1.0, and the "200 dives" I think you can take with a grain of salt. You will be loading both the main and reserve beyond 1.0 wing load.

Read some of the reviews and see if they have the Raven 2 in there. Thing is about reserves is that everyone who has been saved by one thinks theirs is the best. I've had over 20 reserve rides, and all reserves are not created equal. If memory serves - the Raven 2 has a very abrupt stall point. This is common with non ZP canopies (which all reserves are) but by comparison to some other reserves the sweet spot is tiny. Very tiny. DOM is also important - as reserves tend to have a shelf life.

I'm not a fan of Javlins, favouring a completely covered reserve PC. I also see you want to freefly in your profile.. and older Jav's don't do that very well.

The important thing to realise is that you're looking for gear. Read a lot. Listen to many different people. Ask why they like or don't like something. Beware those who push only what they jump. There is a lot of very good gear out there these days. What's best for them may not be best for you.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me anytime.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I agree with the personal items comment. Personally I'm not in any kind of position experience wise to start making decisions about a harness or canopy or reserve. I know what the guys at my DZ are flying, but the only experience I have is with student rigs. Until such a time that I can begin to tell the subtle differences between the way canopies fly, I'm not even going to attempt to guess which rig is best suited for me.

As mentioned before though, ask people at your DZ that can see the way you fly and have some experience in the matter.

Also, I found it interesting when Tonto mentioned that some rigs dont fleefly well. Does that also mean that there are rigs that lend themselves more towards relative work? Or camera flying?
Between the sadness and the smile, lies the flicker of the fire. You always said this never hurt you, I always said you were a liar.

Also, I found it interesting when Tonto mentioned that some rigs dont fleefly well. Does that also mean that there are rigs that lend themselves more towards relative work? Or camera flying?

No, just that with some rigs it is best if you only belly fly since they have poor riser and pin protection, they weren't made for the higher speeds and the angles you fly at. Examples of non-freefly-proof rigs are most older rigs, notably vector II as these come up in the classifieds a lot. All brand new rigs (at least of the major brands) are freefly-proof nowadays.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't think it's that specific.

I think jumping a rig that was designed before freeflying was as main stream as it is now may mean that pin or riser protection is less complete than rigs designed with that in mind.

There are no "bad" rigs out there, but the possibility does exist that you may be paying for features you may never need - or be paying less for something when a little more may be a bit more comfortable or better suited to your style.

Some people really like stainless. I've been jumping over 20 years, and dispite a season in the Carribean, no hardware rusted.
Stainlesses "slippery" qualities increased cutaway forces and required serious redesign of legstrap hardwear. Articulation means many are now buying harnesses "that move with you" and then tying the leg straps together with bungy to stop the rig "moving with you." Articulation can also make the harness do *very* odd things in a High G spinning mal. Me? I'm probably old school - but I like a regular harness. I know I'm outnumbered and I'm fine with that.

Mains are like cars. What are you going to use them for? CRW? General commute back from the dive? Accuracy? Swooping?

Reserves are pretty simple. Make sure it's big enough for you to land safely if you're unconcious and injured if you have an AAD. if you don't have an AAD, make sure it can put you down safe - anywhere - if you're injured. No one I know ever wished they had a smaller reserve as the rings clinked.

All this stuff is just rambling opinion. YMMV.

t
It's the year of the Pig.