Unstable

Help Needed - Piglet Diaper

Hi everybody -
I'm sure a lot you might remember the old "Piglet" - the old shortened PC-style canopy from yesteryears.
I know the diaper is kinda different from what I'm used to - and so I am looking for some information on the piglet and it's diaper system. I've done my searches, but so far, no luck. does anybody know where to go to find some information ont the piglet - or maybe just explain to me how the diaper is any different?
Does anybody have a picture of the diaper!?! It would be a tremendous help!! :)
=========Shaun ==========

I wouldn't call it a PC style canopy. It was an advance round though. It used lo porosity fabric, had skirt extensions, but it didn't have a pulled-down apex (like a PC). The diaper was pretty standard as diapers go, although I don't have a photo for you. Basically you folded the base of the canopy up, wrapped the diaper around it, and stowed the lines on the diaper. So during deployment the lines unstowed, then the two locking stows (just like on a modern deployment bag) opened and allowed the diaper to open up, exposing the skirt of the canopy to the air.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I did a couple hundred jumps on my Piglet back in the day.

When you say the diaper is different from what you are used to, I think you mean the
Piglet is a "full stow" diaper and the diapers used on most round reserve canopies were "half stow" diapers.

In the half stow diapers only one left or right side group of lines is "stowed" in the diaper and usually with just a single bight.

In the full stow diaper both the left and right line groups are stowed and the lines are put into stow bands all the way to the connector links.

If you want, you can pick up the phone and call California City Skydiving and ask for Hank Asciutto (A-shoot-o) as he invented the Piglet system and he'd be glad to help you.

NickD :)BASE 194

Thanks for the help - I looked in Poynters and found the instructions for the Strong system - I heard that was a pretty similiar system.
Wow - this thread is awsome - nobody under 1000 jumps except for myself!

The reason I am looking this up, is next week I go in for my practical for a seat/back senior rigger ticket - and the examiner told me on the phone to familiarize myself with that system - just doing my homework - thanks everybody!

I am surprised that your coach/mentor/rigger instructor did not mention all three types of diapers during the training leading up to your FAA Senior Rigger test.
You need to demand additional instruction or a refund.

Start of lecture ....

There are five reserve deployment methods.

Type 1 - all lines stowed in pack tray

Type 2 - left line group stowed in two rubber bands on diaper. All the rest of the lines are stowed in the pack tray.

Type 3 - Piglet/Phantom/SAC diaper with all lines stowed horizontally on diaper.

Type 4 - all lines stowed vertically on diaper

Type 5 - free-bag locked closed with two or four bights and the rest of the lines in a pocket (sewn to free-bag).

Yes, the FAA's system of certifying riggers is complicated and antiquated, but if you are asking to be licensed to repack all types of BACK containers and all types (round and square) of reserve canopies, you should be familiar with all five types of deployment devices.

There are five reserve deployment methods.

I've seen this listing in the Parachute Rigger Handbook, so I guess it's official now.

IIRC, this taxonomy was invented by John Sherman to describe how to orient the lines/diaper/canopy in a Racer. I don't know any other reason to make a distinction between Type 3 (horizontal stows) and Type 4 (vertical stows). In fact, Types 2, 3, 4, and 5 could be collapsed into one category, let's call it "lines-first deployment," as opposed to Type 1, which we could call "canopy-first deployment."

What kind of deployment is Reuter-wrap? Frap-strap? Tail pocket?

Mark

a reuter wrap was a piece of elastic that wraped around all the suspension lines about a foot below the skirt band.one end had a metal fitting on it and the other end had a loop sewn in the elastic. the idea was to wrap the elastic around all the lines then insert the loop end of the elastic thru the metal fitting.a straight steel pin was then inserted in the loop keeping the elastic wrapped around the lines.the pin was attched to either the left or right steering line and was set up so that at line stretch, the pin would pull out and allow the wrap to free the lines.the canopy would then open.used primarily to prevent canopy inversions due to out of sequence deployments on pioneer tri conical canopies.

Hi sprtdth,

Don't know about a Reuter-wrap,

I'll take a guess (and look 'stoopiddd' if I'm wrong). Since Jim Reuter worked for Pioneer I am thinking it was the little pin/tape-wraparound thingy that kept the lines wrapped at the skirt on a 23 ft TriConical until the lines were taut, or something like that. Been a long time since I've seen one; the last time was in Japan in '77.

The pin is/was the same pin as used in a pull-out pilot chute system.

Anyone else?????

Jerry

I am surprised that your coach/mentor/rigger instructor did not mention all three types of diapers during the training leading up to your FAA Senior Rigger test.
You need to demand additional instruction or a refund.

I kept asking about this and today we went over all the different types of diaper systems - basically we broke it down into full diapers and half diapers - We worked on some different systems and now I've practiced both types - using the Poynters manuals was a big help, but having it put into "modern" terms was a blessing too - I feel I understand this principle just fine now -:)