Amanda965

Have some ?'s for planning a Hawaii trip

My bf and I both graduate college in March- yea! We are planning a trip right at the beginning of April to Hawaii.

Most likely, I will not be doing skydiving there, so leave the factor of a dz out of the picture.
I would like to know 1.) What island is best to go to and why 2.) Recommendations of a good place to stay 3.) Any other tips or suggestions

Thanks!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

Take your pic. I really liked Kauai. Stayed in rented condos, one trip 9 day stay was in Poip'u . Next trip was within 2 weeks ' had to go back ' feeling. 9 days condo in Princeville at Poli Kai Kua. Old island, hikes, views, freshest air, waterfalls, excellent food especially at the Honalei Dolphin in Hanalei. Whatever you do, go to Barnes and Nobles and look for a book called Kauai Secrets Revealed blue in color, absolute necessity on the trip. There may be similar 'Secrets Revealed' books for the other islands as well. Worth checking out while your planning the trip.

I've only visited one island, but I would go back in a heartbeat. Maui. Breathtaking, simply put. Go up to the top of the world's largest dormant volcano - 10,000+ ft Haleakala and see a crater big enough to swallow all of Manhattan. Take the world famous "World's Longest Downhill Bike Ride" which lasts some 30+ miles, from near the top of the volcano to the beach. Go take the world-famous road to Hana, a 30 mile jaunt from Kahului that takes 2 hours by car, then stop by and swim in the Seven Pools. Really, there's so much to do there. You can also take a blackhawk helicopter tour, which is a must-do! You need at least a week, but 10 days is best, if you have the money. Food is cheap, but lodging is pricey. Attractions can be pricey, depending on what you want to do.

Forgot to add: on a clear day, from the top of Haleakala, you can see the twin peaks of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the big island some 40-50 miles away. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

10,000+ ft Haleakala and see a crater big enough to swallow all of Manhattan.
~Dress WARM!

Take the world famous "World's Longest Downhill Bike Ride" which lasts some 30+ miles, from near the top of the volcano to the beach.
~Bring camera!

Go take the world-famous road to Hana, a 30 mile jaunt from Kahului that takes 2 hours by car,
~Look close and see Limbergs grave....

then stop by and swim in the Seven Pools.
~NAKED!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just got home from Maui yesterday actually. Still adjusting to Colorado time... :S

But a few things: definitely spend some $$$ on a plane helicopter ride around the island. It is unbelievable. Also, for a GREAT book on must see places, get "Maui Revealed-The Ultimate Guidebook." This will not lead you to your standard tourist locations, this will take you on a windy road near a cliff far from civilization where a lady is selling the best banana bread in the world, and that's no joke.

The book is worth buying for ONE thing, the olivine pools. It is simply the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen and I've traveled just about everywhere! It's like this completely secluded small bay where wind and water has eroded into the rock cliff face and there are these pools you can swim in that are warm from the sun and no one is ever there... Seriously, words can't describe it and when you see it, you will know why you owe me big time. ;)

I attached some pictures of my visit. If you look closely, those two little dots in the pool at the top right of the olivine pools pic is my brother and I. That will give you an idea of how big those pools are that you can swim around in.

Also, the last pic is not actually one I took, but I wish it was! :D

Hey. My sis and I are going to Oahu for our 21st birthday. We'll be there March 28th thru April 5th.
Maybe we'll seeya there!! Look for drunk twins.

My 3rd time to Oahu...not sure where your going, but wherever it is, make sure and go scuba diving or snork. The fish and things you see underwater look like un-real.

You'll love wherever you go and whatever you do...cuz Hawaii just is the best place ever!

Cool, Im going to Maui for 10 days in February. I will check some of thoughs things out. I am going to jump islands for a day and skydive though. I hope its not to windy.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

You visitors to Maui left out the really cool stuff! Painted junk cars and appliances laying all over the place. Cane field burns. When first lit, they look like tactical nukes (nice mushroom clouds). I live in upcountry Maui and work at the airport. Nice island but no dropzone!!!B|B|B|

Lucky you! Even though I just got back from Maui, I'm jealous!
[sorry this is so long—but it is all fresh in my head!!]
Sorry for the delay in replying, but I was in Vermont for the weekend boarding. Well attempting to in the rain…
Anyway, so Sporto and I were in Maui over Christmas. What a beautiful island!! Our first choice was actually Kauai because we had heard such wonderful things about it, but we couldn’t get the timeshare for the time we wanted, so we went to Maui. We definitely plan to go back, there is so much that we did and so much more that we wanted to do.
We stayed on Ka’anapali Beach on West Maui, the rest of our group stayed at Ka’anapali Beach Hotel. http://www.kbhmaui.com/ It was a fantastic hotel, I actually liked the beach over at their hotel better because the waves were bigger. Their hotel had a free nightly Hawaiian Hula Show, we spent practically every evening there watching them, they put on a great show with hula dancers. They also turned down your bed every night and gave you a macadamia nut cookie, and when you leave, they giving you a little going away party. It also seems that most hotels will give you one free breakfast in which they give you an orientation of the island, they let you know some of the tips of the island and places to definitely go see.
Some activities that we did: --we went on a snorkeling trip to Molikini http://www.molokini.us/ which is an extinct volcanoe. We paid about $85.00 and they gave you breakfast, lunch, complimentary drinks, supplied everything you need to snorkel including wetsuits and we also went over to turtle valley and swam with some turtles. There are a ton of charters who do this, some were cheaper then what we paid, but I wasn’t sure if it was one of those you get what you pay for situations. Our charter was great. --We went SCUBA diving. Our hotel offered an hour course right on site, then once you pass the pool portion, we just walked out onto the beach and went SCUBA diving. It was an incredible time, got some great photos of us swimming with some turtles, and the fish are just beautiful. I plan to get SCUBA certified in the spring so we don’t have to stick with the instructor led dives next time. --We took a drive up around the North part of the island, very beautiful. We decided against the road to Hana just because we didn’t want to be in a car for hours, and the same with going up to the top of Haleakala. –We went to Oahu for the day to goto Pearl Harbor and see the island, that was a fantastic day trip. –We did some shopping in Whalers Village and Lahaina Town on Maui. It was prime whale season too while we were there so we would see them right outside our hotel every morning, on our trip to Molokini, we saw one breaching, Sporto caught a photo of it too! I’d say the one thing I didn’t get to do is go surfing, we just ran out of time. And boy does Maui have some impressive waves.
So some tips that we learned:
--rent a convertible, there is so much to see you miss it in a car
--go buy a snorkel before you get there, they do rent them, but they run out quick and there is so much beautiful sea life to see under the water
--buy those aqua shoe things, all of the swimming beaches are sandy, but if you go off to snorkel somewhere, the aqua shoes will come in handy to walk around on the rocks underwater and getting to some places.
--it is EXPENSIVE, we spent $1500 on food and drink alone for two people. A solo size cup of fruity drink is $7.00. So be sure you are prepared and that money is not an issue.

If you decide on Maui, let me know, I have a ton of brochures and can tell you some more tips.

***Cool, Im going to Maui for 10 days in February. I will check some of thoughs things out. I am going to jump islands for a day and skydive though. I hope its not to windy.

I am gonna go for 12 days in february too...
But have no clue about what to see..still have to plan my trip, want to see more than the DZ's....

sent you a PM with some info and pics on Kauai and Oahu from this past june. check them out. I'd recommend a few dayas in Kauai. You can do the island in two full days (N road one day and S the other), but you'd prob want 4-5 to experience more and not rush.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

STAY OFF OF OAHU! Its a dirty shit hole filled with meth heads that will steal any thing that isn't nailed down. I used to live there for a little of 03-04 (waialua). The only thing Worth a damn is the dropzones on the north shore. just to give you an idea of island life pineapples cost less six timezones away than at the store not even two miles from the place were they were grown! But the skydiving was awesome! Daimond head isn't shit compared to jumping out there. You MUST jump while you are there .

My two cents worth: if you're only going to one island, go to Maui. There's plenty to see on the others. Kauai is spectacular, there's an active volcano on the Big Island, etc., so see as much as you can, but Maui will keep you busy for a week, or you can just relax and not be busy at all. If you do go to Maui, the Old Lahaina Luau is one of the best in the islands, but you need to make reservations a couple of weeks in advance. This thread has lots of good info. You can probably tell by reading it that there's more to see and do than you'll have time for in one trip.

Maui is so beautiful! Everyone is SO nice. Food is outstanding! AND LOTS TO DO! You must stay at the Grand Wailea! And you MUST, MUST go to the Spa Grande! The best spa in the WORLD!!!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Random this resurfaced! I went last April and had a blast- went to Kauai and ouir time was very filled with lots of great things to do for the one week we were there. FOr whoever else looking, I am sure that anywhere in Hawaii is great, it is just such a beautiful place!!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~