BrianSGermain

Brian Germain's Book Subtitle

but I had it professionally edited.

:)
I had the pleasure of reading this book at a very close, very detailed pace and I have to say that it is my all time favorite book. It is easy to understand, thought provoking, and progressive. It is one of those life changing books that you read and know that you will keep in your collection forever.

I can't tell you how many times I've found myself repeating lines from the book when trying to calm down and solve a risky situation.

Thanks Bri! I miss you and love ya!

Hugs,

Kel

Oh yeah. I too love "Relax, Focus, and Flow." I often say that to myself.

the 2nd option.

Although i like "Overcoming" better than "Battling" as well..

Rush Fan?

Things crawl in the darkness
That imagination spins
Needles at your nerve ends
Crawl like spiders on your skin

Pounding in your temples
And a surge of adrenaline
Every muscle tense to fence the enemy within

[Chorus:]
I'm not giving in to security under pressure
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams
Experience to extremes
Experience to extremes...

Suspicious looking stranger
Flashes you a dangerous grin
Shadows across your window...
Was it only trees in the wind?

Every breath a static charge,
A tongue that tastes like tin
Steely-eyed outside to hide the enemy within

To you, is it movement or is it action?
Is it contact or just reaction?
And you...revolution or just resistance?
Is it living, or just existence?
Yeah, you! It takes a little more persistence
To get up and go the distance

Love the Book btw.. glad to see it getting a 2nd edition and some proof reading.. there were a few typos (one was really funny but i cant recall why) i've given away both my copies so will have to get more...B|

I would choose option 1. Your other choice goes against one's path to wholeness : you accept the enemy as part of your being, explore what's inside you, it's trying to teach you something. Never battle with yourself-it's not good for you. Thanks for the past references to meditation. I non-do everyday. CRW Skies,April

"I had the pleasure of reading this book at a very close, very detailed pace and I have to say that it is my all time favorite book. It is easy to understand, thought provoking, and progressive. It is one of those life changing books that you read and know that you will keep in your collection forever.

I can't tell you how many times I've found myself repeating lines from the book when trying to calm down and solve a risky situation."

That comment changed my whole perspective on life.

Thank you.

Bri
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Hey Brian -

Option 1 helps support the content of the book, and I think it gives a prospective reader a fair idea of what's coming. If you are using the same photo as the edition I have (you, over the ocean?), Option 1 supports that more appropriately than #2.

Great book, by the way; glad to hear you've got yourself a good editor - your work deserves it!

Chris
T.I.N.S.

#1 Seems a bit soft...

#2 Why battle?

instead I pose the following....

#3 Rising above the Beyond

I offer this up to the public domain...

ADDED:
What about
#4 One step Ahead (staying one step ahead?)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

First, great book. It helped me to succeed on my second attempt at AFF.

As a jumper I prefer #1, but if you are trying to reach wuffos, I think #2 is better . Why? Because I think the average ground-clinging wuff is more familiar/comfortable with the idea of "battling" than "flowing".

First, great book. It helped me to succeed on my second attempt at AFF.

As a jumper I prefer #1, but if you are trying to reach wuffos, I think #2 is better . Why? Because I think the average ground-clinging wuff is more familiar/comfortable with the idea of "battling" than "flowing".

Well said. One has to remember who their target audience is, not the ones who are already on their side.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Definately #1! Especially if you see it in context with "Transcending Fear"

Relax conveys calming down, which excludes the feeling of fear.
Focus sounds more like working on and developing yourself to achieve something rather than battling your "self" which sounds kinda negative.
Flow is what you want in the end.

I think this is the best option because you are summarizing the path described in the book - along with the method and the goal - in 3 words that are not easily forgotten and can also serve as an anchor when you get freaked and want to calm down.

Other than that from a marketing p.o.v. title #1 sounds more like the book teaches confidence and control rather than battling yourself.

To clarify: What would you rather do? Relax focus and flow or battle? (does battling usually mean winning or losing to your target group?)

Hope I could help,

Cya this year in Germany..

Mike

Btw. Thanks for your book tip! (Flow by M.C.) :)

I prefer Relax, Focus, and Flow. It's what the book is about and has a positive sound to it that should appeal to skydivers and other action sporty types.

Battling the enemy within might be true, but it sounds like anything from alcoholism to credit card debt or (shudder) nymphomania.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I prefer Relax, Focus, and Flow. It's what the book is about and has a positive sound to it that should appeal to skydivers and other action sporty types.

Battling the enemy within might be true, but it sounds like anything from alcoholism to credit card debt or (shudder) nymphomania.

the reason i dislike "relax, focus, flow" is that is a far to simplistic summary of the work and ideas.. if it is that easy, why do i need to read the book? I've already learned everything i need to know from the subtitle..:S

does everyone remember all the 'just feel it' coaching advice from early freefliers? was that advice REALLY that helpful for someone who was struggling to learn something difficult? Or did it just come off as arrogant?

Option 2. By the way I liked your article in Parachutist. I was thinking of writing in with a little info on how I learned to relax while going through an anxiety/depression problem a number of years ago. I learned to relax to the point that just the word "relax" (my work I used while listening to my relaxation tapes) said to myself calms me down quite a bit right away. I am sure it would help a lot in a tight situation.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

I prefer:

Overcoming the Enemy Within

I agree. I like option 2 but not "battling" (puts it in a negative context). Choose something more positive like overcoming/facing/defeating ... ?

Having said that, the "relax" part of option 1 really helped me the other day when I had a scary canopy situation. I could hear your voice saying:"breathe in ... relax ...." Helped me land without injury!

-Chanti-

What do you folks think of:

Transcending Fear
Conquering the Enemy Within

By the way, I am LOVING the converstations and comments on this topic. Now you know what I do when I am home!

THANK YOU!
+

It is funny to search posts here with the word 'flow"
re:
freaking low flow toilets
go with the flow
dive flow,
fight flight or flow....

also when you google search
"thought destroys flow"
UWF chapter 7- Head Trips
http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~esj/uwf/uwf7.htm

I found it difficult to relate to the meaning of "flow" in relation to skydiving for a long time....it wasn't until I read about it in a sports related article titled "thought destroys flow."
re:
There is no sense of the self in the period of flow, but what is called a "merging of action and awareness."
The individual is aware of their actions but not aware of their awareness.
Thought destroys flow.
If the second is split so that the player perceives their action from the outside....flow halts.
The person in flow does not stop to evaluate the feedback. The action and reaction have become so well practiced as to be automatic.
re:
The clarity of response that I receive while skydiving offers fast and direct feedback. There is no sense of myself in the period of flow, but merging of action and awareness. My body receives a sense of ecstasy associated with the most intense moments of flow.... My skydiving developed when action and reaction became so well practiced it was automatic.
I was able to leave the aircraft and fly....without thought of how to do it.

My vote:

Option One: Relax, Focus and Flow

I do not perceive "flow" as "battling the enemy within"

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I definitely prefer this over "Battling".

Personally, I still prefer RFF, but this is close. I think for most people, though, CTEW would be more marketable to most people, but I like the Taoist feel behind RFF.
This ad space for sale.

another reason i believe that "Conquering the Enemy Within" is better for the target audience..

with the exception of a few dedicated types how many of your expected readers have already delved deeply into such Taoist thoughts and concepts?

by way of example if i were to say

"the moon; the cold stream, a mirror"

who would 'get it' right away? at least enough to want to pick up and perhaps purchase the book?

Simple statements are profound once understood, but generally take YEARS of contemplation and practice to truly grasp and implement as part of a mental training program.

What do you folks think of:

Transcending Fear

That sounds a lot better in my opinion, now I almost can't decide. My gut feeling tells me that "conquerinig the enemy within" has a more positive impact. I think you just found the key word to replace "battling"!

....Yeah, "Conquering the Enemy Within" sets up a better vision of what to expect from the book. As a customer, I would choose a book that tells me how to conquer an enemy within over a book that reinroduces methods (in the subtitle) that I am already partially familiar with.

Nice one! ;)

I am taking last minute votes regarding the subtitle of Transcending Fear, 2nd Edition.

The book goes to print in about a week, so get your vote in right away. To vote, simply reply to this post with one or the other.
(Please, no suggestions beyond the presented options, I have worked very hard to narrow it down).

Option One:

Relax, Focus and Flow

Option Two:

Battling the Enemy Within

Thanks, Everybody!!

Another unconsidered possibility is, I can get rid of the subtitle altogether. Do I really need one anyway?

+