shortyj

help saltwater tanks?

we have a salt water tank and we like it. this is our second tank and there are so many tips and tricks out there.. when someone tells you that it is hard to have they are somewhat correct, but like anything else in life if you put the work into it then it's not that bad.
Do you want a fish tank or a reef tank and the bigger the better for tank size.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Yeah tanks are very rewarding but can take a lot of time.

Are you somewhere will you plan to live for a while? Moving tanks is a pain in the rear and can create a great amount of stress on the inhabitants.

This is one of those threads that can go on and on forever. I had a 55 gallon tank for 2 or 3 years when I was around 20. I don't even want to think about how much money I put in it. I then pieced out the rocks and sold them as well as the equipment.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I was thinking of getting one, does anyone have one and how hard are they to take care of?:S The fish are usually high $$$$ so I want to know how to take care of them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

I worked in a tropical fish store for 5 years or so, with over 250 tanks, salt and fresh. Salt is not any "harder" just more money. Salt water fish, except for a few, are caught live, from the ocean, are more colorful, so, cost more money. Now, being that these fish are taken from the ocean, and essetially put in a closet, some get stressed, and die sooner than they should. Also, although illegal, some catchers use cianide to stun the fish. This damages the digestive tract, and although the fish will eat, it will starve to death.

If you can afford it, go with a "wet/dry" filter system. Basically the water trickles over filter media where bacteria breakdown waste in the water, and amonia gets passed off as a gas. And, on the tank, bigger is always better. And, as with skydiving, maintance is the key to survival. Schedule a day to do it weekly or monthly, depending on tank load and size.

;)

I was thinking of getting one, does anyone have one and how hard are they to take care of?:S The fish are usually high $$$$ so I want to know how to take care of them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

The most important thing about setting up a salt water tank is patience. Don't rush to put fish in it. If you cycle it properly from the beginning, it will be easy to take care of. If you rush it, it will cause you problems forever.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

For a saltwater tank, I would recommend a fish only tank at first. If you haven't had a freshwater tank before then you probably should even try a reef tank/corals. Although reef tanks are mighty neat, you can make a fish only tank cool as well. Depends what you like, aggressive fish like triggers, lionfish, eels or a peaceful tank with clownfish, tangs, etc.

I would recommend a 55 gallon or larger. Smaller tanks fluctuate alot more due to evaporation and less water in general. Expect to start of with some hardy fish at first, maybe 2/3 small ones. You should research the "Ammonia Cycle" and its effects. Then I wouldn't add only add one fish a month or two until you can't add any more/don't want to. Expect to do weekly maintenance and expect to spend 1-2 dollars per gallon for supplies per month. That isn't including fish or the initial price. I would guess that you would spend an hour or 2 every 2 weeks to change 10-25% of the water. You really can't get behind on the maintenence. Don't cheap out on the initial equiptment, you will be sorry. Also, find a GOOD fish store, I don't recommend anything from PetSmart or PetCo just from looking at thier fish.. :S AND RESEARCH before you BUY.

Besides that, it really isn't that hard :ph34r:. PM me if you have questions, I prolly won't follow this thread unless it is on top of the thread list.

Good luck.

Disclaimer: I have worked at a tropical fish store for 4 years and had saltwater tanks from 7-125 gallons. I also realize there is more than one way to skin a cat so you might hear different advice..meh, nothing you can do about that.
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

Jeremy O has some good advice. I also agree with knowing how a tank works, and it the biological cycle. Get some good books, make friends and a small knowledgeble fish store...people at the big chains tend not to be true hobiest at heart. Start with strong fish, like damsels. Read, read, read....learn learn learn.

Little known fact. Instead of cleaning the tank on a regular basis just piss in it. The piss erodes away the bacteria created by the fish and the salt in the tank consumes the urine thus leaving you with a sparkling clear fish tank.

Try it. It works.