SkydiveStMarys

What is your hometown famous for?

Mine used to hold the world record for most bars on one street (56) and still holds the record for the worlds largest six pack...

Clicky!
http://www.worldslargestthings.com/wisconsin/sixpack.htm

La Crosse, WI

Edit to add: Population: approx. 50,000
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Only about 16,000 live in my little hometown, but...

The Grass is Greener here (Scott's Lawn Products).

Lots of Honda and Acura vehicles made a few miles away.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The town I grew up in got known when the Neo-Nazis marched in Skokie. Became a made-for-tv movie. The Blues Brothers made fun of the Chicago Nazis in their movie.

My current home, Sarasota FL, was famous as the winter home of the Ringling Bros Circus since the 1920's. Interestingly, the circus is currently doing a show in Sarasota for the first time since they left town over 50 years ago.....

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I am from a small town in south east Kansas and I guess one of our few claims is that Gordon parks was born and rasied there. and the other notable for the nascar fans is that the bricks in the brick yard are from my town as well.
I think more notable and honorable is that we are home of the 1st national cemetary and I think the only one to have native american soliders from the civil war buried there.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Well the "town" i live in now, (and for the past 35 years)
Rochester N Y is famous for KODAK.....
but my true 'hometown' of Brewster NY is famous for 2 things....
1. That's where jimmytavino and lots of other Tavinos came from ..:S:P:)

2. The Tv show "That Girl" from the 60's and 70's starred Marlo Thomas as Ann Marie and the story line was that She grew Up there.:|
Her tv dad Lou Marie supposedly owned a restaurant in Brewster....which is a one hour train ride North of NYC...

so counting these two things...... It's famous for NOTHING ! hahahahaha..

jimmy from brewster

Glooscap. My home town has claimed him as ours for as long as I can remember.
He is a mythical culture hero, god, and "transformer" of the Algonquian peoples, an Indian of great size and powers. His paper mache statue stands at the park in my home town of about 500 people. He supposedly walked with such great stride that his steps created the Glooscap Trail, hundreds of miles around and about Nova Scotia. He is credited as a creator, a protector of animals and earths father figure. I have no recollection of a time where his huge figure wasn't there, hand outstretched to the sun, birds pooping on his head, kids sitting on his big moccasins eating slurpees.
Wow........what a neat way to start my day with these thoughts in my head.......think I'll call home and say hi.......

It's all Jimmy Buffet's fault.

My little NJ town has an interesting history:

1. Has been around since the 1600's
2. First real copper mines in North America
3. First steam engine constructed here
4. Some of the Revolutionary War was fought here and in surrounding areas
5. Sopranos are filmed here and in surrounding area.

Yes, that is him, in all his glory in the park in my hometown. My mom is Mi'kmaq, her dad was a tribal leader, so I got all of the stories from that side of he family. Mythology is facinating as far as Greek and Roman myths go, but the stories I grew up with are ones that people actually protected and passed on until just a few generations ago. It is really cool.

It's all Jimmy Buffet's fault.

Berlin, Wi was known as "The Fur and Leather Capital" of the state.

N.B.: Do you remember the old Wild Bill Hickock TV show and his sidekick Jingles (played by Andy Devine)? Jingles alwasy wore a fringed buckskin vest -- he had several and they were all handmade by my father in law.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?