miconar

Advice for a Pianist?

Noise-dampening earplugs to reduce the amount of noise reaching your ears from (1) the aircraft engine, and (2) the sound of the wind in freefall. Over time, repeated exposure to each of those noises can take a toll on one's hearing.

I don't tend to use either, although I have a habit of just tilting my full-face helmet up in the plane rather than removing it altogether. Not as effective as earplugs, but it definitely provides some noise attenuation.

I'd be far less inclined to worry about freefall noise: I have my helmet on fully, which gives good protection, and exposure is only a minute per jump compared to 10 - 15 minutes of plane noise. Also, don't earplugs cause you any problems with pressure equalisation? I'd have thought plugging your ears carried similar risks to jumping with the congestion of a head cold.

I've used earplugs for the last 800 jumps or so, from when the airplane is close until landing. No problems, either with ear pressure or communicating with other jumpers.

And my ears aren't ringing at the end of the weekend any more.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)