sunshine

I disected a rat today.

So i have my biology lab on thursday nights and tonights project was to dissect a rat. I cut my rat open and found something that wasn't in the example picture in my lab book. I called my professor over and he said said it appeared she was in her second trimester. She had around 20 little embryos in there. It was way cool.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

So i have my biology lab on thursday nights and tonights project was to dissect a rat. I cut my rat open and found something that wasn't in the example picture in my lab book. I called my professor over and he said said it appeared she was in her second trimester. She had around 20 little embryos in there. It was way cool.

Some people have all the luck. I never got to disect a pregnant rat. :(

Most of the other people in class came over to check it out. I felt special. It was one of the coolest things ever.

Sunny, as a Biologist and Teacher of Biology, I'm curoius can you tell me what you learned from disecting the rat that you could not have learned from a video?
Every year we get kids who are either totally against or for cutting up animals. I dont do it with Rats or Frogs,
I will however diesect, offal from a butcher and fish from a fish monger. ( the fish is filleted then eaten later)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Sunny, as a Biologist and Teacher of Biology, I'm curoius can you tell me what you learned from disecting the rat that you could not have learned from a video?

Don't worry Squeak, we understand that rats being closely related to mice, this could make you very nervous.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

we did pigs...i named mine wilbur:P
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Don't worry Squeak, we understand that rats being closely related to mice, this could make you very nervous.;)

:D:D:D Hadn't thought of that :D:D
But the reason I dont do those disections is that I truely dont believe that you learn anything from it that can not be as easily learned without killing an animal for that sole purpose.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Every year we get kids who are either totally against or for cutting up animals. I dont do it with Rats or Frogs,

I don't think dissecting is necessary in most cases. I'm in school for massage therapy, but Biology 145 & 146 are required for the certification i'm going for. I think a video or simulation would've been just fine. They purposely "grow" these rats just for dissecting and i think thats wrong. I don't really like rats, but it's still wrong to have killed an innocent rat that was preggers (though it was neat to see).

Next semester i beleive one of my lab assignments is to manipulate the muscles of a live frog and i have BIG problems with that.

Someone in medical school should totally dissect to learn more about internal stuff, but for me...i'll be touching people not cutting them open so i shouldn't have to be doing this stuff.

I have to chime in as a teacher and a scientist.

There is no way you can learn as much about the systems of a frog or rat from passively watching some video as you can by seeing, touching, feeling, smelling.....

As a student I gained a true appreciation for the amazing things my body can do by cutting open other creatures.

As a teacher, I had my middle school science students dissect bananas, earthworms, planaria, and frogs. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

There is no way you can learn as much about the systems of a frog or rat from passively watching some video as you can by seeing, touching, feeling, smelling.....

As a student I gained a true appreciation for the amazing things my body can do by cutting open other creatures.

As a teacher, I had my middle school science students dissect bananas, earthworms, planaria, and frogs. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Well thankfuly the world revolves around difference:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have an upstairs neighbor whom I'll volunteer for dissection!:D:D

Walt

If you have a job with health insurance for a wife, hell yeah i'll marry you.
------------------------------------------------
Just him, or is this an open offer?

Open offer. :)

Most of the other people in class came over to check it out. I felt special. It was one of the coolest things ever.

I will however diesect, offal from a butcher and fish from a fish monger. ( the fish is filleted then eaten later)

When i did my bit to chop up rats there was one student who was against chopping animals but had to do it as she needed the marks.

Th hillarious thing was that out of all the students, it had to have been her rat that hadn't been gassed to death properly and came 'alive' as she started nailing it to the board. :o

Needles to say, she fainted straight away.:ph34r:

Never forget that Murphy is always lurking in the shadows!! B|