MrFreefall383

Anyone been a cop?

I ask because I've been heavily researching the job with Washington DC-Metro. It has to be there because my future career plans have their root firmly in the nation's capital. As for the job, I've asked literally dozens of questions of the recruiting office, researched the website to the point where I could almost recite it in my sleep, and tried asking some questions of a duty officer at the training academy, although that didn't net any noticeable gains in my knowledge.

Now I need opinions and viewpoints of people who have been officers before, and could shed light on what the job's actually like. Specifically, I'd love to know what part is boredom, and what percentage is sheer fucking terror and adrenaline. Also, benefits and drawbacks to working as a police officer, whether as a career or as a short-term booster into another job.

Anyway, enough yattering by me. If anyone has experience and input that would be of value to me, please send it this way.

Thanks,

Dave
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I was once a cop, until I shot an unarmed man during a robbery. I failed the post psychiatric testing that is SOP after events such as this. I still have not fully recovered from the event.

Now, you will find me either drinking from a whiskey bottle, posting on dropzone.com, or curled up in the fetal position in the corner of my room sucking on my thumb. Sometimes, on good days, I am able to do all three at once.

Think it through brother, think it through. :|

Every Tuesday. Miss "Jones" pays well to be arrested for indecent exposure, or , like last week, disorderly conduct.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I too am interested in law enforcement and have been doing my research. The main thing I have to do is answer the question....why do I want to be a cop? Because its freakin dangerous. How many times am I gonna have to shit my pants approaching a vehicle at night during a pullover before I decide its not worth it?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Might be an interesting social experiment to see how long it takes you to go from wanting to do your civic duty will all best intentions to mindless revenue generation drone that most cops (in my experience) end up turning into.

I know quite a few cops. Quite a few that have been cops for 15-25 years and that want nothing more then to stay on patrol. They all have a really strong sense of civic duty still. They don't like seeing people write 50 tickets, but they'd like to see someone make a couple of really solid arrests. A "solid" arrest is one that takes a drug dealer off the streets, a family violence arrest, a burglar, etc.

I think that the "generatrion drone" syndrome you're dealing with is simply due to the only reason why you deal with a cop is when you're doing 15mph over.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think that the "generatrion drone" syndrome you're dealing with is simply due to the only reason why you deal with a cop is when you're doing 15mph over.

Interesting how what segment of any community you interact with can color your perception of the whole community. And if you don't interact with a community at all, then what you read about them in the newspapers :S can color what you think of them.

A neighbor and good friend was a cop; he patrolled in a bad neighborhood, where a lot of the people he interacted with were likely to be guilty of what they were accused of. It was hard for him not to assume that everyone he dealt was wasn't guilty, really hard. Because, well, in his experience, most of them were.

He was also a really good guy who wanted to stay on the streets, and fought his reassignment to IAD tooth and nail. He particularly liked riding with and training rookies. We liked having his cop car in the driveway :ph34r:, but now he's moved.

To the original poster: There are a number of cops here. AggieDave is one, Scoop just went into a community liaison job from full-time copping, and I'm not sure who else, but I know they're out there. Keep asking -- knowing what you're getting into is definitely the way to go.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was a cop for 5 years. LOVED every bit of it. I still would like to get back into it. I jumped ship cuz they don't pay well enough. Depends where you are, of course. I was making 35K a year as a cop. I decided to stay full time Nuclear Med and make 95K a year. I am ready to go back and be a cop at least Part time just to keep my feet wet. Nothing like making solid arrests. Remember, patrol can and definitely will lead up to something HUGE while on a "routine" traffic stop. We, the older guys, always looked down on the younger rookies who only wanted to give out traffic citations. I only gave citations to somebody who had an attitude, or, was doing something really stupid...like 86mph in a 25mph zone. I lived for the big bust. Loved "protecting" little kids and the elderly. I'll be back again someday, but I can't conceivably cut down my paychecks by 2/3. Although most cops don't do it for the money, when I had the choice to take home $900 every 2 weeks vs. $2500 every two weeks, common sense kicked in. Good luck in your endeavours. You will LOVE the job. Just remember, treat people the way you want to be treated. Don't lose your cool. Don't be badge heavy. and ALWAYS make it a point to go home to your family every night.
Johnny
"Better to be tried by 12, then carried by 6"

Do you have family that you've discussed it with? I mean ultimately you gotta do what makes you happy, but remember it is dangerous. My sister was a cop and i can say getting a phone call at 4:30am and being informed my sister was dead....well you don't really get over that shit.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have been a cop for 11 years now and its a good job but its not for everyone. The excitement vs boredom is going to depend entirely on where you work. You might see if your prospective Police Dept has a ride along program, that way you can see first hand what its going to be like. Keep in mind larger departments have more specialty units. Road Patrol is fun at first but it gets old after a while. Luckily I haven't had to wear a uniform or answer a call in five years.B|
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I'm not sure what DC-Metro pays but I CAN tell you there are A LOT of other options in the DC area. The rule of thumb is........the Feds pay more. Look into Secret Service Uniformed division, CIA protection officers, Capital Police. There's probably 1000 more out there but those are 3 VERY good options. Also remember that when looking at those fed jobs realize that the base salary is MUCH lower than what you will actually make. My first year as an Air Marshal my base pay was $36,400. However......add on 12% cost of living and 25% LEAP (Law Enforcement Availability Pay) and I took home $52,000 plus. The raises for the next couple years bumped it to around 90K. IF I had stayed. I left after being promoted to the top pay band for one whole day. :D Just my 2 cents. I don't know how some of the guys survived on what they made as local cops. [:/] I'm not greedy but $27,000 a year as a local cop doesn't buy you many options in life. [:/]

I ask because I've been heavily researching the job with Washington DC-Metro. It has to be there because my future career plans have their root firmly in the nation's capital. As for the job, I've asked literally dozens of questions of the recruiting office, researched the website to the point where I could almost recite it in my sleep, and tried asking some questions of a duty officer at the training academy, although that didn't net any noticeable gains in my knowledge.

Now I need opinions and viewpoints of people who have been officers before, and could shed light on what the job's actually like. Specifically, I'd love to know what part is boredom, and what percentage is sheer fucking terror and adrenaline. Also, benefits and drawbacks to working as a police officer, whether as a career or as a short-term booster into another job.

Anyway, enough yattering by me. If anyone has experience and input that would be of value to me, please send it this way.

I hang out with alot of cops on a regular basis. As our firehouse it attached to the doughnut factory. THEY are not the happiest people over there at times. You deal with shitheads on a very regular basis, everyone lies to you, you get spit on, shit on, You can't chase people down as if they get hurt they can sue you, you can't deliver the ass whooping they may or may not deserve cause they will sue you, you can't shoot someone cause even if your right you are always wrong and were too brutal...it goes on and on and on...

These are alot of the reasons why we have 6 of our cops that are now taking the paramedic classes on the side so they can shift over to the Fire Department. THAT is where all the fun is. And 99% of the people love us all the time.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Your right and its partly why I'm doing this community job now. Rather than dealing with the lowlife 5% of the population I will be dealing with decent people on a daily basis too. Sometimes its hard to remind yourself that the world is generally a decent place when all you associate with is crap. But then the police have a good councilling & welfare department :D

As other folk have said do some ride alongs, get to know some of the local cops till they'll really talk to you to get a better idea of what it's about.
Next decision is find a dept that you can trust/respect- will they back you up in a politically sensitive situation? Or throw you out to the wolves?
Are they too politically correct? eg; Do they give all the patrol officers rifles in the cars? Or only to field supervisors and then only after the North Hollywood bank robbery? (LAPD)
Also look at larger depts. A lot more divisons to try.
Gettin burned out on Jerry Springer calls on patrol? You can put in for transfer to something else totally different.
Work CAC (Crimes against children) too long to where whenever you see a santa claus in the mall at Christmas you can't help but think there's probably another child molester? Then you can move again.....
Just some more food for thought for you.