iluvtofly

biggest computer monitor ever?

ok...i'm jealous. my roommate just came home with a 42" flat panel lcd tv. he decided it would be best put to use as a computer monitor in his room. :( i wish it was in the living room but oh well. has anyone ever seen a bigger computer monitor?

Note: picture attached

What kind of resolution can you get ?

I recently bought a Westinghouse LVM-37W3 37" 1080 monitor. On a whim I tried plugging my MacBook into it. The Mac recognized it and sent a 1920x1080 display to it. It looked so good I was almost tempted to buy another one to use as a computer monitor. The MacBook specs don't even mention it being able to do a 1920x1080 resolution, (they only list 1920x1200).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm going to be picking up a 720P projetor in the next few weeks that I'll be hooking a computer up to. Planning on either a 92" or 104" screen right now. :)

720P LCD projector is what I'm using, with 100" screen. It rocks when you're playing Doom, cause the enemies are life size. Movies look great too. Projectors have several advantages over monitors, including portability (2 people aren't needed to lug it up a flight of stairs) and cost (no way to get a 100" monitor for anywhere near $1000 like this projector)

Which one do you have?

I'm looking at either the Mitsubishi HD1000u or the Panasonic AE900u.

My roommate & I bought an InFocus ScreenPlay 5000 about a year ago:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_5000.htm

We chose it because it has a bright lamp, usable in our living room without need for special preparation to block out windows etc

I don't have one that big... but I do have these three to work with... :$

I've had the two on the outside for a few years. I just bought the center display in december.

I've even had ledgit uses for them when I was organizing data the other night from some experiments at work...

yeah... I'm a geek... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

1360x768

The problem is finding a video driver. :(

Friend of mine just went to great lengths to do something similar - after getting a new machine and the right video driver and spending a day to try to configure it, still did not look very good, not nearly as good as a monitor that is not designed to be a TV - to he hooked it up to his dish and it looked GREAT!
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

It does not really count as a monitor, however when I was doing a Microsoft event - they showed the prototype for what you guys call the XBox... But this box was more beefy so it was rendering at very high resolution.

Well, we had a projector capable of a movie theatre screen, but we only blew up the game to 15' wide by 20' tall...

And since it was Microsoft and we were also showing this new OS called "Windows XP" to the customers, we had to have computer level resolution so when they showed the workings of the OS the audience could read the text.

But the biggest screen I have worked with was a 40 foot wide LED wall, and short of imax, skydiving footage never looked so good.

For the debut of the new Sony HVR V1U, which only Norman Kent and I had jumped with (at the time), we had a Sony 4K projector and a 66' screen. It was just like being there. Progressive scan, 24p smooth, sexy as hell. Wait'll you see the NAB booth if you're into that world. Skydiving and HD...

really? you get decent brightness during daylight with 1200 lumens?

With lights off and blinds closed (standard translucent white blinds) it's fine.

wht sort of life to you get from the globes? (in hours?)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

With lights off and blinds closed (standard translucent white blinds) it's fine.

It's rated for 1000 hrs I think. We've put about 250 on it so far. Replacement cost is about $300 last I checked.

It's rated for 1000 hrs I think. We've put about 250 on it so far. Replacement cost is about $300 last I checked.

So you don't use it as your primary source of TV viewing then? 1000hrs isn't very long?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?