alexey

How creative are you - Talon tuning

A "Hot Dog" pilot chute?? ... wonder what kind of free bag it was attatched to / the reserve was in??

Wonder if anyone has shown these pictures to R.I.??

Anyway, a few years back I recall seeing a Jav where some way-ward rigger had packed it like a Vector 2... i.e. the reserve pilot chute / cap was under ALL the flaps on the Jav... :S

Why would someone at Eloy be mad that these pictures surfaced on the web... just currious??

Are we sure the rig is really a Talon and not a knock-off??? ... wasn't Sandy letting some overseas manufacturer build rigs of his design under license, not that woudl be a knock-off, but I wouldn't be surprised if there could be slight differences, not that this is "slight"...

... anyhow, nuff said.

BAD IDEA!
Sandy Reid would have a COW if he saw that!
There are a lot of subtle compatibility issues related to matching pilot chutes to different contianers. Those compatibility factors are only understood by a handful of people (i.e. Bill Booth, Mike Fury, Sandy Reid, John Sherman, etc.) I doubt if most of the manufactures of Javelin clones understand the finer points of pilot chute design, they just make close copies.(Advance Out, Dolphin, Concept, Conquest, Vortex, Wings, etc.).
To quote Sandy Reid: "If you don't understand, you had better copy EXACTLY."

Are we sure the rig is really a Talon and not a knock-off??? ... wasn't Sandy letting some overseas manufacturer build rigs of his design under license,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A long time ago (circa), Rigging Innovations licensed Parachutes Australia to build Talons. Yes, P.A. has made a few changes, but those changes involved lengthy brain-storming sessions between Sandy Reid and Mr. Sobieski before they saw the light of day.
P.A. has always had good quality control, so good that it is difficult to tell the difference between an R.I. Talon and a P.A. Talon at arm's length.
I can only tell the difference by staring at the finer points of stitch patterns ... and I worked at R.I. for three years (1994 to 1997).

Cypres location changed too - to the packtray (as Jav\wings)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BAD IDEA!
As recent problems with Mirage, Vector 3 and Icon have shown, the deeper the Cypres cutter, the more likely that side flaps will hang up on the loop = pilot chute not launching.
Even something as simple as installing a closing loop half an inch too long can totally mess up the container opening sequence.

Those compatibility factors are only understood by a handful of people (i.e. Bill Booth, Mike Fury, Sandy Reid, John Sherman, etc.) I doubt if most of the manufactures of Javelin clones understand the finer points of pilot chute design, they just make close copies.(Advance Out, Dolphin, Concept, Conquest, Vortex, Wings, etc.).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why would the manufacturer of the Dolphin not understand the "finer points" of pilot chute design...Mike Fury is on your "pilot chute privy" list

Cheers,
Travis

P.A. has always had good quality control, so good that it is difficult to tell the difference between an R.I. Talon and a P.A. Talon at arm's length.
I can only tell the difference by staring at the finer points of stitch patterns ... and I worked at R.I. for three years (1994 to 1997).

The lack of a huge TSO warning label doesn't give it away? :P

There are a lot of subtle compatibility issues related to matching pilot chutes to different contianers. Those compatibility factors are only understood by a handful of people (i.e. Bill Booth, Mike Fury, Sandy Reid, John Sherman, etc.) I doubt if most of the manufactures of Javelin clones understand the finer points of pilot chute design, they just make close copies.(Advance Out, Dolphin, Concept, Conquest, Vortex, Wings, etc.).

This must be one of the most non-sensical posts I have ever seen.

Mike (Altico = Dolphin) and Harry (Sunrise = Wings) were the original designers of the Javelin.

Offending other gear maufactures the way you do is a clear sign of your understanding of those "other" designs.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Wow!
Some people are easily offended.
I wrote hose two sentences as two idstinctive sentences about two different topics.
Sorry if you blurred them together.
I never intended to imply that Mike
Fury (co-designer of the original Javelin and current manufacturer of Dolphin containers) and Henry P. (no offense intended, I just never learned how to spell in Finish) (the other co-designer of the original Javelin and now manufacturer of Wings containers) were ignorant of the finer points of pilot chute design.

Rather, I was trying to imply that all the other manufacturers of Javelin clones: Advance Out, Concept, Conquest, Genesis, Vortex, etc. decided to follow Sandy Reid's advice about: "If you don't understand something, copy it exactly."

I could have made a similar statement about all the Vector clones (Infinity, Invader, Naro, Sidewinder, etc.) that chose to use Vector 2 springs in their reserve pilot chutes.

In conclusion, I apologize if I offended you.
My original post was never intended to criticize Mike Fury or Henry P.

And before anyone accuses me of criticizing Ron Dionne ... I have grown to respect that gentleman over the last few years and firmly believe that Ron has forgotten more about parachutes than the next 100 Canadian riggers ever knew.