everymansaved

Vectran Closing loop?

Hey all, I was just thinking about closing loops, and how they tend to stretch and be bothersome over time. Knowing that vectran doesn't shrink or stretch like IIA coreless flatend line, or spectra, I was thinking that it would make great material for closing loops. What does everyone think? I would think that just like my vectran lines on my Safire, you'd want to replace it with the littlest sign of "fuzzing" to prevent spontaneous breakage, but as long as you inspected it every time (not unlike any other pack job) it would be great. Thoughts?

Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Your closing loop shouldn't strethch over time, as you should be pre-stretching it before use. I like using Spectra from old linesets as it wears very well, but would,t bother with new Vectran since it's so oily.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The loops are made of ty 2A because of the elasticity.
This way there is always sufficient tension on the pin.

John.

The closing flaps, are cut on a bias to allow for stretch. The loop should be pre-stretched and to the recommended (by the manufacturer) length.

Chuck

...I was thinking that it would make great material for closing loops. What does everyone think?...

I think you probably couldn't come up with much of a worse material than Vectran for a closing loop. I'd bet that if you made a closing loop from Vectran you'd change it about 4 or 5 times as often as you would a nylon loop. There are many good reasons for using the "gutted 550" nylon sheathing for closing loops. Among them, as mentioned, is because a loop of proper length is tight when your container is closed but will still have some elasticity to allow your pin to release correctly. Also, it's made of a material that passes easily through the grommets. Your comment about being "bothersome over time" is puzzling. I find that a closing loop on my container will last at least a couple of hundred jumps.