strop45

What do you say when people use 45 degree rule or try to get others to use it?

>This '7 seconds is adequate for everything' hypothesis is asking for
>real trouble in a situation with 'very _strong_uppers'.

No one suggested that 7 seconds is adequate for everything.

>I don't believe either rule is correct but i believe the 45 degree rule is
>at least some way close to seeing if horizontal separtaion is achieved.

It's not close. It doesn't work AT ALL. It's like telling a student to flare when he can see the bottoms of his feet.

>Once I travelled abroad I was shocked to find that not only did the
>dropzones I went to not obtain the winds aloft, but they couldn't have
>cared less about them!

Huh. Every time I've asked about them, I've gotten an answer. That answer can vary from:

-Forecast says 20 out of the south
-We're getting almost no push at 8000 feet so probably very little
-Last group said they got a two tenths push to the north

>Local knowledge and experience will never be rivaled by hearsay on the internet.

Ironically, in this case, the "hearsay on the Internet" might just save someone's life - especially if it makes them think twice about listening to a DZO who says "sure, just use the 45 degree rule - works fine for me!"

It's like telling a student to flare when he can see the bottoms of his feet.

thank you, I chuckled, then I looked again and really like it

I will be using this quote and frequently - it's PERFECT

(you know, it's also the same type of thinking that makes people falsely believe that diving a canopy while flying upwind will more readily roll the nose under than when doing down winders :S - I've seen people absolutely insist on it.... [:/] the idea of a 'relative' frame of reference is less easy to understand than I used to think.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(you know, it's also the same type of thinking that makes people falsely believe that diving a canopy while flying upwind will more readily roll the nose under than when doing down winders

Just this weekend, I had someone with 600 jumps saying that with her new helmet, she can't hear the wind change when she face into the wind like she could with her protec.:S:D

That makes sense if she just means looking into the relative wind instead of off to the side or something.

If she said turns upwind onto final then I suspect when she turns, she's just hearing the acceleration from the turn and just isn't aware of it up higher when she turns her canopy in any other direction. She'd be a bit more focused while coming into landing.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That makes sense if she just means looking into the relative wind instead of off to the side or something.

If she said turns upwind onto final then I suspect when she turns, she's just hearing the acceleration from the turn and just isn't aware of it up higher when she turns her canopy in any other direction. She'd be a bit more focused while coming into landing.

I hear what you're saying, but from what she said, she could hear when she was faced into the wind properly. I told her that was a false perception. So did some others. It's an old myth that dies hard sometimes.

yup - personal theories die hard - especially with old timers. fortunately, you caught this one while the jumper is still a pup

The problem is when people who have ten times your experience start explaining it (and generally these are the only people who use it), its hard to argue against the "we'll I've been using it for 25 years and it works"!!!

No amount of explanation or discussion seems to help as you are trying to tell them that they have been wrong for years?

Yep, you could say "just use the Force", and it would be just as successful as the 45-degree "rule".

When I hear it, I tell the young'un to do what they were taught by their instructor and then go talk with their instructor about this 45-degree theory...with the hopes that the REAL instructor will debunk or approve the method. Debunking seems to be the most common result.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)