mbondvegas

Why no more Gelvenor Fabric?

I jump a 98 Triathlon made with the South African ZP "Gelvenor". I never knew how awesome that fabric was.

I am demo'ing a Spectre and just packed it for the first time. Holy crap, that is the slickest piece of snot I have ever stuffed into a d-bag.
I realize that part of the issue is the 300 jumps on my Tri versus this nearly new Spectre, but it is clear that the fabric is the biggest factor. The Tri fabric is almost tacky when pressed against itself and the new ZP is super slippy.

It seems to me that Gelvenor is a much better fabric than standard ZP and now even Aerodyne uses stardard ZP. What's the reason that Gelvenor is no more? Cost?
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

bulk factor, perhaps. And while pretty long lasting, it's not seen as durable as the other stuff before it becomes not quite ZP.

Durability...Hmm? Really? This is based on very little evidence...but I didn't expect it to be a durability or porosity issue...the ease of pushing excess air (during packing) out of the new ZP seemed easier/quicker than through my 8 year old gelvenor fabric.

Bulk...maybe...the 210 Spectre packs only slightly smaller than my 220 Tri.

What about anyone in the industry? Do you know why Gelevenor is no longer used?
- - -
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

The fabric you're referring to is Gelvenor LCN 0286, which was made from a polymer based yarn that is no longer available. The more common "slippery" zp fabric is treated with a silicon process. The advantages of the silicon treatment are that the tear strength is much higher. The disadvantage, other than the difference in packing, is that the silicon process is much more expensive. We just got slammed with about a 15% price increase in cloth price when our only choice for fabric became the silicon zp cloth.
When you ask why "Gelvenor" fabric is no longer available, you're in fact referring to a type of cloth woven by Gelvenor Textiles, but Gelvenor is the textile mill, not a specific type of fabric. My company's canopies will still be made from Gelvenor fabric.

Do you know why it is no longer available?

This is only RUMOR, so take that for what it's worth. Someone suggested to me that it MIGHT have something to do with emissions or air polution from the manufacturing process, and that to comply with new standards would be cost prohibitive. Again, I DID NOT hear this from Gelvenor, so it may be complete b.s.

The fabric you're referring to is Gelvenor LCN 0286, which was made from a polymer based yarn that is no longer available. The more common "slippery" zp fabric is treated with a silicon process.
"
Snip some stuff"

My company's canopies will still be made from Gelvenor fabric.

I am guess your using them for the "slippery" stuff then?? Did your company always use theat or was the previously available fabric used?

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hi, Scott. The Nitro was always made from the traditional Gelvenor (easy packing) zp; that was the only zp parachute cloth they offered until recently. Now the silicon-based cloth is all they make in zp fabric for parachute manufacture. The specs for their cloth are virtually identical to SoarCoat, the long time industry standard from Performance Textiles. We use the South African cloth because of its cost effectiveness.

***it MIGHT have something to do with emissions or air polution from the manufacturing process...

So it might be Al Gore's fault. :o

What isn't? I blaim him for building the internet, which allowed me to find this website, and resulted in me living in a box at the DZ with my laptop. B|:ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P