BillyVance

What's the coldest temperature you've ever seen where you live?

Last week we hit eighteen below zero in Denver. It was colder here than it was in alaska that day!!!

Booger freezin cold!

Cold enough to freeze a load of spit before it hits the ground? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ya, it hit -22F that night at my house west of Castle Rock. I have seen -28F on my thermometer ( YES, MIKE, YOU CAN SEE TEMPERATURE) at my house on rare occasions. I have jumped at Mile High when it was 50 F on the ground and 5 F at 12,500 AGL (about 18,000 MSL). But you aren't up in that real cold air long, and ...it is a dry cold....:)

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I live on top of a mountain (more like top of a hill for those of you who live out west). Anyway, we're used to pretty fierce winds. The coldest I recall has been -20F regular temp and -70F with windchill.:( Right now we're at +5F and with the windchill about -15F.

Inside my house though, a perfect 70F.:)
Chris

I spent the winter in Tuktoyaktuk once. One day I was lying on the ocean working when my superviser brought my parka out. I felt I was warm enough with my insulated coveralls on but he said it was below -55C and I had to wear my parka. The TV people didn't even say "minus." "High today 38, low tonight 46."

Where I live now 19 F. Where I used to live, (Great Falls Montana) mid -50s. Most years, it would get down to between 30 and 40 below for a couple weeks. If your car didn't have a block heater, it would have to be started every couple hours to warm it up. After a season of that, I installed block heater.

The heater core broke one year while I was driving it. My passenger yelled due to the hot water/antifreeze pouring onto his feet. As luck would have it, I had a screw driver handy and bypassed the heater core. (That means no heat to the unmechanically inclined folks). Replacing it meant disassembling almost every part under the dashboard. Old time mechanics understand that one.

Another year my car was broken so I dressed in my ski outfit, minus the skis poles and boots, and rode my bicycle everywhere.

You simply adapt to the environment so it wasn't a big deal. If I recall, that was the same year my mom would stop by my place and leave groceries on my doorstep. :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

How does one see a temperature? Is this one of the sensory compensation things? :D

Blues,
Dave

Goddamn it. I should have been more clear as to the thread title!

Okay all you numbnuts... WHAT'S THE COLDEST TEMPERATURE YOU'VE EVER SEEN ON YOUR GODDAMN THERMOMETER WHERE YOU LIVE?!?!?!?

Happy now??? :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey I have been to Tuk.... drove trhe Richardson one summer for Solstice..Then on to Inuvik Then a short Beaver Ride out to the village. great times...BUT I bet it has changed a bit:)
But it was 24 hours of daylight and 78 degrees when I was there... and friggin BUGS.. ARRRRGGHHHH

But good fishing in the Delta.. I need to go back

Well in that case, I have no idea about the place I live now, probably minus single digits or teens. Coldest I remember feeling was fishing in Siberia in November. Getting my beard iced up (with salt water) was a good thing, as it provided better insulation against the wind. :S:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I don't know what the temp was but it was the Blizzard of '93 in Atlanta. It was a contributing factor in my decision for divorce...

Lost power at about 4pm. Gas heat but electric blower. For safety's sake, I turned off the pilot light on the gas heater.

We built up a good fire in the fireplace and put down blankets and such in front of it and crashed out... me, the wife and our 4 yr old son.

1am I wake up freezing-ass cold. The boy had rolled over with all the covers and the wife was gone. I hear a noise upstairs and go investigate.

The she is...in bed...watching TV...with an electric blanket. Power had come back on and she had left us downstairs to freeze our butts off.
>:(
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't know what the temp was but it was the Blizzard of '93 in Atlanta. It was a contributing factor in my decision for divorce...

(snip)

The she is...in bed...watching TV...with an electric blanket. Power had come back on and she had left us downstairs to freeze our butts off.
>:(

That bitch! I remember that blizzard. It was the last big one to hit here too. 12 inches of snow. 24 in the northeast corner of Alabama, some 6 feet in the NY mountains. Crazy shit... :S Of course, there was a HUGE spike in births 9 months later! ;)

I believe we just set a record low in Denver five days ago. -18F. That did not include wind chill.

Reminds me of when I was a kid (I grew up near the Colorado mountains). I was in Boy Scouts, and we had this thing called a "Polar Bear badge", where you camp out in the winter at a time when it falls below freezing (32F). Well, we camped out on a weekend when it got to -11F one night. Sure, we were young boys and just as homophobic as the next 13-year old, but nights like that are when you and your best friend share a sleeping bag for warmth. And no one talks about it the next day :D But it's a good experience, because I've camped out many nights since when it got below zero.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

IIRC............I read a sign once at Roger's pass, Montana. It says "A few miles from here the coldest temperature in the lower 48 states was recorded at a mining camp." I think it was -79 or -74 F. Something near that. That's near the town of Lincoln. The "Unibomber" town. :D Along the Continental Divide.

IIRC............I read a sign once at Roger's pass, Montana. It says "A few miles from here the coldest temperature in the lower 48 states was recorded at a mining camp." I think it was -79 or -74 F. Something near that. That's near the town of Lincoln. The "Unibomber" town. :D Along the Continental Divide.

There was a day in Montana, don't remember when, that one city recorded the largest drop and rise in temperature in one day. I think it was something like 60 degrees in the morning, then arctic air blew in and it was -20 degrees by lunchtime, and then by dinnertime it was back to 60 degrees. Anybody have any info on that or remember it?