BillyVance

What's the coldest temperature you've ever seen where you live?

When I lived in Saskatchewan I remember -45 C once.

For those of you still on the "other" system, that's -49 F

About the same here. -45 or -46oC ...

But it's a dry cold.

:P

I bet it is warm between your legs though.

I hear that's a moist warmth. :o:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

When I lived in Saskatchewan I remember -45 C once.

For those of you still on the "other" system, that's -49 F

About the same here. -45 or -46oC ...

But it's a dry cold.

:P

I bet it is warm between your legs though.

I hear that's a moist warmth. :o:P

That's gotta be a record. 26 posts before it went sexual ...

On the up side, Stitch, you're on a sexual record. On the down side, it's not in a good way ...

:P:P

:D:D
'Shell

I remember my mom telling us to look at each other faces so we can watch for frost bites on our cheeks. I was later told the thermometer indicated -53 F. It was near James Bay. up north...way up.
There is a Skydiving club or clan in Quebec that calls itself the "Flying Polar Bears Order". You want ton be a member? All you have to do is jump out of an a/c when the temp on the ground is -15C and have a witness (alive) than can testify...
now

One day when I was growing up in Montana it got down to -40 or so with -70 windchills. What made it so bad was that a train also derailed in town the same day creating a large explosion knocking out power and gas lines to the whole city. People had to evacuate their homes, pipes were freezing, and my dad cooked us pancakes on a coleman camping stove on the back porch. That was the only day school was EVER canceled due to cold!!

In February of 96, I was on my way back from Eloy. The temperature in Phoenix when we got on the airplane to come home was 68F. When we touched down in Wisconsin we were in the middle of record lows. The temperature we touched down in was -55F. That doesn't included the wind chill factor. I can't remember exactly, but the wind chill was about -120F, so factor in the wind chill and the "real feel" temperature was like -80F. No skydiving that weekend.

We're currently at -16F with a real feel temperature of -33F. Brrr...
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

In Melbourne, FL (where I am now), probably about 30.
I saw 0 a few times when I was living in Denver, about the same in S Korea, down to -5 or -10 in both places.

ETA: I've found I get used to cold pretty quick, and the dangerous part of that is remembering that water on the ground is frozen. Denver was my first experience of winter, and I busted my @$$ 4 or 5 times one night when I slipped on some ice and fell down some stairs

I don't know where it was on the thermometer (hence, "seeing" the cold), but every few years we get cold weather and have a blast where our highs are below zero and our lows are in double digits below. Still, I think it probably was only in the - twenties.

It probably comes from Canada. :P

I'd say "fuck you" but that might come off as a PA.

So I'll say ... nothing ...

:):):):)

:o:D:D:D

(I'm just bitter about the game yesterday. :P Okay, not really.)
TPM Sister #102

There was a night time low in San Jose a couple months ago of 24 degrees F. Burr, that's the coldest temp. I've seen at my house. There was actually a layer of ice on my car:o We occasionally get light frost but, ice? At 9AM? I'm not used to that. luckily it only lasted for a couple of days.

I know I'm a wuss:P
Fly like a girl

We were supposed to jump into a winter carnivalon above Lake St Clair at Detroit Mi, as often as wecould for the ice fishing tournamwnt. We also would get banquet tickets with the band and gambling too. Only problem it was minus20F out side. It took forever to pre heat the plane then start it ,then wamr the engine. We finally made one jump at 4000. We then went inside to repack. Someone gave us a beer , Then 13 pitchers later we got thrown out for not jumping enough. It was still fun and no need to be repeated. As this is Super-Bowl Sunday Party the out-door portion will be in 6F weather at the bon fire. As usual no one knows who is playing and a designated quarter watcher will yell the score out. It will be replied with" So what whos square won."I am getting crabby as I did not get to jump in Michigan in January and this month isnt looking much better

We had a group of Canadians come down to our dropzone for a weekend b/c their dz was at -40...but they said they commonly jump -20...but the -40 was too much. I was like :o
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

-12F????
In Bama???

DUDE.. Wind chill temps dont count.. AMBIENT without the wind...

Here.... coldest was 15 in Seattle

Coldest I have been in is -54F.. camping out no less in AK at the USAF COOL School...shall we say going potty is a real bitch..

When I was a kid growing up in Huntsville, Alabama, I don't remember what year, but it got down to -12F. Fuck, that's cold for Alabama! :o

Where I live now, 3F a few years ago. It's already been as low as 12F this winter.

-13F (-25°C) near Munich, Germany... (with 104F / 40°C as the high point last summer:S)
-35F (-37°C) in the Swiss alps...

I personally remember a temperature of -17 F one morning waiting for the bus to show up when I was a kid. No idea what the wind chill was. We will have record lows over the next few nights, its forecasted for -4 F tonight and -8 F or so tomorrow night.

The coldest I've ever jumped it was a somewhere between 30 and 40 F, and right at 0 F at altitude (9,500').

As far as the airplanes go, I've read several stories written by bush pilots, and it seems once the temperature gets much below -40 or so, even if the oil and block and everything are pre-warmed airplanes just don't want to fly. The control surfaces freeze if they aren't moved, the engine has a hard time keeping itself warm enough to run, etc.

I seem to remember 18F in Lakeland FL on the day the shuttle exploded in 1986. Very clear sky with a clear and sickening view of the accident from over 100mi away. I don't recall any colder temps here except maybe Christmas 1983. I'm just too young to remember anything before the 1950's. :-)