IAMBuddha

Drugs and heavy alcohol use

I thought JohnMitchell had a valid point, "Why wouldn't you believe a tandem student (or any other student, novice or experienced) deserve a sober instructor/coach/rigger/etc? Would anyone, who is anyone, in skydiving think 'they' would NOT deserve one? Sounds like the USPA or FAA has no regluations on on the subject.

The 8 hour bottle to throttle rule is not applicable to tandem instructors, even thought they need a 3rd class medical certificate.

Let me quote my earlier post:

"I figure the FAA would take a dim view of any TM drinking less than 8 hours prior to jumping or jumping with a measurable BA. Is that written for TM's? I don't think so, but, like I said, maybe it's a good place to start."

The 8 hour bottle to throttle rule is not applicable to tandem instructors, even thought they need a 3rd class medical certificate.

Let me quote my earlier post:

"I figure the FAA would take a dim view of any TM drinking less than 8 hours prior to jumping or jumping with a measurable BA. Is that written for TM's? I don't think so, but, like I said, maybe it's a good place to start."

14 CFR 91.17 prohibits flying

1. Within 8 hours of consumption of alcohol
2. While under the influence of alcohol
3. While using drugs contrary to any safety
4. While having a blood alcohol content greater than .04%

where #2 may be stricter than #4.

I once got freefly coaching from someone that showed up that morning and I could smell the alcohol from across the room. Big let down.

I know a freeflyer who smashed his car and several road signs, lost his bumper aka license plate, got caught in the morning, took a breath test and still failed, lost his drivers license and went up in the air again but.......

He brushed his teeth :) so I don't care.

Rule number one: have fun, drink hard, stay late...
Rule number two: never give freefly coaching in the morning!
Rule number three: never receive freefly coaching in the morning.
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

once got freefly coaching from someone that showed up that morning and I could smell the alcohol from across the room. Big let down.

Big let down?

Was the flying sub-par?

Was the coaching ineffective?

Let's be real here, what you did was hire a freefly coach. This is a guy who's good at falling out of airplanes, and telling other people how to fall out of airplanes. You didn't hire a life coach, or a saviour, or a role model, it's a guy who can tell you how to be a better freeflyer.

If the flying or coaching left something to be desired, then by all means bring this up when it's time to pay the man.

Aside from that, realize that if he did his job, and you paid him his money, that's the end of your transaction. It doesn't include you telling him how to live his life or conduct himself professionally.

This entire thread is retarded. This is a sport that fully embraces the concept that every 'first' needs to be recognized by buying a case of beer for the DZ fridge.

This is that same group of people who, when asked about tipping instructors, repeatedly suggests that money is impersonal, but every instructor would be happy with a cold one at the end of the day.

Anyone who is remotely surprised that the drinking or drug usage bleeds over into the daytime must be an idiot, We're talking about sustances that have been proven to be addictive, and then you're surpirsed when skydivers have trouble drawing the line as when and when not to partake?

Come on people. Wake up.

We're talking about sustances that have been proven to be addictive, and then you're surpirsed when skydivers have trouble drawing the line as when and when not to partake?

You talk about nylon and kerosene, don't you? :)
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

We're talking about sustances that have been proven to be addictive, and then you're surpirsed when skydivers have trouble drawing the line as when and when not to partake?

You talk about nylon and kerosene, don't you? :)

you forgot adrenaline and endorphine.. B|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I am suprised that there have been so few posts or safety articles written about drug and alcohol use in skydiving, especially in regards to instructors who abuse these substances. Please note I say "heavy" use. As a recent student, I am concerned with the quality of instruction and the clarity of judgement that is given from someone who has been partying until 3-4 in the morning and get up only a few hours later to teach AFF or do tandems. Alcohol and drug use seems to be acceptable and part of the "cool" skydiving lifestyle, although, people's lives are literally in their hands.

I don't believe any skydiver would fully trust their Reserve being packed by someone sh!tfaced or high - why accept lifesaving instructions from that same person? Again let me state, topping off a few brewskies is not a problem - even seeing the occasional joint I would not fret about - but, HEAVY use...at what point is too much?

Higher pay (should)=greater responsiblilty and self control. This is only my opinion, however, I believe this subject has been largely overlooked.

Hey Bub-ah,
Funny U should mention that? Why bother to rant here. If anyone is going to do anything about "your problem" it's the DZO's and Pilots. It's their DZ, $$$$, Licenses, and planes. If "your problem" is so rampent, why don't they do something about it, they're the ones with power to hire and fire.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Where does it say that? and how is it applied to Skydiving Instructors?

Since a tandem rating requires a class III medical and is regulated by the FAA in part 105, I figure the FAA would take a dim view of any TM drinking less than 8 hours prior to jumping or jumping with a measurable BA. Is that written for TM's? I don't think so, but, like I said, maybe it's a good place to start.

14 CFR 105 does not directly require a tandem instructor to hold any medical certificate. However, it does requires a TI to be certified by the manufacturer. UPT and Strong require the medical (not sure about the other manufacturers). I have been unable to locate anywhere else in the FAR that would require a medical if the manufacturer did not. If anyone else can correct me with a cite to the FAR, please do so.

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—

(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:

(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—

(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and

(iii) Holds a master parachute license issued by an organization recognized by the FAA, and

(iv) Has successfully completed a tandem instructor course given by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute system used in the parachute operation or a course acceptable to the Administrator.

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachute manufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachute system to be used.