sinjin

selling a main canopy, need some help please

i am selling a main canopy and my DZ is closed today and i need some help. I have a sabre with soft links and velcroless risers. do most people sell the canopy without the risers. and if so, should a rigger be the one to remove the canopy from the risers. ??? if i can do it, what is the process. and if they sell are sold with the risers, what is the used value. my dz is closed today and i am looking for some help. thanks.
dont let life pass you by

Slinks are easy to remove - just find the tab, and thread it back out through the lines.

You will make the person you are selling the canopy to MUCH happier if you do something to keep the line groups organized. Put rubber bands around each group and/or thread them on a piece of cardboard with each line group labeled.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Risers & deployment bag (& pilot chute) stay with the container, lines go with the canopy... slinks (soft links)... well that depends how generous you are!! :P

You can undo slinks easily yourself unless they have been sewn/tacked to your risers, if you can't unthread them by hand ask someone who knows before you start cutting stuff!! :o

If you decide to give the new owner the slinks keep the lines on the slinks. If you keep the slinks for your next canopy then loosely knot the lines from each riser together... your buyer will thank you if you don't send the canopy with all the lines looe and tangled together :S

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Slinks are easy to remove - just find the tab, and thread it back out through the lines.

You will make the person you are selling the canopy to MUCH happier if you do something to keep the line groups organized. Put rubber bands around each group and/or thread them on a piece of cardboard with each line group labeled.

Just leave them on the slinks and adjust the price accordingly.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

slinks (soft links)... well that depends how generous you are!!

Including the links is not generous. Since canopies come from the factory with links, it's expected that they be included when you sell a canopy used.

If you keep the slinks for your next canopy then loosely knot the lines from each riser together...your buyer will thank you if you don't send the canopy with all the lines looe and tangled together

If I were the buyer, I'd ship it back as soon as I saw there were no links - and I'd expect to have the cost of shipping in both directions refunded.

YMMV, of course.

ok,, i think i am going to leave the slinks .. it looks that they are sewed to the riser.. should i have a rigger take that off or can i do it myself with one of those stitching removal gizmos. thanks for all the fast replys, it is greatly appreciated and why i love skydiving.

pablo

ok,, i think i am going to leave the slinks .. it looks that they are sewed to the riser.. should i have a rigger take that off or can i do it myself with one of those stitching removal gizmos. thanks for all the fast replys, it is greatly appreciated and why i love skydiving.

pablo

While it can be done, it's pretty easy to do damage to your risers if you're not careful.

If you need to do it and can't find a rigger, try pulling the tack cord away from the webbing a little bit (with your fingers), that way you don't accidentally cut anything you don't want to.

If you try to take the stitching out yourself with a seam ripper be VERY careful. ANY fiber cut on the risers or the slinks essentially ruins them. (others may differ but that's the default answer)

There is no rule or law that says you shouldn't. And most riggers gain an interest in rigging by messing around with their own main stuff.;)

After you undo the slink, LEAVE THE LINES ON THE SLINK. Rethread the tab on the slink in some way to keep the lines on the Slinks. Set each one aside carefully as you take it off. Then stack them one on top of the other and wrap a rubber band around them. Then daisy chain the lines. This all is to keep the lines in order on the links and to keep them from flipping through their own line group or another line group. Makes reassembly MUCH easier.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

FWIW I usually just chop the bartacking with diagonal cutters or nail clippers (while pulling it away from the risers so I dont chance chopping them too). Otherwise, leaving the line groups in sets would be nice - if you for some reason dont have slinks/links you can always use something like fishing line or zipties. And create your own "ghetto rigging (tm)" cardboard card. Of course you can just send the canopy with lines all mangled up and see how pissed of the person on the other end will get :)

thanks everyone for the posts.. i kept the lines organized and put them on a cardboard with an elastic. they were slinks afterall and i did not remove them from the lines. i am sure the buyer appreciated it. i learn tons from this dropzone forum as a new skydiver and thanks to all the people/moderators that make this a great site.