ACMESkydiver

What's The WORST Kind of Physical Pain?

Shattering my heel at Bridge Day hurt, but not so bad due to huge amount of natural drugs coursing thru my veins (adrenaline ROCKS!!). I still giggle when I think about the BD staff guy who ran over when I biffed in:
BD Guy: "Are you OK?"
Me: "No"
BD Guy: "Is it broken?"
Me: "Yeah"
BD Guy: "Does it hurt?"
Me : Giving BD Guy a quizical look, which I hope he read as "I think you got your questions in the wrong order!"!
:S

When the post-surgery wound got infected and the Neanderthal surgeon had me stuffing brine-soaked gauze into the wound each day, wrapping it up, and then ripping it out the following day, that hurt like buggery (just an expression ;) ) too.....

But my worse pain was having multiple Portuguese Man-O-War tentacles wrapped around my chest........it was like having a wire wrapped around you, then plugging in into the mains until it is white hot.......nae fun!!!

And then getting to the beach and having a frantic mother screaming "Piss on it!!!" just made things oh so much better!! "No thanks Mum - I'll tough it out 'til I get to the hospital"!! :D

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

inner ear pain-:)

I couldn't agree more with that one!! 10 sets of tubes in 11 years and more ear infections than you can count. I don't know how I ever made it through. And that was BEFORE I ever started drinking!

Next would definitely be tooth pain. Knocked out both front teeth (permanent) in second grade and had exposed nerves hanging out of my gums. You know when the dentist has to make whatever he's working on dry...and uses that little air blower....AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH. The worst!
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

When I broke my back it was in a racing accident. Also dislocated a shoulder and a knee, plus lots of bruises and a concusion. Lucky for me I was numbed by the trauma so I didn't really hurt until much later. But I'll always remember the track worker who first got to me...

"Holy Shit!" Then turns and yells, "He's alive!"

My thoughts were, "Wow...musta been a good 'un."

"Are you hurting anywhere?"

"Huh?"

"Ok...don't move. The EMTs are on the way"

"Why would I move? I like where I live."

"Do you know where you are?"

"Huh? Oh...yeah."

"Where?"

"Uh...uh...hang on, I'll remember in a minute. Where did all these people come from?"

The conversation was caught on tape. At the time it wasn't very funny, but years later it's hilarious!:D

oh, I forgot about the time my wife crashed her quad, and pushed her knee cap around the back side of the knee. oh it gets worse. She is so far back in the woods, she has to be taken out on another quad...bump bump bump bump...then at the hospital, the doctor tricks her, says she is going to take a look, grabs jenni's knee, and quickly snaps the cap back into place...no pain killers. Jenni's mom was down the hall and says the enitre hospital heard the scream. The doc did the right thing though, the paic was far less moments after the she had put it back in place.:o

The worst pain ive ever been in was when i dislocated my shoulder. v 6 hours of pain before it was relocated. hurt so much that i punched the xray tech in the face.

I've dislocated my shoulder several times and had 3 surgeries. The worst of the dislocations was reduced without drugs. The worst of the surgeries included harvesting bone from my pelvis and bolting it to the front of the shoulder. That stung.

Meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain & spinal cord) hurts a fair amount. Take the worst headache you can possibly imagine add unrelenting nausea, light sensitivity, and a stiff spine, then curl into a fetal position for a couple of spinal taps 12 hours apart. Having spent a week plus in the hospital with a viral form, and my brother having died from the bacterial form, I'd vote "Not for the timid."

Still, I think the worst I've experienced was testicular torsion. Ow fucking ow...that shit smarts!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

this is second hand so i do my best. my wife had back surgery to correct scoleosis (spelling?) and her pancrease got bumped...turn into pancreatitus. she could not eat for 3 months, so every day, to keep her stomach from digesting itself, and shrinking, the nurses would shove a tube down her throat, fill her stomach with saline, and drain it. this procedure was actually less painfull then the starvation pain. she was kept alive by introvenus IV, but got down to 85 pounds at age 17.

so one day, she is sitting there in bed, going nuts from not eating for 2 months. this cheerio has been sitting on the floor for 2 days under the next patients bed...yep, she gave in...and it tasted good. think about this next time you feel like your starving...:o

Oh dang! :(:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I know, much like child birth, not everyone has had the experience, but along with that menstral cramps can be debilitating! Anything else the Docs are usually giving you narcotics, but cramps there seems to be little truley effective pain management!

Muff Brother 3723

Perhaps it sounds odd, because I've had broken bones, torn up knee, separated shoulder, whiplash, concussions, etc. I haven't had kidney stones or pancreatitis or anything, but...

Absolutely the most painful and debilitating injury I ever had was a torn plantar fascia on my right foot. I couldn't walk, hop - anything for weeks. Every move hurt like hell. Any weight on the foot hurt like a motherfucker. I might as well have been paralyzed but able to feel red hot knives twisting in it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The worst pain in the world is trigeminal neuralgia, pain bad enough to kill my old man

Winner. :(

Google quotes include:
"By many, it's called the "suicide disease"."

and

"Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is not fatal, but it is universally considered to be the most painful affliction known to medical practice. "

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Burns!!! Been there and done that and its not so much the burns but the weeks of debreibment that follows!

Debridement is hell, isn't it? Nothing like letting someone skin you alive a little bit each day, day after day after day...

You're right. That was much worse than the burns.

Voted other. I've had every one of the listed options. None of them compare to being sprayed with oleoresin capsicum, aka
OC spray. That's the stuff they issue cops. One mother in my department said it was worse than childbirth. While I've never given birth, I don't doubt it.

Think about that nasty burn on your face. Now make it magnesium flames in every pore. Think about geting sand in your eyes. Now make it little bits of lava. And so on. And the water does not make it go away. At all. It just makes it hurt less a half hour later.

We don't have fancy medicines, breathing, or a hubby's hand to crush. We ge to run, talk, shoot, and talk before they even think about giving us the hose.

Obviously, none of that comes close to Tom or Gawain's experience. All I've got for them is a "wow" and the first round.
(not to mention much respect for other reasons for both of them)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Worst for me was gout. One time I had it in my ankle and crawled from my front door to my car in the rain to go to the doctor. The breeze from the heater fan in the house passing over my ankle was unbearable.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

First - Gawain and Tom, you are both incredibly strong men. I have nothing to compare.

I've had enormous pain three times in my life; once when they thought an overy was rupturing (it didn't...and we still aren't sure what the issue was). Waves of pain radiating out through the abdomen and into the chest, huge fever, absolutely incredible fire sensation throughout the trunk of my body.

When I was 7, I was hit by a car. Tossed some 20 feet. Landed on my head, and was knocked out. Was fine until I was in the hospital, and then I was screaming from the pain. Nothing broken, but apparently I was pretty badly banged up; severe concussion, neck and back soft tissue injuries.

But the absolute worst pain I've ever felt was when I got a scratched cornea in both eyes - from wearing contacts too long. It felt like a white hot needle piercing my eyeballs and searing into the back of my head. My whole head felt like it was going to explode - not kidding. And I wanted it to explode.

A few broken bones, lots of other things, several surgeries...but two scratched corneas were the absolute worst.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

First - Gawain and Tom, you are both incredibly strong men. I have nothing to compare.

I've had enormous pain three times in my life; once when they thought an overy was rupturing (it didn't...and we still aren't sure what the issue was). Waves of pain radiating out through the abdomen and into the chest, huge fever, absolutely incredible fire sensation throughout the trunk of my body.

When I was 7, I was hit by a car. Tossed some 20 feet. Landed on my head, and was knocked out. Was fine until I was in the hospital, and then I was screaming from the pain. Nothing broken, but apparently I was pretty badly banged up; severe concussion, neck and back soft tissue injuries.

But the absolute worst pain I've ever felt was when I got a scratched cornea in both eyes - from wearing contacts too long. It felt like a white hot needle piercing my eyeballs and searing into the back of my head. My whole head felt like it was going to explode - not kidding. And I wanted it to explode.

A few broken bones, lots of other things, several surgeries...but two scratched corneas were the absolute worst.

Ciels-
Michele

Working in the Er the ones who appear in the most pain would be Dental or eye pain, although we don't see a whole lot of burns...burns are bad juju...wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

My worst ever pain was from high speed impact. I hit water at about 85 mph with a not-yet-inflated canopy. I broke my T12 and L2 vertebrae, and exploded the L1. I also severely bruised the entire lower half of my body, and (worst of all) effectively got an enema at 85 mph from dirty river water. The river water enema severely lacerated my rectum and exploded my colon, spraying it's contents (and a good dose of the river water) into my abdominal cavity.

Whenever I see a doctor who asks me "on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt..." I have to explain that whole story, so that they understand where my personal scale is calibrated, so that they don't dismiss my "4" as "no big deal."

My doctor straight up told me that childbirth would be less painful. And yeah, I think that anal rape would hurt less.

You know what Tom, I think I'm gonna take a rain check on that BASE jump you offered to help me with a year or so ago...:|

OM(f'n)G!!!!! :o:o:o:o:(

Big huge props for having the huevos to do it again after an incident like that. My good gravy I don't think I'd be able to even cross a bridge again after that. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Having a bone marrow sample taken. I know why people don't donate marrow to help people who need it
because it is the worst pain I have ever felt. Ever.

There's a possibility to donate bone marrow through donating blood now: http://www.nmdp.org/

Much more accesible, hope it gets lots of people enrolled, and many lives saved !

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)