SuperGirl

help with charcoal on walls

Ah, we're thinking "different" style dorm rooms. The one I think they live in is your traditional, run of the mill, one room "bedroom". No kitchen, no hallway, bathrooms shared with a bunch of other people you didn't know until you arrived at school.

No, I think I'm just a bad typist. You and I are thinking alike. (note: I lived in these single room dorm rooms for 6 years while I went to school :S).

By matching the other rooms and hallway, I was -meaning- outside her little dorm room. A school has a particular color they demand for their facilities. Usually Ivory in color. I'd have her go to the dean and make sure she gets an exact match. They might even supply her with the paint, if they know she'll do the work. :)
ltdiver

Or I'm bad at comprehending you. :P

I work in a student residence at the UofA and yes, they have a colour they use and yes, they'll give it to you if you have to repaint!

And it's that ugly institutional beige. Some paint company is getting rich off student residences!

:D:D
'Shell

I never lived in the dorms at my current school, but my sister did. At her dorm at least, they would let you paint your room whatever color you want. If I'm remembering correctly, your color (or art) became the next person's problem after you moved out! They got to repaint it whatever they wanted. They actually let you do group painting/arkwork outside in the halls.

Here at the UofA, you can paint your room whatever colour you want but you have to repaint it back to institutional beige when you leave (or they'll paint it for you and charge you for it).

They are allowed to paint murals, etc, on their floor lounges and in the tunnels to the residence towers (there are some murals that go back to the 70's). They just need to get approval from the residence student association and the residence life office. It's a pretty neat history of the towers and the floors.

Last summer, one of the summer student painters was told to paint the walls in one of the tunnels. What he WASN'T told was that he was only to paint the exposed "beige" parts and not the murals. Needless to say, about 8 murals were painted over. :S
'Shell

I never lived in the dorms at my current school, but my sister did. At her dorm at least, they would let you paint your room whatever color you want. If I'm remembering correctly, your color (or art) became the next person's problem after you moved out! They got to repaint it whatever they wanted. They actually let you do group painting/arkwork outside in the halls.

wow, that sounds totally awesome, wish we could do that...
I've always fancied the idea of having graffiti on the ceiling

these bastards charge us 'dorm damage' fees instead.

At her dorm at least, they would let you paint your room whatever color you want. If I'm remembering correctly, your color (or art) became the next person's problem after you moved out! They got to repaint it whatever they wanted. They actually let you do group painting/arkwork outside in the halls.

Interesting. The schools where I attended were more like 'apartment-like-policy'. They inspected the rooms before you moved in and after you left. If anything was damaged (even tape on the walls) they billed you.

Normal wear and tear were okay, but nothing outside of that.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I've been to that kind of party before...back in the late '60s.
:D:D

We just left ours on the wall. At your next safety meeting, you'll be glad you did.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

can't help you with the walls, but I have a great sheep joke to go with your skydiving sheep.

A Cowboy meets an Indian herding sheep in the Black Hills.
Cowboy: "Hey, cool dog you got there. Mind if I speak to him?"
Indian: "Dog no talk."
Cowboy: "Hey dog, how's it going?"
Dog: "Doin' all right."
Indian: (Look of shock!)
Cowboy: "Is this Indian your owner?" (pointing at the Indian)
Dog: "Yep."
Cowboy: "How does he treat you?"
Dog: "Real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food and takes me to the lake once a week to play."
Indian: (Look of total disbelief)
Cowboy: "Mind if I talk to your horse?"
Indian: "Horse no talk."
Cowboy: "Hey horse, how's it going?"
Horse: "Cool."
Indian: (Extreme look of shock!)
Cowboy: "Is this your owner?" (pointing to the Indian)
Horse: "Yep."
Cowboy: "How's he treat you?"
Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking, he rides me, brushes me down often, and keeps me in a lean-to to protect me from the elements."
Indian: (Look of total amazement)
Cowboy: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"
Indian: "Sheep lie."
Mistakes-It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.