aardvarkeater

Colors to avoid?

I think we should avoid black for pilot chutes. If you are in the woods or even tall grass looking for a cutaway baglock it won't matter that the canopy is bright yellow. You will be looking for a d-bag (usually black or dark blue) and some lines and your pilot chute. Electric blue or neon pink are a lot easier to find than black or grey.

Just something else to think about. Oh, and remember that it only shows after deployment. You can color the handle any way you like to match the rig.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

As a Member of S.A.P.P.S (Skydivers Against Pink and Purple Shit), I must advise against Pink and Purple canopies unless you have the Mullet to pull it off.;)

Other wise your color choice sound good.

That's O.K.! My gear and main, are Navy and Neon Pink! It takes a manly man to jump pink! Oh... and I don't have a mullet!:D:D

Chuck

Finally someone has a pink main! Do you know how hard it is to find a used canopy with pink in it. I have actually been trying to find one. No luck so just had to buy stock colors since there were no used pink ones. :D
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

I think we should avoid black for pilot chutes. If you are in the woods or even tall grass looking for a cutaway baglock it won't matter that the canopy is bright yellow. You will be looking for a d-bag (usually black or dark blue) and some lines and your pilot chute. Electric blue or neon pink are a lot easier to find than black or grey.

Just something else to think about. Oh, and remember that it only shows after deployment. You can color the handle any way you like to match the rig.

Good point! Neon colored pilot chutes are much easier to find.

Chuck

As a Member of S.A.P.P.S (Skydivers Against Pink and Purple Shit), I must advise against Pink and Purple canopies unless you have the Mullet to pull it off.;)

Other wise your color choice sound good.

That's O.K.! My gear and main, are Navy and Neon Pink! It takes a manly man to jump pink! Oh... and I don't have a mullet!:D:D

Chuck

Finally someone has a pink main! Do you know how hard it is to find a used canopy with pink in it. I have actually been trying to find one. No luck so just had to buy stock colors since there were no used pink ones. :D

Yiou are so right! In the mid nineties, everyone had pink in their mains. I had one customer (he) who had a pink reserve! Now, like you said, it's hard to find.

Chuck

I got a used 135 in Royal and Pink sitting in the closet waiting on it's new rig.
As Chuck says it takes a Man to jump Pink;).

I also have a bright orange main canopy, solid orange.

Matt

My canopy is blue with pink ribs and stabalizers B| First canopy, I could've cared less about the colors.

I made a mistake with my RW suit. It was Red & Blue with yellow grippers, when I put in on, it looked like a clown suit, i would recommend staying away from that color scheme. SO I painted all the grippers black, now everyone calls me spiderman, I can live with that.

I don't think canopy colors matter. I don't have a lot of jumps, but I'm on my THIRD USED canopy. I don't recommend buying a brand new canopy, you won't want to give it up. Buying used lets you feel better about going form one canopy to another when YOU want to, not you wallet. I bought my heatwave for 200 bucks on here, and the most I've paid is 350. I'm glad I haven't bought new because I think I'll be going back UP in canopy size in another year or so. I love my 135, but getting older.

So I agree with another post, match you colors for container and suit, but don't worry about the canopy. You'll want to change it anyway.
Brad

My new-to-me canopy is all black with red ribs. I was not really comfortable being under it on a (slightly late) sunset load with lower light conditions because I know it made me significantly less visible.

Grey is significantly less visible than black in low light conditions.

I've seen a large number of canopy flights in low light conditions. By far the stealthiest canopy I've ever seen was mostly grey, with some purple, and black lines. From a few hundred feet the thing completely disappeared.

Obviously my interest in this topic is from the opposite direction of most of yours, but I think some of the information is applicable if you just look for what I'd pick and avoid it as much as possible.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I wish I could have a royal blue and pink main... it would match all of my other gear which is black with royal and neon pink. Alas my main is silver and black. I suppose when I get down to a size that I plan on being at for a while I'll bite the bullet and get a custom main in my colors.:P

I guess its totally ok for me to have pink cuz I'm a girl;)

We had someone local buy a reserve to match her main. She thought it would be neat.

BAD IDEA. Example: you climb outside an airplane. Suddenly, you are pulled from the step (premature deployment). You look up and see your canopy wrapped around the tail. SAME canopy colors you see everytime you look up after deployment. Instinctively, you cut away right away. Nothing happens. You realize it's you reserve that is wrappeed around the tail... You have a hooknive, but what's the purpose of using it since you ALREADY cut away your main...

Instinctively, you cut away right away. Nothing happens. You realize it's you reserve that is wrappeed around the tail... You have a hooknive, but what's the purpose of using it since you ALREADY cut away your main...

That's a nice example of acting before thinking.

That's a nice example of acting before thinking.

I saw the video of the guy at the convention wrapped around the tail of the otter. I would try to reach a pretty quick plan of action myself. I don't want to have to study my risers to figure out which canopy deployed prematurely and is above my head. Just my thoughts.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Earlier this year we had a potentially pretty bad malfunction at our DZ. I was driving the van, standing on the landing field watching, wasn't sure what I was seeing: I thought 2 streamering mains?!? Maybe from CRW???? Jumper was in the middle, both canopies slowly rotating. Very very scary. Then very low one canopy released and flew away, leaving one main? With a few linetwists too.

Turned out a jumper had a partial cutaway so the main was still attached on one side and the reserve wouldn't open. When the main was finally gotten rid of, the reserve opened fine (<1000 ft). Turned out it was a Raven reserve with as much colors in it as the main :S Well i suppose the jumper knew what was going on, we sure as hell didn't at first!

I'll take a solid color (white/blue/yellow/pink/....) reserve anyday, and it also has to be a very different color from my main so that if they're both out I can clearly see the difference!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I saw the video of the guy at the convention wrapped around the tail of the otter. I would try to reach a pretty quick plan of action myself. I don't want to have to study my risers to figure out which canopy deployed prematurely and is above my head. Just my thoughts.

I have seen video when someone got stucked on a tailgate and got some riser damage.

I'd rather check my risers before make a decision of life and death.

Exactly my point: we need a conspicuous, stand-alone color that would immediately be noticed by air/ground people as a reserve deployment. It would take a few years but by attrition, gradually all reserve canopies would be the same color. Free-bags and pc's also should be a vivid color to enable location after cutaways as discussed earlier in this forum.

I saw the video of the guy at the convention wrapped around the tail of the otter.

The jumper involved posted it on his website:

http://www.amador.org/gallery2/v/movies/

BTW, pause the video in the 7th second and look at the main container - it is open at that time. Overall, makes for a pretty spectacular (and scary) video :o!

Whole thread here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1192698#1192698

My freebag is white, reserve pc is white with dayglo orange top. Excellent! I couldn't find it at first after just cutting away, then saw something go flash-flash-flash. As the freebag was dropping it was tumbling/rotating and the orange bit worked like a flashlight :)
Have spent half a day locating a black pc once [:/] Why make em BLACK?!? :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

After looking at your canopy color choices as posted on page one I would advise against the center 3 cells of your canopy being a dark color. My main has the center 3 cells navy blue and every time I cut it away it lands in a wad navy side up and is very hard to find. Something to think about if you don't jump in the middle of nowhere. :P

I didn't read the rest of the thread yet, so my apologies if you've changed your color scheme since.