aardvarkeater

Colors to avoid?

I have a question about gear colors. Within the next year I'll be purchasing new gear including a jumpsuit, main, reserve, and container. I'd like for the colors to match up on everything and therefore been planning out the colors to be used. I'll be purchasing the jumpsuit first so I need to decide in the next month or so. My question is, are there any specific colors or color combinations to avoid? My main concern would be a jumpsuit and/or canopy that may make me less visible to other skydivers. In addition I don't want to be using color combinations that other teams might have "dibs" on.

The color scheme I'm leaning towards is black as the dominant color with silver/gray and yellow as accent colors. My suit, container, and main would incorporate all these colors while my reserve would probably be solid yellow. Does anyone see any potential issues with these colors?
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

I'll probably be doing most of my jumping in the southeast, GA, SC, NC, etc. Max average highs in these areas get around 90F. I'm the kind of person who will wear jeans on a hot summer day so I'm not too worried about being hot for a few minutes.
However when I do decide to start going out west I think your advice about a cooler color suit is a good idea. Probably at that time I'll look for cheaper suit in a different color.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

My new-to-me canopy is all black with red ribs. I was not really comfortable being under it on a (slightly late) sunset load with lower light conditions because I know it made me significantly less visible. Otherwise, I've got no trouble with all black. You mentioned using lighter colors as accent colors - maybe get one or two cells or more in an accent color.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The color scheme I'm leaning towards is black as the dominant color with silver/gray and yellow as accent colors. My suit, container, and main would incorporate all these colors while my reserve would probably be solid yellow.

Yellow will show soil easily, and will be tough to clean. If it's just edging on your rig and jumpsuit, or something like that, no big deal. But if you have big swaths of yellow panels, look out. Especially on the knees and fanny where you will be sliding across grass.

As for reserves, do you mean the reserve canopy? Who cares what color it is! It's rarely used, and then the only thing that matters is that it works. Just leave it white, in the raw. That's serves as a signal to others on the ground and in the air, that you've had a problem and are under a reserve, so that they can help look out for you. The problem with colorful reserves is that nobody recognizes them as reserves.

Black, silver and gray is a classy combination.

Update: I've seen your images now. Yeah, yellow on the jumpsuit grippers is great. They won't show soil much in those locations, and are a good accent for people to find them in freefall for docking. They look good to me.

Bright colors are subject to some fading over time.

...I don't want to be using color combinations that other teams might have "dibs" on.

This is very true. Some DZs have "gang" colors, and if you show up wearing those, you'll be beaten senseless on sight.

My rigger prefers light blue reserves. When checking stitching, easier to see the white threads against the blue fabric. White on white is harder.

Regarding the suit. All black with highlights will look like every other black suit with highlights. Add a little more color so you can be seen more easily on video.B| My suit has a lot of blue with yellow and grey that both tend to show the dirt.[:/] But those that dock on me in the formation have no problem finding their slot.

Having a dark center cell is good. After many pack jobs while sweating in the summer, a light colored one will show the dirt.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Add a little more color so you can be seen more easily on video.

Unless, of course, you decide to get into bigway relative work. Then you want all black, so you look like all the other all black-clad folks, and won't stand out on video :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Damn. Bit late now... [:/] It's 3 months since I ordered. I actually chose a white cell because the student canopies at our DZ have them and someone pointed it out as making it easier to find the centre cell when packing. Didn't think about it getting dirty...
Ah well, I'll know for my next canopy! :|
Skydiving is more than a sport and more than a job: skydiving is pure passion and desire which will fill a lifetime.

I have a black/silver/purple canopy now and even though I like the colors, I have been told my canopy is hard to see in the air.

I personally hate those white/light blue/dark blue type canopies I have trouble spotting those from below.

My previous canopy was alternate magenta/yellow, signal colors for sure people always knew where I was!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Those are gorgeous.

You also met the rule of "no more than 3 colors" or it will look stupid.

I understand matching the suit and container. But why match the main? It can be anything.

I like a very bright main (neon yellow, neon orange, white), though my suit and container are pretty resellable (black, smoke, dark green).

JohnRich has a good point about the reserve. One color (nothing wrong with yellow) is easy for people to recognize you had a mal. Actually, ask you rigger what he prefers - some like white or blue for inspection (If I inspected reserves, I'd want white with dark stitching so the inspection is easier....)

We had someone local buy a reserve to match her main. She thought it would be neat. But when she had a reserve ride, no one noticed so her bag and main weren't chased.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Those are gorgeous.

Thank you.

I understand matching the suit and container. But why match the main? It can be anything.

Well I really liked the black yellow and silver combo which is why I started out with that.

What I gather from everyone's comments is having a black center cell is good since it is exposed to dirt the most. I'm thinking about dropping the colors to just black and yellow for my main canopy. I"ll put up an image once I finish playing around with options.

I see what you mean about not having a reserve that is similar to the main. I'll talk to my rigger and see what he recommends.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Well I really liked the black yellow and silver combo which is why I started out with that.

my very first custom rig was exactly the same thoughts (only black red and silver). It ALL matched main, container, jumpsuit. I was thrilled with it.

good luck

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As a Member of S.A.P.P.S (Skydivers Against Pink and Purple Shit), I must advise against Pink and Purple canopies unless you have the Mullet to pull it off.;)

Other wise your color choice sound good.

That's O.K.! My gear and main, are Navy and Neon Pink! It takes a manly man to jump pink! Oh... and I don't have a mullet!:D:D

Chuck